September 17, 2014 | 2047 users online

Fragrances - Santa Maria Novella - Musk ("Muschio")

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Herbal notes, watery florals and powdery clean musk that remind me of a dog shampoo we had years ago to wash the mutt. Muschio isn't actually bad, though. As it dries it becomes a lot like Bruno Acampora Musc, in it's warm, bare skin feeling, but more powdery and a touch soapy . Strangely nice while being nothing I'd choose to wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 2:37:00 AM More reviews by GlamDiva

SMN Musk "Muschio" is a sweet almost candied musk,
starts out almost butterscotch-like and then quickly moves into musk.
Translucent and soft as a skinscent, yet with a dry earthy quality
in the drydown. Very classy and beautiful for any occasion. Full
bottle worthy for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 8:38:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh-- . . . my . . . . wow.

I've always loved the IDEA of a musk fragrance. I love the notion of "my-skin-but-better," rather than wafting fumes that are obviously a foreign scent on your skin. I tried The Body Shop's White Musk. I tried Kiehl's Musk in spray and oil form. I didn't particularly like them. I tried Body Time's Egyptian Musk and thought it was . . . okay. I even sniffed a few natural musk oils at Whole Foods. I sampled Serge Lutens Clair de Musc and find it interesting, if a little too floral and earthy for me. And then I tried this.

I am blown away.

I can only describe this as a gentle skinscent white musk, incredibly sexy in the most non-skanky way imaginable. There's definitely a vanilla-almond creaminess to the scent, which makes me like it even more. I'm really loving this. I think it's perfect for too-hot-and-lazy-to-wear-a-scent scorching summer days, as well as cozy stormy winter nights. Just beautiful and perfect and very highly recommended. It's definitely a personal scent with little silage (but rather good longevity for a cologne), however, so don't expect to walk into a room and have everyone notice this lovely scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by pacificnorthwestocean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wish I'd written my own review before reading others. In my mind I got as far as "I like this! Sweet, but not sugary, and spicy in an unidentifiable way..." As I continue to wear it, it is a subtle, warm, earthy fragrance. Something about it makes me think of rootbeer? This is definitely a skin scent.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2008 4:20:00 PM More reviews by ciuwawa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would consider myself as a very 'open' nose...I tend to like the scents others don't, and this is the first time I desperately wanted to like something..tried very hard...I am currently in Florence - applied it at the store yesterday..wore it all day...gradually, over a number of hours, it turned into the smell of damp soil in winter. I went to the Store again, today - making sure I was wearing nothing else, in case it reacted badly with my moisturiser or some other...however ....again! This is soil...with a deep, deeply buried heart of vegetal musk which on me, just never escapes. It struggles through the bourbon..the spice...then just gives up and turns into mud.
Now. I LOVE the smell of a damp cellar...fresh dug dirt, rain on a parched garden...but I don't want to smell of it myself.
Bizarre. I give it 4, for the incredible combination of whatever lies beneath here....I can't figure it out..and never has a scent turned against me in this way!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2008 12:48:00 PM More reviews by CheriCheri

Perhaps it's my skin chemistry but Muschio works for me. I detect a licorice/anise creamy scent with a hint of herbal and roots. It is not cloying like many other musks I have tried. It does not remind me of the musks used commonly in laundry detergents and soaps, thankfully. This scent will work year 'round for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2007 6:38:00 PM More reviews by reikigoddess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

For WHATAWORLD...they do come w/an optional screw top atomizer. This is one of the first questions I asked at the LAFCO Los Angeles store (I'm a spritzer too)!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2007 11:36:00 PM More reviews by ewojdula

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is so wrong on me. It starts out as a lovely, fresh breeze and my expectations are high! But it takes no time to do a nose dive, and ends up - on me - not as a musk, which I can usually tolerate or sometimes love, but as something like a mixture of wet sawdust, sweat, dirt, and oil, with the slightest hint of that tar-like skunk road kill scent and maybe some licorice. It also has some of that decayed vegetation frag I get from Jazz Funeral.

In spite of all this, I wish I could give it a 1.5 'cause it's so atmospheric, very original, and I've tried worse. (Hard to believe, but true.) I've smelled this smell before It seems to evoke a place and time rather than an flower, spice, object, etc. It's a place and time I'd rather not visit and something deep within my subconscious tells me that Muschioland is a place of sepia-toned back-breaking drudgery and despair that spans the rural and urban landscapes. Oh good. I'm finished. I get to wash it off.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2007 4:42:00 PM More reviews by whataworld

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this, it reminds me of my beloved Helumt Lang which was discontinued. Has a bit of a "roots plucked straight outta the dirt" smell in addition to a a perfect musky warmth. None of the sugar and powder that is hiding in a lot of scents these days. A bit green on top. Definately unisex, my beau grabbed the bottle almost immediately. Not masculine though, classic. And yea for plant-derived musk, no animals harmed in the production of this fume. Wish it came in a spray... does it?

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2006 6:55:00 PM More reviews by purplebird

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Santa Maria Muschio
Incredibly nostalgic. I remember my grandmother from Europe smelling like this. You rarely find these kinds of Old World scents anymore. Muschio is not as pleasing to the modern nose as it was to previous generations. Do not expect "musk" as we have come to know it. This is a vegetal substance, sumbul, a medicinal root. Muschio smells to me like almond + vanilla + bourbon. The combination is similar to butterscotch, but bittersweet. If you have any memories of relatives born circa 1900, this unusual scent may recall them to you.