July 28, 2014 | 992 users online

Cleansers - Earth Science - Clarifying Facial Wash

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2014 1:42:00 AM More reviews by DJCupcakes

I've used this in both the fragrance-free and the scented versions. Fragrance-free smells pretty much like nothing, but faintly plastic-like. Scented has a typical synthetic "clean smell"; not overpowering or annoying, but clearly unnecessary.

I like the packaging: tall, sleek bottle with a locking pump. The pump worked well; no issues with it breaking/clogging/etc.

The texture of this is that of a regular gel cleanser. It foams up well in my hands, and I found it to be very good at cleansing skin and removing light/moderate makeup. It did take a bit of work to rinse off; it kind of felt overly slick as I was rinsing, like it was difficult to get it all off. My skin felt nice after drying off; not too tight or dry, but clean and fresh. It also felt very smooth and soft. (Note: this would probably be too drying for anyone with normal to dry skin. Mine is combination/oily, and it felt very balanced after using this.)

With continued use, this had a very odd effect on my skin. On one hand, my skin seemed very soothed: the chronic redness I always have seemed diminished, and it seemed to keep larger breakouts at bay. However, something in it must have irritated me, because I found myself getting small, clear bumps in certain areas, which itched slightly and only went away when I stopped using the cleanser for several days in a row. This seemed mostly concentrated on my forehead, which is usually quite clear. Meanwhile, the breakout-prone zones of my face (cheeks and surrounding areas) seemed to respond well. Go figure.

I definitely recommend this since the cleanser is a pleasant product and performs well (and no 2 people have the same sensitivities), but I probably won't repurchase for myself because the forehead bumps were just odd and unsettling.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by RaeRenae

I finally found my holy grail face wash! It doesn't leave my skin feeling tight but at the same time it cleans well enough to leave my skin feeling clean. My skin has cleared up significantly and isn't oily anymore! I use this with a Konjac sponge and moisturize with Josie Maran Argan oil. I used to wake up with a ton of oil all over my t zone and would immediately reach for cleansing wipes as soon as I got out of bed. I even stopped wearing makeup because nothing seemed to be able to control the oil and I just looked like a oily hot mess by the end of the day. Oil led to breakouts and uneven skin. I found this in my search for ph balanced cleansers and have never looked back. It's cheap and it works. I wake up every day to clean clear skin and NO OIL!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Hayree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This does not have a strong scent(thank goodness) and it has really cleared up my skin. I also experience zero tightness after washing. New favourite.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2014 3:17:00 PM More reviews by MiddleCyclone

Why I like it:

- it has natural ingredients and barely any fragrance
- it is sulfate free
- it removes makeup well
- it cleanses oily skin without over drying
- it's fairly cheap (about $12 after tax)

The slight cons:

- though my skin does feel less oily after use I still have some shine
- it can irritate my eyes sometimes

Overall this is a good one! Even though picking this up requires a separate trip to the natural foods store I would still pick this over any sulfate filled drugstore brand any day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 1:30:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am on a quest to find a natural or organic face wash and I settled on this for the time being. I have the matching clarifying toner which I love. I found this facial wash a bit drying around my nose, but my skin looks less congested and my face was left soft on the rest of my face so go figure. It does a good job of removing my foundation and doesn't irritate my skin or leave it red. I can get it to lather well for me if I pump into my hands first and I like that it is a gel since I have oily skin. I only need one pump of the bottle. It has good ingredients which I admire. I cross my fingers this doesn't stop working out for me. Update: Yup, this is not working out for me as much as I wanted it to be. It has been two months so far and my skin is not too happy with me. The cleanser is very drying, especially around my nose, chin, and forehead areas. My cheeks are less flushed and pores look clean there, but my forehead is breaking out from one of the ingredients . I will have to stop using this and maybe move on to something else I can find at Wholefoods. So sad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by missn74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like that this face wash gently cleanses your skin without making my skin feel dry and tight afterwards. I have acne combination skin and this hasn't cause me to break out. However it's not great if you need deep cleansing. The smell is okay not appealing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2013 9:57:00 AM More reviews by melissast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have always struggled with not being able to find a good balance for my skin. If I use a cream cleanser, its too oily. If I use a gel cleanser, its on the dry side. I use this cleanser at night (because it does an awesome job at removing makeup) in conjunction with a cream cleanser (Earth Science ADE Cream Cleanser) in the morning. My skin is now perfectly balanced and looks and feels better than it ever has. Both of these cleansers from Earth Science are awesome and for once I dont have a single spot on my face...glad to have found a regimen that works!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 5:00:00 PM More reviews by AdelaideHanoy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this cleanser! I use it along with my Olay rotating brush, and the Earth Science toner with hyaluronic acid. It really does the job cleaning my skin. I also use my Clinique moisturizer after cleansing, and the combination of these products makes my skin amazing!
I would recommend this to anyone with oily/combination skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 4:22:00 PM More reviews by analucia

my skin reacts to everything, and this did not make me break out or dry my skin out. i randomly found this at marshall's and decided to give it a try, and i was so relieved when it actually worked. i don't think it works any miracles. i didn't see any "plumping" or whatever, but it cleaned my face and didn't cause a reaction. i wish i could find it at marshall's again, but i guess i'll have to pay full price for it at sprout's.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Kaylward

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my reliable cleanser. I have been using it for 3 years now and every time I try to switch to something more "fancy" I always go back. It's perfect for my sensitive/combination skin and works great with my clarisonic.