Redken Hot Sets 22 thermal setting mist (heat protect)

3.8

on 1/26/2015 3:50:00 AM

My first review so please bear with me! This is absolutely the best styling mist that I use with my curling iron. I have short, fine, stick straight colored hair so getting it to hold a curl is a challenge to say the least. The best way I have found to apply this is after blowing drying my hair I lightly mist it in the areas where I'll be curling. Then I blow dry it again with my head upside down using a vent brush (or fingers but the vent brush is better). I then curl my hair with the hot iron and apply hairspray to hold everything until I put on my make-up. When I am ready to style I take the vent brush again and gently brush it out. It will be pretty stiff at first but I then continue with a regular brush until its all brushed out. This is mega hold styling stuff that has worked well for me. Lately I have combined it with the Redkin Guts and have been pleased with the results-no more bad hair days!

on 6/10/2014 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I would describe my hair type as very thick, naturally wavy, heavy, and silky.

Because my hair is silky and heavy, it is hard to hold in the curls. I recently bought the redken hot sets 22 spray, and this is my second time using it.

One thing I definitely noticed is that even if I only spray a little, my hair can become crunchy, and those areas are hard to comb thru. As other users have said, the spray is such a good holding spray that you can see where I put down the clamp when curling. From now on, I'll only be using the spray on my bottom layers.

I haven't used this product enough to say if I'd buy it again, so I just put yes, but it does what it is supposed to, which is keeping my style without it falling out.

on 1/17/2014 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have very fine blonde processed hair with average volume. I bought this twice. For straightening on my texture of hair it is impossible because the hold is too strong and every single kink shows. I watered it down to half and it was OK for spraying on before putting large hot rollers in. It is good as a finishing spray for holding the curl but if I try to brush it out my hair breaks. If you have fine hair make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

on 3/21/2013 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my new HG styling product! I can get significant root-lift using a brush and blow dryer, which is quite a feat considering that my hair is fine, thin, and straight.

on 8/16/2012 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have coarse, straight hair that will not hold a curl on it's own for anything, falling flat within an hour.
I got this stuff to use on the most stubborn layers that lay at the nape of my neck - the ones that go back to pin straight by the time I've curled my top layers. I don't use it on top layers, as it IS a super strong hold. I use three half sprays - a small squirt at the top, middle and bottom - comb through, and curl, holding the hair on the iron for about 10 seconds. It doesn't make things crispy if I use a half pump, but if it does it combs out well enough. This stuff does make a small difference - a slight bend holds through the day.
Overall, I'm not terribly impressed. I'll use the bottle up, and maybe try something else.

on 5/31/2012 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love love love!! My favorite hair product ever! This is truly the only product i've ever used that keeps my hair straight! I have thick coarse hair that refuses to cooperate with anything i put on it except for this product. Can't quite explain how much I love it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

People seem to be getting crusty with this one, so I thought Iíd write my review.

My hair: baby fine, thin, straight, shoulder length. I've never had a frizzy hair in my life.

I've been looking for years for a product that will truly hold curl in my hair. I have around 15 curling irons, countless sets of hot rollers, cold roller sets and they all have let me down at some point. I saw a review for this product and decided to try it out, figuring that I would end up returning it. The key to this product is LIGHTLY SPRAY. I never thought I'd say this, but if I spray my hair liberally with it, the curls end up looking like how they looked wrapped around the curling iron. If this happens, you have to wash your hair and start again. I have been so happy with this product that I've spent the past 2 months testing it out on my styling appliances.

Curling iron: Again the key here is to LIGHTLY SPRAY. I section my hair and hold the bottle at least Ĺ foot away from my hair, and spray a Ĺ spritz. The key to nice curls is a light and even spray. I wait until Iíve curled my whole hair and then I will comb it lightly with a wide tooth comb. This works for both regular curling irons and conical clipless curling irons. The curls hold until my next hair wash or shower, even if I sleep on them.

Flat iron: Iíve never really used the flat iron for straight hair, Iíve only really used it for fly-aways. What I do now it section my hair and spray it with the hot sets. Iíll comb the hair upwards and flat iron the section completely upwards and then wrap it in a velcro roller. Once my whole hair has been set Iíll wait about 30 mins. When I take the rollers out Iím left with the biggest volume of my life. I donít need to tease, I just lightly brush out my hair and add some shine spray.

Hot roller set: I lightly spray each section before setting my hair in my babyliss ceramic rollers. It gives volume and light curl that lasts until I wash my hair again. Again, very LIGHT SPRAY the key, and Iíve never had a problem with crustiness. I also donít need to spray hairspray after shaking my curls out.

Cold set rollers: Iím still on the fence about using this for cold sets. I donít cold set my hair as often as I should, but when I do itís usually foam rollers or curlformers. I really like Lottabody setting lotion for cold sets, because it leaves my hair curly without the crusties. I havenít figured out how to have with damp hair and cold sets and not get the crusties.

on 3/1/2009 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did not like this at all. It is very hard to work with. It made my hair look super dry and was very crunchy. My hair was also stuck together in several places. Terrible and expensive ($13)

on 5/24/2008 4:25:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

I usually enjoy Redken products, but this one actually made me mad. It dries too fast, so unless u apply hot iron the very second you spray this stuff on, you will end up with an ugly clutchy section of hair. Also, it is way too overdrying. Will not use or repurchase this product ever again.

on 9/1/2007 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Redken Hot Sets is the only product that can help me curl my long hair. I can curl and curl and use hot rollers and a really hot curling iron and a bunch of products or hairspray and nothing works like hot sets. I can do the nice "Jessica Simpson" curls with my long hair when I use this.