September 1, 2014 | 1956 users online

Eyeliner - Smashbox - Cream eyeliner in Lava

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I used to be an exclusively eyeliner pencil girl. All other forms of liner just scared me. I eventually ventured out into liquid liners and ended up loving them once I got the hang of them. So recently I decided to broaden my horizons and try out some cream eyeliners. I don't know why, but I ended up going for some Smashbox cream liners in particular. Some of them I ended up really liking, but unfortunately Lava is not one of them.
Lava looks like an amazing color. It's a beautiful slate blue-grey, with a little bit of a metallic sheen to it. The color is great and really makes my eyes pop. But the formula, on the other hand, is not so great.
When first applied, this is a little more sheer than the color in the pan. It's more of a light grey, and you can't really see much of the blue. So, as with most makeup products, I went to apply a second layer to build the color. But this eyeliner is so creamy that it takes a very long time to dry, making applying a second coat of this a streaky mess. The new layer of liner just smudged off the first layer. You have to wait a good 5-10 minutes (literally) to apply another layer of this, and who has time to do that in the morning? Then, once you do have enough of this liner on to get the full effect of the color, the liner starts fading very quickly. I use Lorac's eye primer which makes virtually any product stay put on my eyes, but after 4 hours, Lava had faded considerably. Some may think 4 hours of wear isn't so bad, but I have classes all morning and afternoon and then I work in the evening and one thing I hate is products that don't last all day. I reapplied this after 5-6 hours, and the color pretty much stayed put the rest of the day. But still, I have drugstore liners that last much longer than this. I've worn this over eyeshadows, and it does last a little bit longer that way. But this color is so pretty that I often want to wear it on its own, but it just doesn't work out that way.
One more thing -- don't even bother trying this on your lower lashline. It smeared all day long and it was not pretty.
I'm really disappointed in Lava. The 3 lippies I gave this are based on color alone, because this really is a gorgeous shade. Unfortunately, it just doesn't meet my standards.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2011 1:22:00 PM More reviews by insanity89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Perfect base for smokey eye. I could never do a proper "smokey" eye until i found this product. HG for smokey eyes.perfect medium grey shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2010 3:25:00 PM More reviews by kawiki

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best thing to ever happen to my blue eyes. Its a metallic blue-gray, goes on super-smooth and doesn't go anywhere. It is a great way to do dramatic makeup for light eyes because sometimes black can be too much.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2008 11:01:00 PM More reviews by lmichelle

I do love the color, it is much softer than black or charcoal on my blue eyes. However I did find that i had to go over the line several times to achieve a color like that in the pan. Staying power seems good, though I always set it with powder shadow. Not a bad product by any means but for the price of this and the light coverage I get, I much prefer my MAC fluidline in Lithograph. Seems like it might work out as a cream shadow, I'll try that next.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 6:56:00 AM More reviews by bellajolie

I love Smashbox cream eyeliners. I use a retractable lipbrush to apply them, and the colors stay put for hours. They are just light enough with one swipe to brighten but not over power. Add another swipe or 2 for drama. I particularly like the shimmering grey-blue called Lava

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2007 6:06:00 PM More reviews by addysmom

I loove this color. It isn't too dark for fair/light skin people. In my opinion it is better than caviar,

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2007 1:59:00 AM More reviews by mjs06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Shimmery blue-gray eyeliner that's awesome for green eyes. I knew when I saw this color I just HAD to have it! Love everything about it but it's not budge-proof without primer... which is a problem I've never had with eyeliners before due to nonoily eyelids and dry skin in general. Will still use/repurchase again and again though!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2007 4:42:00 PM More reviews by priyaj1

Love this color. Like some of the other reviewers, its a blue grey with a shimmer that somehow makes my brown eyes pop. I have it as part of the Proof Palatte and to my surprise, this is th only one that reall looks good on me...most of the darker shade are just too bold, so think I need my liner to have shimmer...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2006 6:46:00 AM More reviews by NoAddedSugar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this for blue eyes! I love nearly all the smashbox cream liners I've tried. You do usually need to touch them up a bit during the day but I wouldn't say loads. They are also really useable with one another to build layers of subtle colour that will really make your eyes stand out without looking garish.

This colour is a sort of gunmetal i.e. silvery with a touch of blue to it. Goes really well with dark blue or silver eyeshadows or on its own for a slightly glam look without much effort. Perfect for black clothing. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2005 2:31:00 PM More reviews by hfoegele

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best eyeliner I've ever used. I can put it on in the morning and not have to worry about it not being there or smudging by the end of the day. It's the only eyeliner that I have used up completely. So easy to apply with the Smashbox eyeliner brush. You just "walk" it along your top and/or bottom lashes. It goes on creamy so you can blend it, but dries in about 60 seconds. I also bought a smaller compact that contains all of the eyeliner colours. An excellent product.