July 30, 2014 | 1224 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Light Elements Defining Whip

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

Would never have gone for this product had my stylist not used it on me. My go-to hairstyle is big, voluminous, Victoria's Secret curls. Sometimes the curls come out too round or homogenous. A dab of Defining Whip always breaks up my hair into sexy loose waves and keeps it styled all day long. I agree with the reviewer who says this product has light hold. I would recommend it for those with medium to long hair. While it is a bit pricey, a tiny dab is all I need for my shoulder-length hair. I have an undercut as well and this stuff is perfect for when my shaved side is a bit grown out and I want it to lie flat, definitely keeps stray hairs in place. This product has the signature Aveda scent, which, if you're like me, clashes with your perfume but I can live with that. I also like that it is in a tub so you can get every last bit of product. Expect to wash your hands after use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 3:37:00 PM More reviews by pmnixa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this on wet curly hair - adds a lot of curl definition and a not a lot of oil (Control Paste, Im talking to you). I use Be Curly Lotion, Confixor, then this Defining Whip..... scrunch!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

AWESOME, AWESOME product. This really gives a very piecy look and doesn't look dirty or gummy. I love it and thank you to MUA for turning me on to such a wonderful product. No more drugstore brands for me. You do get what you pay for in most things.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2011 11:52:00 PM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love, love, love this product. I think I'm addicted to aveda! I don't agree with other reviewers who said this has no hold- it does have some light hold which is why I like it. It also adds some nice texture, fullness and boosts my curls. I prefer to use it on wet hair (I have 3a curly long hair). I start off with my leave in, then add a dime size of aveda's be curly style prep and comb through, and then I take just a dab of this defining whip (just enough to coat my finger) and I emulsify it and mix it together with one pump of aveda's phomollient (foaming product). I concentrate that defining whip/phomollient combo on my roots while hair is flipped upside down, then repeat one dab defining whip mixed with another phomollient pump and distribute that on the outer shaft of my hair. Diffuse and beautiful curls.

Sometimes I'll also use a dab of the defining whip mixed with one spray of a shine serum on dry hair for finishing (or the aveda texturizing cream instead).

I also love it on day 2 hair either by itself or combined with the phomollient on lightly misted hair & diffuse.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2010 1:31:00 AM More reviews by JoSummers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this for my short hair. I also really like the smell. I love how all Aveda products smell. Anyway, this has great hold without being sticky or slimy or greasy, all of which can be problems with products commonly used on short hair. Gives awesome texture which lasts pretty well. I would like more staying power, but other than that, it's great. It has a bit of a dampness to it when you first get it out of the jar, but that subsides as you put it in your hair. An interesting product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by debj314

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I really love this product! I have been dying to buy it since it came out! It only took me 5 years. I felt a little guilty b/c its expensive. However, since I bought it I havent regretted it!. I chopped my hair and it really gives texture to my layered bob! The cut looks so much better with it! The smell is great too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by DaniellePaul

I have short medium-thick, fine textured hair. I use this on short, flippy do to give it some texture and definition. I like it because it is so light and doesn't weigh my hair down or make it greasy. It is also great for smoothing the wispys along my part and hairline. I have had the same tub for about 2 years now and have hardly made a dent. It is scented, but pleasantly so.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fine but thick, short, colored and highlighted hair with lots of texture. This is my favorite product for definition without heaviness. Unlike waxes and pomades, it is much more controllable. And it washes out easily. But if your hair is not like mine, this may not be the best product for you.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by geographer

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think it smells great, but that is about it. Absolutely NO hold at all, not light, not a little, nothing. I really don't understand what the purpose is, but it was a total waste of $24 for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2008 10:59:00 AM More reviews by susie03

I love this - I have short fine wavy hair that is cut in long layers in a very cropped bob. This product lifts, defines and creates a wonderful funky choppy look in seconds that lasts all day. You hardly need any product, I take a small 'finger' rub my hands together and then scrunch into my hair.
I've converted both my mother and sister to this and we all have different hair and styles so this is very versitile.