January 31, 2015 | 1276 users online

Fragrances - Avon - Timeless Spray Cologne

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2015 8:16:00 AM More reviews by Aimbl

Timeless is a fragrance for fans of historic vintage scent. My bottle of timeless is an older version of a dab fragrance, not the newer spray depicted above. I dislike spray application intensely as it releases too much fragrance and amplifies the powdery aspects (IMO). I don't recommend this fragrance if you spray it; it will amplify the brash, in your face, powdery qualities.

Agree with the reviews of SorceressOfTheDark and ColorfulMe below. Timeless opens in a straightforward way that comes across as a classic abstract aldehydic floral with an oriental dry down. I don't think it's like chanel 5 vintage (which I am not a fan of because of the high concentration of civet in chanel). But, neither timeless nor chanel smell like a specific flower or realistic floral blend in contrast to the more modern realistic classic aldehydic florals like EL Beautiful or Amouage Dia.

Within a few minutes, Timeless morphs into a sweet, almost oriental with a powder finish. I believe ColorfulMe described Timeless as a Balsamic oriental chypre. I have been focusing so much on green chypre, that I forgot about balsamic category. It's warmer, more oriental, and less funky than vintage Miss Dior (black and white houndstooth bottle of EdC). And, to me less oriental amber than Shalimar, but more opoponax powder. Perhaps it's analog could be LHB which I find more throat scratchingly powder than Timeless. ( Timeless does lack the anise note of LHB). Another analog could be a Caron vintage Nuit de Noel, but I think Avon's To a Wild Rose (mainly wood with a rose undertone and a bit darker) is a bit closer to NdN. I don't think of Timeless as predominantly a chypre (whereas I think of vintage Miss Dior as definitely a chypre), but perhaps that is a subjective matter where chypre and oriental might intersect.

Timeless is not a fragrance that gives the impression of darkness or complexity (what others might call murkiness) , but rather than saying it's simple in composition (it's classic composition isn't actually all that simple), one could regard it as well blended with a clear point of view. For those of us who loved the straightforward focus and in your face nature of classic oriental serge Lutens (original Borneo, Fumerie Turque, chergui) Timeless may be a better fit than the slightly more retro Cotillion; the more austere Persian Wood. It's possible that those who like Frederic Malles Eau de hiver would like this. Avon Occur could be it's funkier, animalic cousin.

I recommend buying older versions of avon, readily available on line. If possible, try to purchase full bottles that have been stored in their boxes for a possible safeguard against light deterioration. Sadly, many avon bottles were displayed in light for their kitschy, quirky charm, without regard to the preservation of content. The color of vintage Timeless should not be darkened but rather a pale to medium toned gold. I also don't liketo purchase vintage atomizer bottles (I have had bad luck with the purchase of a few vintage atomizer dior EdCs that were turned to acetone harshness but not dab or splash). If your bottle is fusty, musty, dark colored or smells rancid, then it probably was stored in light or heat. Since vintage avon is so inexpensive and readily available. I am reluctant to demote stars for this possibility.

For those who denigrate Avon as a cheap budget house or think that vintage Avon scents are 'old lady,' I would observe that vintage Avon fragrance contains more quality ingredients than many modern niche brands today, without IFRA or EU regulations or the high costs of advertising budgets. I would also observe that many of the super high priced modern perfume houses, ie, Roja Dove (Nuwa and Fetish), seem similar in reference points to mid century fragrances such as EL Aliage, Azuree and others.

By the way, I am NOT a fan of modern avon fragrance (I loath and abhor Avon extraordinary, a release from 2005 that mixes chocolate, champagne and another foody note with throat scratching, parching, sneeze worthy powder finish) so if you are a fan, our tastes may diverge.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 3:20:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wore only Avon fragrances for a long time and lately I have branched out into more expensive perfumes. After purging most of my Avon scents I kept a few that I think are truly special for they have good sillage and longevity: Rare Gold, Rare Pearls, Night Magic Evening Musk, Far Away and Timeless with the latter being my favorite of the five. Timeless is such a classic and smells really expensive but isn't. It's a lovely mix of amber, leather, woods and musk that wears all day. Avon got rid of this once and so many people were angry that they brought it back again and have kept it.....anyone who orders from Avon knows how they are constantly discontinuing things. This came out in 1974 and has stood the test of time. I can't say enough about this fragrance and it will always be in my collection.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Sambalina82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

To me, this smells more like Obsession without the skank, than Shalimar. I really enjoy the leathery woody scent of this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 4:40:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Timeless is an incredible scent for the few dollars it costs. There is a current version available through Avon's catalogs and vintages are available. There are discernable differences between the two that should be noted.
While the vintage Timeless plays the aldehydes strongly, the newer version is a creamier mix of honeyed vanilla that hits right away. The honeyed vanilla mix takes time in the vintage to arrive, but the wait is well worth it. The vintage version lasts much, much longer, is deeper in tone and reminiscent of Shalimar. Gardenia brings greenness, iris brings a rich earthiness, while jasmine carries this scent strongly to wonderful heights. There are so many notes in this perfume that mix together wonderfully to make it a blend that is pleasantly aromatic, elegant and one that belies its' own price tag.
Timeless is a perfume that could be worn anywhere-to dinner, to an event, to a gallery or with jeans. It is a perfume that wears the person, the person doesn't wear it. It is a mature fragrance, one that reminds you of notes found in many other remembered classics, like Shalimar or Emeraude or one of the Chanels. Its' rich warmth is its' own elegance.
This is a fragrance that is wearable year-round and since Avon offers shower gels, body creams and deodorants at a ridiculously low price, you can pamper yourself with a complete set.
Timeless wraps itself around you with a graceful quality reminiscent of older perfumes. You can wrap yourself in its luxuriousness easily just as you would an over-sized cable-knit sweater or a tuxedo jacket. It just fits quality, whatever you're wearing, whatever you're doing. It ripens into a mature scent that fully explores its many faceted notes as the hours go by. For its price, it absolutely cannot be beat. It fools many when they attempt to guess what perfume it is that you're wearing, and there is a reason why. The tonka bean, the opoponax, the vanilla, the patchouli and the amber are all similar ingredients to a few heavyweights in the classic perfume market and Timeless incorporates them excellently.
Vintage Timeless takes longer to develop on your skin, works longer to develop through its notes and stages and is more full-bodied. With today's version of Timeless, its end is its beginning. It packs a punch, yes, but you miss the soapy aldehydes in the beginning. The older bottle is amber glass, silverish-gold cap, cognac-colored liquid splash and 2 oz. The new is in a clear spray bottle with a rose hued cap, a light golden liquid and 1.7 oz. Longevity is about four hours for the new and much longer for the vintage.
Both versions are wonderful. The choice to make is whether you want to explore a more vintage feel for aldehydes and a soapy feel, a journey through a perfumes character when you choose the older version or if you'd rather go for the gusto with the newest version which gives you the immediate sense of scent. There is no wait, you arrive at your final destination immediately. Either way, Timeless should be a perfume every woman should try.
Top Notes: Aldehydes, Gardenia, Peach, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Jasmine, Cedar, Rose.
Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Opoponax, Musk, Vanilla.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 4:57:00 PM More reviews by beaglebaileysmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

On me, it's a no go. I'm not surprised to be writing this review, since blind buys based on glowing reviews have a 10% success rate in my experience. I fell for all the reviews that said this smells expensive. Unfortunately, I find it smells like $6. And I do think "dated" describes it much better than "classic." But if you're a Shalimar fan, this might be good. I have never had a positive reaction to anything lumped in that category: No. 5, Toujours Moi, Tabu, Youth Dew, etc. I will be steering clear of anything described that way, and anything else from Avon. It was worth a try for $6 though. And it is probably fantastic on the people who love it!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2013 3:27:00 PM More reviews by tsth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This fragrance is stunningly beautiful. It IS Timeless...vintage and classically beautiful. This fragrance is a warm rich amber-like fragrance with hints of powder, spice and soft vanilla. It is a sophisticated sultry fragrance. I cannot believe that this is Avon and priced like it is.......it smells so expensive. I don't ever want to be without this fragrance and all the products that are made...i.e., powder, lotion, deodorant and fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Smileygirl00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I ordered Timelesss due to the raves on the fragrance board and seeing a special on it for $10. I was pleasently suprised by this fragrance. It's sweet and comforting. Smells a lot like the original Miss Dior befor it was reformulated. It smells classic, yet it's not dated. It's a gem for the price ! The packaging is old school as well and I like that, It's simple, doesn't need bling or fancy designs to say "buy me" just to be disappointed in the juice. I hope Avon keeps this one around but I will order a couple more just in case they don't.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Last year I got all excited, being heavily into chypres, by the reviews, talk and notes of Timeless. Got a really cheap deal on ebay for two cute vintage unicorn bottles of 'ultra cologne'. Definitely vintage as the sticker on the bottom said the cologne was made in Western Germany (fascinating! was it cheaper to manufacture there? did Avon have a big factory? digressions..). I tried it. I HATED it. It provoked an instant revulsion that seemed to tie into some bad babysitter memory from my 70s childhood. I recognized some of the notes in it, but they were put together all wrong.
I didn't toss it, as I was interested my strong reaction to it, wanting to keep it for reference. Would I dig up that memory? Who knows, but it was fun to dig it out every once in a while and shudder.
A year later, I tried it again, and - get out - I really like it. The nose learns a lot, and by trying many different scents over the past months I think its parameters have been stretched and strengthened. The palette grows, you recognize more, pathways are built, etc. etc. At the end of the day I have a vintage chypre that has a great unisex quality, shades of Shalimar but with a masculine vibe, and lovely depths. So, keep your hateds and drag them out every once in a while, if only for the creepy thrills but also to possibly discover a new love.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 1:55:00 AM More reviews by girlndocs

The Timeless I am reviewing is from a vintage bottle. I bought a small cute Avon bottle at Goodwill, thinking I would dump the contents and use it to hold rosewater on my bathroom rack. But I tried a dab of it on my wrist first, and I thanked my lucky stars I hadn't poured away this treasure that only cost me 99 cents!

Chanel no. 19, my favorite scent, came out in 1972 and Timeless only a few years later IIRC. I expect chypres were in at the time due to no. 19, and the two scents definitely share a mossy, leathery kinship. Where No 19 tops the darker, leathery notes with white rose and crisp greens, Timeless goes in a richer more Oriental direction with amber, vanilla, resinous incense and warm musk.

My bottle of Timeless is clearly the worse for age, and no wonder because it's been exposed to light for who knows how many years. It has an obvious initial smell of staleness and damaged topnotes. But it's still worth wearing, because in 20 minutes the heart ad basenotes really take over and all its lovely complexity comes to the fore. Real oakmoss, yum.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2012 1:00:00 AM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Gorgeous, soft, classic and elegant. Shockingly affordable and long lasting. Distinctive but not loud. Timeless is a wonderful fragrance. It's easy to wear in the office because it's not too strong and it's got a wonderful classic feel to it. If you're considering this but not ready to go with a full bottle yet, Avon also has the Timeless fragrance in a body powder.