Sally Hansen No More Mistakes Manicure Clean-Up Stick

2.3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Confession: despite years of practice, I am still quite clumsy at painting my nails. I have tried to master the three stroke method but with some formulas it just doesn't work for me. I normally just soak my nails in water after they dry completely and do clean up that way, but that can be time consuming. I haven't gone the way of using pure acetone and a brush yet, but haven't ruled out trying that method in the future. Thus, when I saw that SH had a clean up pen, I had to try it. This is a decent product. It does easily clean up the outside of my cuticles and anywhere else I happen to slop polish when painting my nails. It hasn't dried out on me yet, and I've been using it for several months. The smell is like a vanilla type scent - to me it smells exactly like No Miss acetone free remover, for anyone who's used that. It also comes with two replacement tips. For me this product is great for preliminary clean-up, but I am still not able to fully clean up my cuticles and the sides of my nails until soaking them in water. It just makes my application look a little less disastrous which is helpful if I need to run to the store (for instance) and don't want to get side-eyed for my messy nail polish. But I am a perfectionist and for the best result I still have to do more clean up. If you are skilled at painting your nails and only need minor clean up this could be a great product for you. Is this product a must have for me? No. Would I buy it again? Probably, since it is useful to have on hand.

on 12/17/2013 10:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm actually really surprised by all the bad reviews. This thing has been kind of a godsend for me. I agree with those saying that the remover that comes with this stick isn't very good, but it's no big deal - It's refillable, and you can refill it with whatever your favorite remover that you happen to have on hand is. Just pull out the tip of the pen, hold it over the sink and pour your remover in (okay, you might also want to have some kind of small funnel-type device on hand). The tip becomes stained, but I've never seen old stains affect my hand or my current polish color, so I don't really care.

Overall, I love this thing because of the precision it allows for. Maybe I'm just clumsy (Disclaimer: I definitely am), but the q-tip dipped in remover trick was never something I was able to pull off without screwing up my manicure. This is the only thing I've found that lets me get away with looking like I had my nails professionally done. My only gripe about this product is that it costs around $5 for something that is essentially just a small, hollow plastic tube with a cap and a little sponge-like tip attached to the end - Come on, something like that should cost around 99 cents. I'm still really glad I bought it though, and hopefully I'll be able to keep using the one I have for years.

Horrible product- i will never buy again. The very first time I used it,it seemed to work okay and everything went downhill from there. The polish remover refused to come out of the pen, I had to sit for ages waiting for the pen to get saturated enough for the next swipe and even then it wasn't enough to clean my cuticles. What a waste of money.

on 4/17/2012 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I bought this item on clearance. I've always looked at it in the store but never bought it. My opinion is split...while it is very convenient to use, the liquid in the pen is not the greatest so I added some acetone to the pen. After I did that it worked out much better for me.

I never wear dark nail polish so I don't have to worry about the tips getting too unsightly.

The qtip/nail polish remover tip never worked for me. I always ended up getting a little of the qtip on my nail which can ruin my manicure. With this tip it's small enough to correct mistakes.

With the acetone added it's a keeper for me.

on 7/12/2011 3:49:00 PM

I loved the idea of this, which is why I bought it. For first use it works okay, but after my second use it dried out almost completely and the nail polish remover in the tube never worked quite as well as I had hoped when I purchased it.

Invest in some pointed q-tips and nail polish remover, because it will be more efficient and probably less expensive.

on 6/3/2011 1:07:00 AM

This product is a joke. I've always put my trust in this brand name, but not here. I followed the directions exactly. Even the refill tips broke off during the 'corrector application'. This is one product Sally Hansen DOES NOT stand by.

Don't waste your $$

on 9/7/2010 12:13:00 AM

Wow, what a waste of money. I took a shot and bought this without reading the MUA reviews first. Big mistake! I think I could have cleaned up my manicure better by just intently staring at it.

on 7/9/2010 11:23:00 PM

If you insist on trying this product do yourself a favor and purchase it at a store like CVS that lets you return crappy makeup. That way when you find out that it does not work you will be able to get your money back.

on 5/6/2010 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Horrible, horrible, horrible!
I used this product this evening to clean up a manicure. Followed the directions exactly and swiped any mistakes up gently. The tip of the pen snapped off on my second or third swipe! When I picked up the part that snapped off, it felt very dry, which leads me to think there's almost no product inside the pen itself. Now I have a useless piece of plastic for the $ I paid. Will definitely not repurchase.

on 2/18/2010 1:23:00 AM

I found a way to like this product, which is to shave off the sides of the the tip, making it finer for accuracy. My nails are rather small and I found the tip a bit too thick-- I end up swiping too much of the polish. I like my mani really neat on the sides and around the cuticles, so this product helps a lot. A Q-tip is a lot thicker for my liking, so I will keep on buying this one, unless of course, if I don't come across something better.

Top Rated Nail Tools