December 21, 2014 | 1131 users online

Fragrances - Bourjois - Soir De Paris (Evening in Paris)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this, very unexpectedly in a chemist in the red light district of Amsterdam. It was on sale beside a lot of other things that I could not identify the use for and frankly wouldn't want to. I was amazed to find this, OK the bottle is not the same shape as it was and the scent is not identical. It is far more aldehydic than I remember and rosier. Also I do not remember the drydown being powdery but memory is a funny thing. I brought this back for an old lady I know and she was delighted to see it again. She didn't smell a lot of difference from how she remembered the original - nostalgic and pretty, but it never was my 'style'. Still I might buy it again for a gift.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by blueelm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ahh in a world where super-soapy fragrances have become their own genre this nostalgic powdery aldehyde seems totally fresh. I actually really like this scent. I've never smelled the original, but the reformulation is so weirdly familiar and old fashioned that I can't help but smile when I catch a whiff of it on my arm.

The opening is where I get the heady onslaught of floral aldehydes, which is a bit too much for me. Then it becomes sweeter, then powdery soft. The gentle, waxy, soapy, dry down is where it's all at for me. I can't seem to get the drama that seems associated with this fragrance, to me it's all happy soapy bubbles... and that's just fine!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

Earlier this month, I was elated to find a half-full bottle of Evening in Paris at a vintage store. There was no box, and the label was completely missing, but it was definitely Evening in Paris because of the distinctively shaped cobalt blue bottle.

I removed the cap, took one whiff, and fell in love! I paid the cashier $8, stepped outside with my bottle,and dabbed some on my wrist. Later, I went home and did some research on the Web to see if I could figure out if my Evening in Paris is the original version or the reformulated version. Alas, with no box and no label on my bottle, I couldn't figure it out. All the same, I'm ninety percent sure this is the original because it lacks the vanilla basenote that other people have described when referring to the reformulated version.

Anyway, on to the review.... This fragrance feels very old-school, but in a good way. It's got an aldehydic floral opening like the current Chanel No. 5 EDT, but without the unfortunate urine note that I get from No. 5. All I get from Evening in Paris is a beautiful burst of effervescent flowers and no sour notes at all, thank goodness.

When the bubbling floral bouquet dies down, the next phase of the fragrance's evolution is a little bit spicy and a little bit powdery, with very faint sillage. This appears to be the "soapy" stage that everyone talks about. During this stage, it reminds me of L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci, which is about the soapiest modern fragrance I know.

I'm very pleased with Evening in Paris. Having given up on No. 5 EDT, I'm so happy to have found an old-school aldehyde that actually works with my chemistry. I look forward to finding more bottles of this, both old and new, to compare and contrast the different formulas and concentrations.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 1:39:00 AM More reviews by cleopatrasboudoir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love Evening in Paris by Bourjois. I have the reformulated version by the Chanel group and I think it smells great. Very rosy, usually I cannot wear rose scents but this one goes great with my chemistry. I detect aldehydes which is a signature of Chanels. I have had the pleasure of owning vintage EIP perfumes and every now and then I get a bottle that hasnt turned too bad. Try to get the parfum, not the eau de toilettes or colognes in the vintages, but the pure parfum, they have a tendancy to remain truer. I love the demilune bottle of cobalt blue, a nod to the original bottles.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2009 3:00:00 PM More reviews by tessture

This review is for the new formulation as I have yet to find a vintage version that hasn't gone off. Goes on Chanel-ish. Fades to a nasty Jasmine-LOV that always smells like rotting white flowers on m, but it dries down finally to faint, pleasant, sandalwood vanilla musk. Overall, it smells like what it is: A popular, everybody-wore-it scent. I wish I didn't get so much powder on dry down, which made it a little too old-fashioned on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2007 9:20:00 PM More reviews by Kin22

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow, I guess I'm on the wrong review category, because all I have is the original Evening in Paris. I have the powder and the fragrance from the early 60's, which was in my older sister's storage unit for a long time. She gave me the gift set, still in the box, and it smells yummy! I haven't tried the new version, but I might. The stored stuff I've been using smells really good. I remember my sis wearing it constantly. She used to buy it at Woolworth's, and it was pretty inexpensive. She also wore big skirts with poodles on them and tight sweaters that really freaked my father out, but I thought she looked very glam! This fragrance is sparkling, like Paris. It has a wonderful floral scent that has never been duplicated in any other fragrance that I've tried. It's in a class by itself. I'm almost afraid to test the new version, but the 2 bottles I have should last awhile. Anyway, I guess my review is only for the original formula. Hope y'all will forgive the boo boo.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2007 8:07:00 AM More reviews by daisyandy

I really wanted to try this reformulated version and was going to purchase online. However, while shopping at Marshalls I found it on clearance for $16 and was about to grab it up. There was an open tester and after spraying it on I quickly put the box back on the shelf. It smelled horrible and I am so glad I didn't purchase it online. I wouldn't wear this if I were paid!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2006 11:01:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

One of the reviews of Soir de Paris mentions it's soapy scent then says that's because Soir was the most popular perfume after WWII and soap companies based their product on it. The interesting point of that observation for me is that it takes "soapy" out of the realm of a criticism.

And Soir is soapy. It's also a smoky, dark carnation, with a lovely apple/rose undernote and muguet giving it lift. it's very floral, classic, old fashioned, and i think, very beautiful. It's soft, with delicate sillage, and I find myself sniffing my wrist alot. Initially I'd thought this was out as a work scent, but because it's so delicate, and it's sillage is so restrained, I'm not so sure. It is a heady floral -- usually a terrible work choice -- but in such a warm, classic way.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2005 12:45:00 PM More reviews by GlamDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have the updated version of Soir de Paris, and found it to be a lot
like the current Chanel #5 - aldehydic floral over contemporary woods.
Starts more floral, gradually that wears off and the base becomes stronger. If you like
Chanel #5, you might very well
like Soir de Paris.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2005 8:19:00 PM More reviews by raincheck

This was my grandmother's favorite perfume and the first gift my grandfather bought her when they were dating. About 5 years ago I found a full, original bottle at an antique store and gave it to her for Christmas. This reformulated version is not a powdery as the original, but it is still a beautiful floral. It is slightly soap and powdery. Overall, I find it romantic and beautiful. It's in the same class as Rose Absolute by Stella.