Ouidad Climate Control Gel

3.7

on 8/6/2015 6:51:00 AM

I wanted to like this sooo bad. But it didn't work well for me...great for my friend, not me. I have very fine curly hair. The Climate Control gel left my hair feeling slightly crisp and parched, not crunchy, crisp and parched. It took the pliability out of my hair a bit. Also it gave me absolutely no help at the crown (no lift or frizz control). Perhaps it did help a tiny bit with humidity? But I still had tons of that halo frizz and my hair turns out better when I use my Deva Styling Cream alone. I used the Ouidad EVERY WAY IMAGINEABLe (with the cream, by itself, before the cream, after the cream, with other products etc). It just wasn't helping me and felt like a useless & expensive layer of hair product I didn't need.

Now, my friend has very, very thick wavy hair. She loves this stuff because it deflates her massive amount of hair a bit and allows her to air dry without her hair being 3 feet wide. And her hair being more coarse is never as soft feeling as my fine strands (not that it feels bad, but mine is almost too soft naturally), so when she used the gel, she doesn't notice any difference in the feel.

HTH

on 7/25/2015 10:42:00 AM

Makes my hair too crispy, especially if I use the amount suggested on the bottle. Seems to do a good job of fighting the humidity, though.

on 5/21/2015 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

It is a serum like gel in consistency, but it does a great job of encouraging my curls and fighting the frizz. It smells nice and does not feel heavy or greasy. I have the travel size but am definitely upgrading to the bigger bottle. Unfortunately this is pretty expensive at $28 but I think it is worth it. It is not drying and in fact makes my hair feel soft which is nice. I apply it to soaking wet hair and allow to air dry. You can rake it through and then scrunch for good curl definition. I think it works fine on its own but I don't see any problem with combining it with other products since it is so thin.

on 3/13/2015 4:00:00 PM

I cannot live without this product! I have been using it for about 12 years and will continue forever. I use it in conjunction with other products but this is my base. Don't be afraid to use quite a bit on each section of hair, I do section my hair as I have a TON! My curls stay fairly frizz free, I wash only about 2 times a week, my curls don't need more than that. This is a great product.

on 4/26/2014 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I live in Texas and this product is a lifesaver in the summer. I have fine, curly hair and I need something that doesn't weigh it down. Just a little bit of this goes a long way for me, so I'm not too distressed with shelling out $23 for it. I use her "rake and shake" method, instead of scrunching my hair, and it makes my curls much more defined.

on 2/7/2014 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Definitely a fan. I live in what was once swampland, so summers here are brutal. I don't even bother with blowouts during the summer, because my hair will be curled again the second I hit that wall of humidity outside. I have tried every anti-frizz product there is, and my hair laughs in the face of all of them. Except for this one. Even when I was not using the Curly Girl method and was making every styling mistake for my hair type, this product calmed my hair down significantly. It would not beat down the frizz for the *entire* day. But even when a little came out at the end of the day, it was so much less than usual. Really impressive results, and it's even better when combined with plopping. I'm definitely a fan, and I expect this will be in heavy rotation at my house for the forseeable future. Ouidad frequently goes on sale at Hautelook, which is nice. But I would buy this product at the retail price, it is that good. (And I say that about VERY few products.)

on 6/23/2013 9:16:00 AM

I hate her prices, but can't live without Ouidad products. My fine wavy hair is never better than when I use them. You can get a travel size set to try them cheaper.

I use this set - Climate Control gel, Curl Quencher shampoo and conditioner, occasionally Botanical Boost Leave-in for curl support, Styling Mist hair spray and occasional Deep Treatment for shine. I also do ACV rinses twice a week and occasionally throw in Coconut Oil or Coconut Milk pre-shampoo treatments. When I henna my hair in tandem with these, the health, thickness and shine of my hair is even better.

Hope this helps.

on 6/1/2013 11:39:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have wavy to curly hair naturally that frizzes if there is any sign of humidity in the air. I also straighten it almost every day so it will poof out pretty big then too if there is a lot of humidity. I was hoping this would help but didn't do enough to combat my problem like I had hoped. This also made my hair a tiny bit crispy and dry so I'm still on the hunt for the perfect humidity control product for my hair.

on 4/23/2013 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What kind of hair you have and your climate will make ALL the difference in what works for you so don't expect to find your hg necessarily in the top picks. This works GREAT for my fine, soft, curly and wavy wild hair. At home, it keeps the shine and the softness while giving me more control and stopping frizz. (But in Santa Monica, near the beach, it just makes my hair crunchy when I use it in my usual way.) For me, this is a light control product, which is what I like. Something else great about it is that I can use so little that I still have my original sample bottle MONTHS later:) Because of this, I can't rate it as expensive -- and I Will be buying when I run out because it looks so natural, feels so soft, yet gets rid of the dreaded frizz.

on 1/29/2013 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

It's very expensive and I don't find my curls to be less frizzy or more manageable with it. I have to use a lot of product for the patetented shake and rake application, and it really seems to make no difference in how my hair looks or feels.