Matrix Biolage - Conditioning Balm

4.2

2015 (name changed) HYDRASOURCE CONDITIONER INGREDIENTS AQUA / WATER / EAU PROPYLENE GLYCOL MYRISTYL ALCOHOL CETEARYL ALCOHOL CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE DECYL OLEATE PHENOXYETHANOL PARFUM / FRAGRANCE METHYLPARABEN ALOE BARBADENSIS / ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE ETHYLPARABEN LIMONENE HEXYL CINNAMAL COUMARIN LINALOOL CITRIC ACID PASSIFLORA EDULIS FRUIT JUICE BISABOLOL----------------------------------------------2012 Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Hexylcinnamal, Coumarin, Linalool, Citric Acid, Passiflora Edulis Fruit Juice, Bisabolol.------------------------------------------- Old ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Myristal Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Decyl Oleate, Rosemary Extract (Rosemarinus Officinalis), Golden Seal (Hydrastis Canadensis), Algae Extract, Chitosan PCA, Quaternium-79 Hydrolyzed Keratin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance.

on 4/19/2015 12:31:00 PM

Ok. Not sure if it's worth the money. Didn't care for the packaging. The lid was kind of hard to get back on when wet in the shower.

on 4/7/2015 4:09:00 PM

I cannot find the old formulas anymore. The new formulas make my hair dry and crunchy. Beware of the new formula!

on 2/19/2015 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Important UPDATE: This has been RENAMED to HYRASOURCE Conditioner! The GVP dupes of these products (Hydratherapie and Balm) are based on the oldest formulation which contains Goldenseal. At this time, the GVP versions may be superior to the newest Biolage. See my reviews.
This conditioner is a rarity in terms of conditioners, as it is BOTH protein-free AND silicone-free (true for current formulation also).
I feel it is my duty to clarify some things about this conditioner and its partner, the moisturizing shampoo. I suspect some of the negative reviews are mistaken in that the reviewers unknowingly used the sub-par ULTRA versions. The ULTRA look very similar in packaging but THOSE CONTAIN SILICONES, FYI. And I do not recommend those versions... they are newer formulation and they are terrible. To be sure you are purchasing the correct ones just make sure it doesnt say ULTRA on the label.
If youre going to start using these products please make sure to, prior to your first use of Biolage, apply a good clarifying shampoo to take off all the buildup of protein and silicones. This will make a big difference in how you experience these two products starting out. If you dont do this you won't see that much of a miracle because the silicones still on your hair will prevent the wonderful botanical extracts from fully penetrating the hair shaft. Its important to mention that this conditioner and the shampoo are silicone free and always have been. This is one reason why your hair becomes so incredibly soft and healthy when you use this duo regularly. This conditioner and its other half, Biolage Hydrating Shampoo are the very best ive ever used in all my years (I am 40) Ive been using this pair almost exclusively for 20 years. My hair is in incredible condition, very healthy, has GREAT body for my hair type, with an almost unbelievable shine factor. Every hair dresser I go to comments on how beautiful and healthy my hair is, without fail. Its common for the hair dresser to bring her co-workers over to see my hair saying "Will you look at how shiny and healthy her hair is!". Seriously. It makes my hair so soft, elastic and strong ...I love to touch it as does my boyfriend, and it doesnt weigh it down at all. Perfection. I get compliments all the time. My hair is thin and straight... delicate, and could easily turn into mousy unremarkable hair (and does every time I try using another product for more than a few days). Its only because of this duo that my hair is beautiful. Believe me it is true. I still, 20 years later, almost cannot believe how great these products are. Sometimes I get really tired of the smell, or get a hankering for a new product experience. Ive tried french products, italian products, etc... Ive tried expensive, Ive tried inexpensive, Ive tried organic, Ive tried sulfate free, etc. Nothing comes even close to the magic of Biolage. These products are like golden handcuffs in that way. So rare, and so effective, you really can't go back to anything else for very long. This product takes many many months before you notice any kind of buildup. Its always a good idea to have another cone free shampoo and conditioner different than biolage to give your hair a break be it once a week or once every 4 months. Doing this will keep Biolage's effects at their maximum. For my break products I use anything I like without cones.
The build-up with Biolage is far and away less than any other product ive ever used, but after a long while your hair will begin to crave a break from even this just for a day.
Another important note: I have very, very fine hair. I use this conditioner DAILY. It is not a heavy waxen type conditioner. It is simply a really perfect conditioner that is not too much to use every day, no matter how rich it looks. And yet, it is the best conditioner to use to repair damage. Thats how I discovered it; my hair was terribly damaged from a perm and this conditioner worked miracles for me. Back then I would leave it on my hair for up to 1/2 hour, but now I leave it on less then a minute. It leaves my hair free flowing and luscious and brings out a bonafide wave I didnt even know I had until I started using these products years ago. Now THATS a magic conditioner if it can bring out latent waves in otherwise straight hair.
Every friend ive persuaded to try the original two Biolage conditioning balm and moisturizing shampoo is now a lifer like me. One friend is vietnamese and has thick rope-like strands of hair. Another friend has an afro. This balm is great for all hair types, be it oily, dry, coarse, curly, etc.
Your hair will transform to the best version it could be, and it will style much easier, too. In fact, you will stop using other add on products after a while because you realize that anything you put on your hair actually only diminishes the beautiful effects and the healthy hair these products foster. You never realized how cooperative your hair could be. One of my friends after using it at my house commented "Whoa... That shampoo and conditioner I used in your shower were so good I dont even need product today. My hair looks amazing and I didnt even have to do anything but comb it!". You may even stop using curling irons or hot irons (I stopped using my curling iron years ago) because you find that miraculously your natural hair tendencies, when given the right kind of care, are beautiful in their own right.
Great healthy hair is so important. Its something people really do notice, because truly healthy hair is not a common thing to see. (especially since its hard to find cone free conditioners, and because people arent educated about cones so most of the population wanders around with subpar, dry brittle hair). Check out my photos to see my hair. I am using no product besides this duo, and I don't even use a blowdryer.

on 12/23/2014 7:30:00 PM

I use this with the conditioning shampoo and together they make the fine textured (but A LOT of it) naturally curly, color treated, split ended, breakage prone mess growing out of my head smooth and silky. My length is about 2 inches below mid back. The smell is good, fresh just out the salon scent. It isn't heavy so it doesn't weigh my hair down or make it look greasy. The screw off lid makes it inconvenient to use with wet hands, so I loosen it before I get in the shower. It is pricey, but a tub can last me about 4-6 months since I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

I do admit the price is a little iffy but well worth it.
My hair was terribly damaged from coloring and straightening about one year ago and my hair salon recommended this. I'm so glad they did because this is amazing for leaving your hair soft while conditioning it. Even the next day after it is washed out you can tell it has been in your hair because of the softness. Just using this on my ends about everyday has lasted for about 8 months so you'd only have to make the purchase almost every year so it is well worth it. (The bottle is 8.5 fl\oz im pretty sure)

on 11/17/2014 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is definitely one of my HG products. It works like a charm! It deeply conditions and leaves my hair silky, soft, and nourished. This is not a product I use every day due to fear of build up--I use it 2-3 times a week. It is on the expensive side. I purchased a trial size (what can I say! If something has a trial size, I get that first), but I will definitely repurchase the regular size when that runs out. I'm pretty impressed by this product. My hair is pretty wrecked from dyeing and bleaching it and this seems to do the trick and make it manageable and beautiful again. Definitely worth 5 lippies!

on 9/23/2014 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this so much! At WalMart its 23 bucks for the 16.9 oz which is still a little bit pricey for a conditioner but its well worth it in my opinion cause it lasts me forever. I only need a tiny bit of this to melt the tangles away and leave me with soft silky satiny smooth frizzless shiny bouncy and not weighed down hair! I even sometimes use as a more deep treatment and leave in under a plastic cap for about 30 minutes. I put it all over from root to tip and it never makes me greasy or causes build up. It smells divine mostly like all biolage products have the same scent. Its fresh and clean a little herbaly and floral. Idk it just smells great like leaving a salon. I would highly recommend to everyone in need of some MOISTURE! it also contains NO SILICONES. Which I love because silicone weigh down my hair for some reason. I have pretty thick hair with finer more medium strands. Its pretty long past my boobs ...colortreated burgundy ..very very dry and frizzy.

on 8/14/2014 2:17:00 PM

Love this!!! Steep on the price, but is exactly what I look for in a conditioner. It's very moisturizing to my 3B , very curly, naturally dry, breakage prone, and spilt ended hair. The second it touches my hair I can feel how soft it's actually making it. I would say it feels a little bit slimy and slippery in the BEST possible way!

on 8/8/2014 7:16:00 AM

Love this conditioner!! I used to use it all the time when I had waist length hair and it made it so much easier to comb thru. so when I decided after my last haircut that I'm gonna grow my hair out (it was a great cut I'm just getting bored w/it. I've had shoulder length hair for 5 years now) & got a $50 target gift card for my bday so used half of it to splurge on a jar of this! Yay lol

I was really annoyed with the new design of the jar it's bigger on the bottom and smaller on top which makes no sense since it's more awkward to hold while you have to scoop the conditioner out with your hand. I liked the old jar that was just as big on top as bottom.

I guess the formula has changed also from what I've read but if so it's made a minor difference on my hair. The reason your hair doesn't feel as slippery in the shower like w/ most deep conditioners is that it has no cones, it instead has ingredients to attract moisture to your hair rather than forming a seal on the hair cuticle. But just go with it & be gentle on your hair. Once your hair is damp/dry you will feel the softness. I use maybe a lil less than quarter size after every shampoo and let it sit for a couple min. Rinse out thoroughly because this stuff is rich & will weigh hair down if you don't rinse enough.

Love it! Conditioning balm isn't so bad in prince either considering I bought in June & it looks like I barely used any.

on 7/30/2014 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product alot. But, i don't buy it all the time, only when i have the extra money to splurge on it. Otherwise, this product would be a staple in my haircare regimen. It leaves my haif feeling very soft, revitalized, and highly moisturized. It has a somewhat perfumey scent to it, but thank goodness its not very strong and it doesn't linger for days afterwards in my hair either.