November 23, 2014 | 2197 users online

Hair - Phyto - Phytospecific Phytorelaxer Index 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 5:28:00 PM More reviews by coscop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am 44 and have kinky hair that is medium thick and very dry (it's dulling with age). I've always had a stylist and have been using Vitale, though I used to like Affirm. This relaxer (I used #2) is like a good vodka compared to a bad one. The resulting feel, when applied properly, is elegant. I'm not skilled enough to give technical detail of how it's better, but I can assure most women that it is. It is superior, really, and left my hair feeling softer than usual and shinier.

My stylist, who is provincial, cranky and fairly unyielding thought the result was elegant, as well. A poster on some site mentioned that this relaxer helped you stretch longer between relaxers. I have not experienced this. But I am sure as hell very pleased with the result. It's obviously overpriced, but I'll pay it for now.

I'm thankful to the other reviews that gave detailed information and helped me choose this relaxer. Thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by rkamson

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG....OMG...I am 59 years old and have been on the inernet from day one, of the internet existance. In all this time, I have never joined a blogg site.....But I had to join this site because I absoluety had to give a review of Phytospecfic relaxer 1.
I have been relaxing my hair since 1976, and have had just about every relaxer known to man....but.....PHYTOSPECFIC IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST RELAXER I EVER HAD.
I relaxed my hair last night, mys scalp did not burn and my hair turned out soft, shinny and bouncy straight.
I WILLNEVER USE ANOTHER RELAXER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2011 3:02:00 PM More reviews by akapearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have 4a/b hair and let me stylist apply. It is pretty great. No shedding and breakage and its now been about 2 weeks....usually when my Affirm relaxer would start breaking and shedding. I do plan to stop by my stylist today and let her see my hair as I think I may need to use the #1 vs the #2. The #2 made my hair bone straight and not as much life...not what I wanted. I wanted texturized hair with some bounce and life.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2010 7:49:00 AM More reviews by foldedhands

I have VERY, VERY thick, fairly wavy hair naturally. I'm growing my hair out right now from a short cut and the waves look HORRIBLE where they appear near my ears/hairline. I decided a chemical application would be better than blow-drying every day.
I bought Index 2 because of the thickness of my hair, although I knew I shouldn't leave it on long since my hair is not actually curly and doesn't need too much work. This was a good idea. My hair is currently STICK-STRAIGHT, but not at all damaged. It's actually very shiny and feels soft to the touch. I'd recommend that anyone with similar hair (stubborn/voluminous Caucasian hair) do the same. I washed it out just a few minutes after finishing the application and using the combing technique to flatten it out; I didn't really let it sit. (I had also got a drop on my cheekbone, which had started to leave a pretty nasty little burn that I was desperate to run under water. Be careful about this!)
The results overall are GREAT. I'm not going to moan about smell/price/etc, because I think these are the kinds of things you just have to accept if you want to process your hair. I mean, the results are PERFECT, and it's a lot better than going to a salon and spending hundreds on Japanese straightening!
P.s. I HAVE straightened my hair with a chemical process before, but the results were nothing like this---and like I mentioned above, my hair isn't even curly, so I can't imagine how little they do for most people who relax their hair. With the Phytospecific system, I can just wash my hair and not worry about frizz or weird little waves popping up all over---even in the rain!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2009 12:47:00 PM More reviews by Sayoko

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ok MUA ers this is going to be a long review!
I love this relaxer!!! As a woman of color, with naturally coarse, thick hair, I wanted a relaxer that didn't completely strip my hair of strength and shine. After using half a jar on my roots for a touch-up, my hair was straight, shiny, and bouncy,! This is the BEST relaxer in my opinion on the market, after trying out majority the drugstore/salon relaxers hawaiian silky,olive oil brand, TCB, cream of nature, african pride , affirm, mizani and optimum to name a few, I'd recommend it to anyone!! My hair is so resilient and my scalp is so sensitive not to mention excema- Not a good combo for relaxing. I have been using this product for about 2 years now and I wouldn't switch I always achieve the results I want with this. It straightens w/o damaging, flaky scalp, burns, limp lifeless hair like some other relaxers and my hair comes out shiny and beautiful, and most importantly no chemical smell, burning or discomfort! I recommend this product to anyone that wants beautiful hair w/o the damaging effects of other relaxers. I do recommend going to a stylist that is trained in how to apply phyto for the best results.
PROS:
1.Great for those with scalp problems/sensitive scalp
2. product packaging was excellent, it came with everything
needed to apply the relaxer with very detailed instructions
3. I go longer in between applications i.e.10 weeks vs. 6 weeks
4. safe for pregnant women because of the low/no harsh chemicals assiocated with relaxers containing lye, and other relaxers that contain the subsititute chemical in place of lye.
CONS:
1. The price!!! 60 dollars is insane, in this exception I definately got what I paid for.
2. The neutralizing shampoo should be much bigger than what they offer.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2009 7:55:00 AM More reviews by lovemygold

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Far too much money for a relaxer! biggest mistake I have ever made. The packaging was very standard for the price, as was the sizes of products. This was gentle on my hair and scalp, but as for relaxing quality you are better off buying your standard lusters pink, african pride or creme of nature! Just don't go there with this one girls!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by justcallmefoxxy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

WARNING: I would not use this if you don't have decent hair care products to maintain the condition of your hair.

I have naturally wavy/curly hair; the back of my hair is incredibly curly - not tight curls but big messy curls that get matty when I sleep, and the front of my hair is very lightly wavy.

Before using this I spent hours blowing my hair out with a brush to get it smooth and it was such a pain! I got this at Sephora for about $60, and got my boyfriend to do it for me while I barked instructions at him because I can't see the back of my head very well and didn't want to miss sections out.

Compared to a cheaper straightening product I used ages ago, this stuff left my hair with less damage, although some sections seem brittle and dry - I think thats just because I got it cut a month ago and she used a razor to thin out some of my thicker sections, so the hair must have been a little damaged to begin with.

Regardless, I'm on a very intense damage repair plan, just in case!

It's not perfectly straight, I still have to blow out some sections, but it has cut down the time I spend styling.

The biggest drawback is my hair is really flat now. I probably should have used Index 1. I think this stuff is unnecessarily strong, and is probably meant for afro-american hair that needs a lot.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2008 6:02:00 PM More reviews by wertmangrg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh my gosh! The directions said to leave on 20 minutes. After 10 minutes as I was smoothing, my hair starting melting and pulling apart like gum. I lost 3 inches of hair and am on a strict restructuring mode using 4 healing products per day as the rest of my hair that didnt have to be cut is extremely weak and brittle. I followed all pre-care instructions and everything to a T and just cant believe after so many good reviews that my hair melted, I am so upset.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 11:36:00 PM More reviews by Lola_B_10021

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I have been natural for about 6 years and needed a change (not easy to transition back, trust me) for my very low maintenance, high octane, travel heavy lifestyle. I spent a lot of time flat ironing/pressing my hair anyway so either way it was getting cooked.

POS: I am all on natural beauty/haircare products and resisted a relaxer til stylist told me about this one (soy&eggs) and despite all my MANY (and justified) fears, my hair is strong, has body and is lustrous (new one for me). No noticeable breakage, which is the reason I quit this process years ago, my hair feels soft, not brittle and it doesn't look ultra-fried like most relaxed hair with the stick-straight-why-didn't-you-just-keep-it-ultracurly-look. I just got a touchup after 5 1/2 weeks and still love results.

Neg: My only issue is that I wish I'd heeded MUA advice and gone with level 1 and not went as straight as I did, 2 is totally unnecessary for anyone. My hair is naturally VERY VERY curly, corkscrew, soft-hard - whatever and now FLAT and this 'flatness' is killing me, do yourself a favor, forego lvl 2, get 1 and determine the effect that works for you. Also, unless you are one, see a pro to get this done.

BTW I notice everyone mentioning the price and I know I haven't relaxed in years but really what's the big deal??!! We have all thrown money down the drain on substandard or 'just okay' products/services that had to be thrown away/redone anyway. Products actually worth buying are always a better bargain than the old standby and based on the reviews and my experience this one is worth its weight and more.

UPDATE: cut off older, flatter ends and stylist used again and processed less and got the body that I was missing the first time.

5/2/09 UPDATE: Going back natural, nothing like a wrap and go but relaxers are still in general too damaging for my hair and this stuff isn't really natural as they claim. Please please please do index 1 before 2 no matter what your hair pattern/texture is. 2 lippies for still not getting a formula safe and right.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by DeeSmith

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm reviewing this relaxer after only using it once, and I love it. I applied it myself, with no problems. My hair felt really soft afterwards--and shiny. I don't get that thin flat over-processed look I used to get with other treatments - I'm sure you ladies know what I'm talking about. And it hasn't burnt my scalp. Given the fantastic results, it looks like I'll only need to perm my hair once every three to four months even though I am West African with really tightly curled hair. Actually, it's probably the only relaxer I'll ever buy again. I don't mind the price though it's hefty (60 bucks at Sephora!), mostly because I do my hair myself and it's cheaper than going to the hair salon. What else can I say? I think perms are generally not the most fun thing in the word, but this definitely is more pleasant than other treatments to use and I got terrific results.