April 18, 2014 | 1806 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2014 11:34:00 AM More reviews by ac06493

I was really disappointed by this tanner. I'm about an NC 25 naturally and self tan often. Maybe this would be good tanner for someone who's REALLY fair like in the NC/ NW 15-20 range but I personally got little to no color from this tanner. I've actually gotten more color from drug store tanners than this. Even when I use a lot of product it's barely noticeable the next morning. If you're not extremely fair don't waste your money on this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by cashmerecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought the newer packaging of this with the pump dispenser and it's much easier to apply.
Pros:
- Not as expensive as other high-end sunless tanners.
- The tint shows you where the tanner goes but is not so overwhelming that you couldn't wear it in public if you wanted (though I usually apply before bed anyway.)
- The color is very natural looking once the guide color is rinsed off, not streaky at all when applied correctly (use a mitt or a sock to apply)
- Fades evenly without looking patchy and weird

Cons:
- The color is NOT buildable. I tried to apply it two days in a row to build up color and it looked great at first, then turned patchy scaly after showering.
- Pass this one up if you're looking for a drastic difference overnight; it only darkens me maybe one shade once the guide rinsed away

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 7:40:00 AM More reviews by graceface07

Love it! I have tried a lot of self tanners and this one looks the best- its a nice noticable tan but natural in color. It really looks like how my skin naturally tans. I have native american in my family and I tend to tan on the warmer side more than olive. When you squirt it out it looks olive-brown! When it dries its a nice warm brown with tinge of red in it which brings life into my skin. I thought it was going to look exactly like that gray muddy tinge st tropez leaves on me based on the color in the bottle but it really looks like a beautiful warm summer tan. Prior to finding this I only self tanned for special occasions but I might have to do this once a week bc I feel so confident with this stuf on! This product has converted me to a self tanning junkie! My only tip is that this does dry quickly and so I would apply in sections (ex: top of thighs, then lower legs, then back of thighs, etc and I would do your back in four sections) also I do use my st tropez tanning mit.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 2:21:00 AM More reviews by deanna424

I used a st. Tropez mitt to apply this. It's a nice dark color so you can see where you've applied it. When it dries you can actually go out and it doesn't stain your clothes. The color does develop over time. Overnight I ended up 3 shades darker. You do need to exfoliate first and moisturize so you don't end up with dark knees and elbows. There is a strong dha smell but it does go away after you shower. Even with regular showers and swimming in a pool the color lasted almost a week on me and faded evenly. It's also cheaper than other high end brands. I would definitely buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

There are so many awesome things about this sunless tanner. It applies quickly and easily.
The instant bronzer/color guide actually looks pretty decent, as opposed to the sometimes green or red look some have. The end result is a very nice realistic brown color, which I really loved! And it also fades amazingly well and my tan (with just one application!) lasted 7 days. No joke. There was a bit of fading, but it was such a natural fading that it wasn't a big deal at all. In fact, that following Sunday (which is the night I do my tanning) I was hesitant to even re-apply because there was still so much left on me! I probably could have stretched it out longer. I also LOVED the way it tanned my face. I honestly don't think I've ever used a sunless taner before (and I've tried SO MANY of them) that tanned my face as well as this one did. It gave it a nice BROWN, even color. I wasn't splotchy or blotchy like I usually am with sunless tanners on my face.

Now on to the negatives. First for me was the scent. This has the typical cherry-almond scent that many other sunless tanners have. For whatever reason I've always found that scent to be sickly sweet. I can get past it, but it's definitely not my favorite. I always apply my sunless tanner before bed and when I woke up the morning after applying this, my skin had a *horrible* DHA smell. Honestly it was almost the strongest I've ever smelled on myself from a sunless tanner. What was worse was even after I showered, used bodywash and applied a scented body lotion, I could STILL smell it. I didn't like that at all. After my next shower the day after that, the smell was gone. It also took quite a while to dry after applying, so it was a longer wait to get my pajamas on and get into bed. I was an idiot and wore shorts to bed, so I ended up getting the bronzer all over my sheets. That's my own fault and I should know better, but still, be warned that this will DEFINITELY transfer to sheets and therefore I would assume clothing as well.

Overall, I do really like this sunless tanner. The color it gives, the way it fades, and its lasting power outweigh the negatives for me. However, since trying this one I gave Million Dollar Tan a try as well and am really loving it, too. I prefer the color of Faux Tan a bit more, but MDT fades just as wonderfully, lasts just as long, and it's a clear lotion so it doesn't have a color guide to rub off on things. It's also paraben free, fragrance free, and doesn't have the strong DHA smell. I'm still using the Faux Tan for my face, and would still use it on my body for a darker tan for a special event. (I'd just have to plan ahead to make sure I didn't smell like DHA the day after!) For reference, my natural skin tone and prior to tanning is very fair - MAC NC10-15, NARS Gobi. After one application of this sunless tanner I was around an NC25. I used latex gloves to apply, and apply only one layer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 4:58:00 AM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you watch QVC like I do, then you probably know that there's one host who swears by this product. She even claims that she once had some "Faux Tan" flown into Italy when she realized she forgotten to pack some in her luggage. I tried this, partly because of her glowing review, and partly because a family member had used it with good results. Of course, I had to buy the large economy size only available through the Q. It came with an application brush. I followed the instructions, pumping the product directly on the brush and then swirled it over my skin in a circular motion. The product looks like chocolate pudding, supposedly to help you see where you applied it. Sadly, I like to self-tan after my shower in the morning and then go to work. I can't wear this out because with the color guard, I look like I just took a bath in chocolate pudding. I ended up with a streaks after applying this. The brush application didn't work for me. Perhaps this product would work for someone with naturally deeper skin than mine. I will stick to my St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse and Mitt!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok tanner. Can look a little orange if you apply too many times in one week. I prefer the dark tanning lotion from SUN labs, its the best.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by wardesanjuan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Honestly, I didn't like this product.
Stain the skin and wears very quickly.
I don't recommend.
Unfortunately the Amazon don't allow us to put the opinion after 90 days of request. The delivery took 30 days ... and when actually used, I see the bad quality. Now, I can not offer an opinion in the site that I bought, because 90 days have passed..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by denns

As a relatively pale lady (NW17-20 in the winter, NW25 in the summer), this self-tanner is a godsend when I want a natural tan look all over my body. I hate to use the word "bronzed" because that's not what this tanner does upon just one application (maybe after two or three in a row, sure). I like natural tan looks, and can't stand the glitter bomb tanners that they sell at the drugstore. The reason I'll sometimes choose this product over other favorites like Fake Bake and St. Tropez is that you can apply this product, see almost instant results and actually go out afterwards without worrying about how dark the color guard will develop to be. Compare that with St. Tropez, a product that I know I have to apply and either sleep in or hang out in my house with for 4-5 hours before washing it off - or I run the risk of people thinking I'm in blackface.

I love that this self-tanner is easy to slap on (relatively streak free as long as you apply with your eyes open) and very natural looking, even when it develops and you're wearing the color guard. Even my boyfriend, who hates self-tanners and likes me at my palest, said I looked like I had just "gotten back from vacation and had some healthy color" - and this was WITH the color guard on, before I had washed off. I promise you will NOT overly develop! Yes, it's darker than what you will get once you rinse your body, but its very close to the final result - healthy, natural looking color. Since I am a little paler, I only need to use one application before I see results, and I will usually reapply after about 5-6 days. The fading is very natural, and of course, you can minimize awkward fade lines by making sure to exfoliate and moisturize the skin before application.

I usually apply this product with my hands, however my favorite thing to use with it is the St. Tropez Self Tanning Glove, which I recommend for just about any self-tan application. Happy tanning!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2012 12:42:00 AM More reviews by alfieandelle

After seeing professional spray tanners for years and once a week at that, with a busy schedule to consider and a few bad experiences not to mention the expense, I sought to try a little DIY beginning first with St. Tropez before moving onto the Bare Escentuals Tan.

Negatives: Almost none. I've always had a deep spray tan and I've found with the Bare Escentuals it takes a few if not several applications over the week to achieve the desired result.

The outcome? A natural, nicely coloured tan. I exfoliate, moisturise dry areas and apply with disposable gloves in a circular motion until the tan has soaked in. There's minimal smell after I've showered and removed the excess tan and I've found it fades nicely too very happy.