MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

on 8/24/2015 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is my preferred transition colour over Uninterrupted. Soft Brown is appropriately named as it is a soft brown. It does have slight pink undertones (to me anyways) but it's not noticeable on my lids and I love using it for smokey eye looks. It's subtle and I don't have to worry about it looking obvious as other transition shadows can.
It's a my lid but better shade and if I want a very natural look, I'll use MAC's Layin' Low paint pot as a base with Soft Brown all over the lids.
For reference, I'm a NC30.
I wouldn't recommend it for NC40 skin tones or darker.

on 7/16/2015 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Great transition shade! It's worth the hype. I'm NC35 for reference.

on 3/2/2015 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This one is a must for me. I would never have picked it out, but it kept showing up in every makeup tutorial. Once I read the glowing reviews, I knew I had to give it a shot, but was skeptical it would look too orange on me. What it does to bring warm definition to the crease and warm up any look is nothing short of magical :) Somehow this color works with just about any look as a transition color. Amazing! Great in terms of pigmentation and blending. Perfect transition shade or on its own as a crease color!

on 1/7/2015 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

After having not so great results with other matte eye shadows from MAC I was very hesitant to purchase this but everyone kept raving on about it so I took the plunge and picked this up. And I have to say... I'm in love with it! Such a beautiful texture, pigmented and easy to blend. I use this daily for my crease and it's just perfect. I have an olive complexion, NC37-40 right now and it just shows up perfectly on me as a warm brown with a slight pink tone which aids in blending out my other eye shadows as well as the perfect everyday simple 'throw on' eye shadow when I can't be bothered.

I would highly recommend this shade for anyone up to NC40 possibly NC42, any darker and I don't think it will show up well. I will be forever repurchasing.

on 12/12/2014 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

A few months ago I dropped by Mac and asked a make up artist for an eye shadow that I could use a brow powder. The artist recommended Mac Soft Brown because he said it was reddish and would go with my (medium auburn colored hair). I was a tad skeptical when I made the purchase because while my hair has a definite auburn color, my brows have no red in them whatsoever. I do like the eye shadow soft brown and use it almost every day as the perfect s-o-f-t powder liner underneath my bottom lashes, about half way across. It definitely makes my eyes look more defined but in a soft and natural way, I also use this shadow lightly from my lids up to just above my cease. I smooth the shadow with my favorite eye blending brush from Stila.adow brush.

on 12/7/2014 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Soft Brown was one of the first eyeshadow I ever purchased from Mac years ago and I still reach for it all the time. I prefer warm shadows as cool tones never look good on me. Soft Brown is my perfect transition shade. Even when I'm in a rush and doing very minimal makeup I always buff this in my crease for a little definition. It's a definite must have for anyone who loves warn shadows.

on 7/25/2014 10:44:00 PM

I use this color for crease shading and blending for natural eye looks. I use on MAC paint pots (Painterly and Cash Flow) so the color comes out quite nicely. I also use a natural haired brush for application and blending into darker shadows so more color is held with each brush swipe. This is my go-to color for basing and for creases with any color eyes but especially blue/green eyes. One of the most used colors in my MAC shadow collection.

on 5/14/2014 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

It barely shows on my skin tone (I'm very light, hazel eyes). I have to use it quiet a lot to get some color and still... not one of my favorites.

on 3/31/2014 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EYESHADOW. At least in my opinion, i am a NC35 skin tone with neutral undertones, i don't understand the hype about this eyeshadow, i had to order this online because singapore doesn't sell soft brown and i really wanted to try it. the reason why i hate it because i thought it would work well with my skin tone, but i bought this to use as a transition color but it was too pink for me, it messed up my eyeshadow colors and i couldn't put another color in the crease after applying this. its just not the right transition / crease / blending color for me, will never repurchase again but i'll give it points that it has great color payoff and pigmentation.

on 3/12/2014 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I'm loving this eyeshadow. Its my new crease colour and warms up the eye. It can be used with so many colour combos & looks. It completely changes the look of my eye in one quick application to the crease. I use it to transition from my brow highlight in brule to my lid colour in all that glitters. Then i use embark to deepen the look. Ill definitely repurchase when i run out