April 24, 2014 | 1939 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by mariselayoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this on QVC in the larger bottle that came with the brush. I was really excited to try this product because I trust Bare Escentuals and a few people on YouTube went on about how natural the color was. The dark brown color of the tanner only assured me more that this would not turn me orange. But, when I actually tried it out, I was okay with the results - enough to keep using it till I found something better - but overall I found myself feeling pretty disappointed. I'll start with the pros. The color is definitely not orange. Because the gel is so dark, you get a pretty good idea of what the tan is going to look like after it develops. It does get gradually darker after the next couple of hours, but nothing too dramatic. However, having a neutral/slightly pinker undertone (I'm about an NW25) the color can be slightly too yellow on me, making me look jaundiced and ashy. The tan fades nicely into my skin after a few days, but it's still definitely a turn off. Another pro is that the color does fade nicely after about 4 days and doesn't go patchy on me. Now onto the cons! For me, the application is far from easy. The little brush on QVC was a bad idea. You would think it would make the application more precise, but it's exhausting using that on my entire body (my wimpy arms get tired!) and I find it can definitely leave me with streaks, especially on the arms. I tried it again with a mitt, but the results weren't too much better. This is such an easy product to make mistakes with because when the color develops and deepens, you notice them getting much darker in patches, especially around the arms, hands, and chest. And I'm careful about making sure to really rub the product in. And, the next morning, when I think the tan has soaked in, I will take a shower and notice a brown tint to the water washing down the drain. So, I really think the cons weigh out the pros. Every once in a while I luck out and get really great results with this, usually on the 3rd day or so. However, on the days before that, I just end up hating the way it looks, and have to resist the attempt to exfoliate my whole body!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2014 11:34:00 AM More reviews by ac06493

I was really disappointed by this tanner. I'm about an NC 25 naturally and self tan often. Maybe this would be good tanner for someone who's REALLY fair like in the NC/ NW 15-20 range but I personally got little to no color from this tanner. I've actually gotten more color from drug store tanners than this. Even when I use a lot of product it's barely noticeable the next morning. If you're not extremely fair don't waste your money on this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by cashmerecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought the newer packaging of this with the pump dispenser and it's much easier to apply.
Pros:
- Not as expensive as other high-end sunless tanners.
- The tint shows you where the tanner goes but is not so overwhelming that you couldn't wear it in public if you wanted (though I usually apply before bed anyway.)
- The color is very natural looking once the guide color is rinsed off, not streaky at all when applied correctly (use a mitt or a sock to apply)
- Fades evenly without looking patchy and weird

Cons:
- The color is NOT buildable. I tried to apply it two days in a row to build up color and it looked great at first, then turned patchy scaly after showering.
- Pass this one up if you're looking for a drastic difference overnight; it only darkens me maybe one shade once the guide rinsed away

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 7:40:00 AM More reviews by graceface07

Love it! I have tried a lot of self tanners and this one looks the best- its a nice noticable tan but natural in color. It really looks like how my skin naturally tans. I have native american in my family and I tend to tan on the warmer side more than olive. When you squirt it out it looks olive-brown! When it dries its a nice warm brown with tinge of red in it which brings life into my skin. I thought it was going to look exactly like that gray muddy tinge st tropez leaves on me based on the color in the bottle but it really looks like a beautiful warm summer tan. Prior to finding this I only self tanned for special occasions but I might have to do this once a week bc I feel so confident with this stuf on! This product has converted me to a self tanning junkie! My only tip is that this does dry quickly and so I would apply in sections (ex: top of thighs, then lower legs, then back of thighs, etc and I would do your back in four sections) also I do use my st tropez tanning mit.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 2:21:00 AM More reviews by deanna424

I used a st. Tropez mitt to apply this. It's a nice dark color so you can see where you've applied it. When it dries you can actually go out and it doesn't stain your clothes. The color does develop over time. Overnight I ended up 3 shades darker. You do need to exfoliate first and moisturize so you don't end up with dark knees and elbows. There is a strong dha smell but it does go away after you shower. Even with regular showers and swimming in a pool the color lasted almost a week on me and faded evenly. It's also cheaper than other high end brands. I would definitely buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

There are so many awesome things about this sunless tanner. It applies quickly and easily.
The instant bronzer/color guide actually looks pretty decent, as opposed to the sometimes green or red look some have. The end result is a very nice realistic brown color, which I really loved! And it also fades amazingly well and my tan (with just one application!) lasted 7 days. No joke. There was a bit of fading, but it was such a natural fading that it wasn't a big deal at all. In fact, that following Sunday (which is the night I do my tanning) I was hesitant to even re-apply because there was still so much left on me! I probably could have stretched it out longer. I also LOVED the way it tanned my face. I honestly don't think I've ever used a sunless taner before (and I've tried SO MANY of them) that tanned my face as well as this one did. It gave it a nice BROWN, even color. I wasn't splotchy or blotchy like I usually am with sunless tanners on my face.

Now on to the negatives. First for me was the scent. This has the typical cherry-almond scent that many other sunless tanners have. For whatever reason I've always found that scent to be sickly sweet. I can get past it, but it's definitely not my favorite. I always apply my sunless tanner before bed and when I woke up the morning after applying this, my skin had a *horrible* DHA smell. Honestly it was almost the strongest I've ever smelled on myself from a sunless tanner. What was worse was even after I showered, used bodywash and applied a scented body lotion, I could STILL smell it. I didn't like that at all. After my next shower the day after that, the smell was gone. It also took quite a while to dry after applying, so it was a longer wait to get my pajamas on and get into bed. I was an idiot and wore shorts to bed, so I ended up getting the bronzer all over my sheets. That's my own fault and I should know better, but still, be warned that this will DEFINITELY transfer to sheets and therefore I would assume clothing as well.

Overall, I do really like this sunless tanner. The color it gives, the way it fades, and its lasting power outweigh the negatives for me. However, since trying this one I gave Million Dollar Tan a try as well and am really loving it, too. I prefer the color of Faux Tan a bit more, but MDT fades just as wonderfully, lasts just as long, and it's a clear lotion so it doesn't have a color guide to rub off on things. It's also paraben free, fragrance free, and doesn't have the strong DHA smell. I'm still using the Faux Tan for my face, and would still use it on my body for a darker tan for a special event. (I'd just have to plan ahead to make sure I didn't smell like DHA the day after!) For reference, my natural skin tone and prior to tanning is very fair - MAC NC10-15, NARS Gobi. After one application of this sunless tanner I was around an NC25. I used latex gloves to apply, and apply only one layer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 4:58:00 AM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you watch QVC like I do, then you probably know that there's one host who swears by this product. She even claims that she once had some "Faux Tan" flown into Italy when she realized she forgotten to pack some in her luggage. I tried this, partly because of her glowing review, and partly because a family member had used it with good results. Of course, I had to buy the large economy size only available through the Q. It came with an application brush. I followed the instructions, pumping the product directly on the brush and then swirled it over my skin in a circular motion. The product looks like chocolate pudding, supposedly to help you see where you applied it. Sadly, I like to self-tan after my shower in the morning and then go to work. I can't wear this out because with the color guard, I look like I just took a bath in chocolate pudding. I ended up with a streaks after applying this. The brush application didn't work for me. Perhaps this product would work for someone with naturally deeper skin than mine. I will stick to my St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse and Mitt!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok tanner. Can look a little orange if you apply too many times in one week. I prefer the dark tanning lotion from SUN labs, its the best.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by wardesanjuan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Honestly, I didn't like this product.
Stain the skin and wears very quickly.
I don't recommend.
Unfortunately the Amazon don't allow us to put the opinion after 90 days of request. The delivery took 30 days ... and when actually used, I see the bad quality. Now, I can not offer an opinion in the site that I bought, because 90 days have passed..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by denns

As a relatively pale lady (NW17-20 in the winter, NW25 in the summer), this self-tanner is a godsend when I want a natural tan look all over my body. I hate to use the word "bronzed" because that's not what this tanner does upon just one application (maybe after two or three in a row, sure). I like natural tan looks, and can't stand the glitter bomb tanners that they sell at the drugstore. The reason I'll sometimes choose this product over other favorites like Fake Bake and St. Tropez is that you can apply this product, see almost instant results and actually go out afterwards without worrying about how dark the color guard will develop to be. Compare that with St. Tropez, a product that I know I have to apply and either sleep in or hang out in my house with for 4-5 hours before washing it off - or I run the risk of people thinking I'm in blackface.

I love that this self-tanner is easy to slap on (relatively streak free as long as you apply with your eyes open) and very natural looking, even when it develops and you're wearing the color guard. Even my boyfriend, who hates self-tanners and likes me at my palest, said I looked like I had just "gotten back from vacation and had some healthy color" - and this was WITH the color guard on, before I had washed off. I promise you will NOT overly develop! Yes, it's darker than what you will get once you rinse your body, but its very close to the final result - healthy, natural looking color. Since I am a little paler, I only need to use one application before I see results, and I will usually reapply after about 5-6 days. The fading is very natural, and of course, you can minimize awkward fade lines by making sure to exfoliate and moisturize the skin before application.

I usually apply this product with my hands, however my favorite thing to use with it is the St. Tropez Self Tanning Glove, which I recommend for just about any self-tan application. Happy tanning!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No