July 26, 2014 | 1790 users online

Eye Shadow - Almay - Bright Eyes Color Cream Shadow - Golden Gleam

rated 1 of 5 on 10/26/2007 5:09:00 PM More reviews by coloryouclingto

I have PPP skin w/ rose undertones.
Things it does well:
1) sensible packaging
2) works okay as a base if you don't have anything better

Things it gets wrong:
1) it SMEARS
2) it is like a very pale champaigne, NOT golden at all.
3) it dries up super fast
4) it is like vaseline going on -- yuck

This stuff is awful. I use it as a base sometimes just to get rid of it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2007 12:34:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Now discontinued...my Dollar Tree has a ton. Never tried while they were still making them...for a dollar I decided why not. This looked beautiful swatched on my hand... white base with lots of golden shimmer. But on my eyes it looks kind of pasty. Very little of the gold actually shows up. Okay for a brow highlighter, but not very pigmented nor long lasting. The tube is annoying... they could have made it out of plastic.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2006 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Kately

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The BE color cream shadows are now d/c. I got mine on sale. I've only used it probably about 2 times. Anyway, as the reviewer below me said, this shows up as white when it's applied. I was very disappointed with the color since I was expecting this to be a beautiful soft buttery gold. I think this would make a good highlighter but on my MMM (NC30) skin, it doesn't look too good because it's too light and shows up as a white cast. I also don't really like the metal packaging and if I ever finish this, which I doubt I will, I know it's going to be a pain to get the last bit of product out. I don't really think of it as much of a loss because I bought this on clearance but I would never pay full price for this if this product was available again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2006 12:01:00 PM More reviews by serenitydicarpio

looks gold in the tube but comes out to be a white and shimmery vanilla. application is somewhat uneven and must only be done slowly and a little at a time. sinks into creases by the end of the day, but not as bad as other cream eyeshadows. also, colors tends to fade during the day on oily eyelids, which creates a subtle yet distinctive hue. if consist and dramatic color is wanted, reapplication is needed. overall, very nice.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/30/2006 6:06:00 PM More reviews by hellodebbie87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this when I was having withdrawals from my Lancome Color Dose Eye Cream, but also in search for a lighter color compared to my Bermuda Sunrise. I was dead wrong. The color barely shows up, most of it just stays on your finger, and I'm afraid to apply too much in fear of creasing.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2006 1:53:00 AM More reviews by pollydolly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I took a real risk buying this because I have super sensitive eyes and wear contacts and have terrible trouble with eye makeup, I've tried Clinique (though I have just found a Clinique mascara I can use), Lancome etc etc and powder shadow is totally no go. Thought I would give this a whirl as it was so cheap, without thinking I would actually be able to wear it. However, it goes on beautifully, doesn't crease at all, and no allergy to say I was shocked would be an understatement.
As for the effect, I wanted something very subtle that just finishes the face on natural days, and something that would just brighten the eye area and give it a lift with out any glitter. Well it's very subtle but does brighten the eye area and is the effect I was hoping for. It's slightly more shimmery than I would have liked (I'm over 40 and paranoid about glitter/shimmer)but it's very wearable.
Some people have mentioned metal tubes well in the UK they are plastic and seem fine though quite hard to squeeze (they do look a bit naff though).
Edit 13/2/06 after using this for a little while it's back to drawing board after suffering a reaction.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2005 2:46:00 PM More reviews by pikescat

Meh, this is the ione color I just really don't care for. It's so light that it basically just evens out your skin on your eyelid and covers up any redness, veins, etc. But the shimmer doesn't really show up at all, and, really, you could just use some concealer on your eyes instead of this stuff.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2005 3:40:00 AM More reviews by valora

This is my favorite shade that Almay offers. Golden Gleam is actually not golden on me- it appears to be more of a neutral vanilla with subtle shimmer. I compared Golden Gleam directly to my Lancome Colour Doses in Serenity (sheer gold) and Silver Sea (sheer silver). The product is similar to Lancome Colour Doses but the tube tends to leak more and the color is not as vibrant. Staying power of Almay Color Cream Shadows is quite good, lasting up to 6-8 hours without creasing. I have not had any dreaded creasing issues with this product. Instead, the cream fades slightly (but evenly) after 6 hours in heat and humidity which is rather impressive. I bought this not to replace my Lancome Colour Doses but to add to my collection of cream shadow color choices. Given that most of my make-up is high-end, I am impressed with Almay Bright Eyes- so much so that I picked up a few other shades.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2005 6:22:00 PM More reviews by Susann_777

I bought this cream shadow based on the reviews posted here on MUA. It lives up to it's reputation; a pretty, sheer (best applied *very* sheerly), golden-ish eye colour that lasts all day. My only issue (and it's a big one) is that the first ingredient listed is alcohol; not too keen on putting alcohol on my face, especially on the delicate eye lids. If not for that, I would give it 5 lippies. As it stands, I will not repurchase. Too bad, it was almost my HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2004 12:29:00 AM More reviews by cainca

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I NEVER buy drugstore make-up ever. I do not own a single product from drugstores w/the simple reason being that you can't return an item if you don't like it etc. ANYWAY, I saw Naomi Watts on the cover of Allure and she looked fabulous. I have the same coloring as she does so I saved the list of products they had put on her. I saved the list for over a year and FINALLY got around to trying this out (they had Golden Gleam and Champagne Shimmer on Naomi). It was BETTER than I had hoped for (didn't try Champagne Shimmer yet). Like others said, it is not Golden at all - more light white/pearl. Lovely texture, brightens my eye area up, good lasting power - Really, I had absolutely no idea drugstore make-up could be this good.