November 26, 2014 | 1176 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - Caleche

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by stls

Caleche smells exactly like high end expensive soap with hints of florals, very clean-cut and classy. For a chypre it's rather friendly, the oakmoss doesn't smell too dark and mossy here. Good sillage and longevity. A wonderful perfume but too old school for me to wear, I feel more comfortable with Infusion d'Iris for my clean smelling fragrance fix.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've always loved Caleche. It's uber sexy vampy and daring. This is a chypre (similar but different to EL Knowing, Clinique Elixir and Lavin's Arpege). But it's more soapy and sandalwood comes through very sharply, more so than any of those scents listed. The drydown is very soft. I do love it. You only need a bit to smell wonderful. So go easy on this one. If you are looking to own a bottle -- one ounce is about all you need. A little goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 1:35:00 PM More reviews by zeynepd

This is how I would scent a blonde Scarlet Johansson.
Chandler Burr calls Caleche 'austerely beautiful' and austerely beautiful she is. Only, you need to like aldehydes to enjoy her beauty. She is very similar to Rive Gauche on my skin, but perhaps fuller, rounder and more demure. If Rive Gauche is this woman with a bob or a pixie cut who enjoys silver jewellery, Caleche is a woman who likes voluptuous curls and gold. It's interesting that Rive Gauche is very similar to Amouage Dia on my skin while Caleche is very much like Gold (both are by Guy Robert). My nose perceives aldehydic fragrances as total abstractions and cannot focus much into their floral notes, but I can sense some velvety, powdery iris in the heart. The drydown is clean, chic and comfortable on my skin. I think Caleche is timeless and very chic.
Medium sillage and very good longevity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love Caleche so much! I had it first in my twenties, but it didn't suit me then - time was needed to grow into it.
Caleche is utterly classical French perfume. Clean, aldehydic, incredibly classy, timeless, elegant. It can be a little buttoned-up, a real 'madame'. But that's what I love about it, and in my mind I group it with Madame Rochas (also by perfumer Guy Robert), White Linen, No. 5, Molinard by Molinard as one of my 'Virgo' perfumes. They give me a sense of tidiness, control, all things operating as they should.
Caleche especially conjures a feeling of that moment just before leaving for an exciting, anticipated trip - everything is planned, in place, and unknown wonders await. It hits a certain spot of comfort, memory and emotion for me like no other.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2013 6:30:00 PM More reviews by ellizam

Caleche has the classic structure - floral, light sweep of citrus on top, classic sandalwood/oakmoss base, and aldehydes twanging up an down the structure. The vibe is is powdery, with dry and clean floral, more oakmoss than woody but palpably both, and an overall clean feel. The florals include neroli, but Caleche has more rose/iris -- 24F has much the same vibe, but with a big orangeflower/neroli charge and huge patch-y woody base.

Caleche's sillage is astonishingly light. I frankly don't understand why they ever made an eau delicate, because it is one inherently. A perfect office/evening out fragrance in that it is subtle, elegant, and clean, but also surprisingly delicious to snuggle into bed in. The packaging is, of course, exquisite.

I'm very impressed by it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Upon immediate application this smells a bit aldehydic and vintage. It's very soapy, fresh-scrubbed, and classic. It smells like money. I imagine high-society ladies of the 1950s smelling like this. I'd give it a 3.5. It isn't very "me", but I can appreciate it just the same. It doesn't last very long though and the sillage is only apparent for the first hour.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by laurelrea

I got this free! FREE! from my mother (works in a department store in a city that was hit by an earthquake this year so they got a lot of damaged stock free...) Anyway, its not something I would normally wear. I'm more into the fruity, foody, honey or woodsy scents. But! this smells gorgeous. Flowery, powdery, expensive. Skates dangerously close to being nana-ry but doesnt quite make it, in my opinion. It's beautiful and elegant.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Starts off with a juicy citrus aldehydic burst, then softens to powdery floral with touches of rose, ylang ylang and iris. A musky, leathery, animalic note lingers in the background and grows more apparent as Caleche dries, keeping the florals from going too powdery or sharp. Warm mossy dry woods round out the scent, and I can't help thinking this is one of the truest chypres I've smelled thus far. Feminine and classy with a hint of masculinity to give pause. I can understand references to Chanel No.5, but Caleche seems more like a second cousin rather than a direct relative.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2011 1:24:00 PM More reviews by little_lukos

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This review is for Calche eau de toilette by Herms, current formulation. I got just a moment of vague floral chypre before it all turned to eau de soap suds. Thereafter, sniffing became pointless. So sad. Basenotes reports that Calche was "re orchestrated" in 1992. I haven't yet sampled an earlier formulation to compare. Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 1:19:00 PM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A classic that I forgot how much I liked until recently. I have the Soie version. It smells like expensive french soap, if you can imagine that. This fragrance is simply divine! I only wear it in the winter and fall months though because it is quite strong, although breathtaking. If you don't want to smell like all others, then run to get this one. Long lasting and definitely will garner compliments. It smells expensive because it is. I love to smell myself whenever I have it on. A little goes a long way, so don't overdo it.