September 23, 2014 | 2010 users online

Foundations - La Bella Donna - loose mineral powder foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 3:52:00 AM More reviews by Caracal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is it, my HG foundation, the only brand/style that hasn't made me break out or react in 25 years of makeup failures. I have dry sensitive skin and wasn't at all interested in trying a powdery mineral makeup, instead opting for tinted moisturizer and concealer when I needed some sort of coverage. Then a stylist recommended LBD. The heavens opened.

I've never been able to perfectly match a foundation color to my exact skin tone, and fortunately had a stylist to guide me. The LBD website has specific breakdowns of the tone compositions (peach/pink/beige/golden/olive, fair/medium/dark) of each foundation color, and examples of celebrities with the specific skin tones. I'm a medium, cool, beige (like Fergie) and ordered Caterina for summer, mixing with lighter Rosa in wintertime. It was perfect. The trick as other reviewers have stated is to go easy on applying the product, putting only a tiny amount on the brush, tapping and swirling it onto the face. Use very sheer layers, buffing each and build up for more complete coverage. This product gives a beautiful glow and surprisingly isn't drying at all. It evens out skin tone and feels smooth to the touch. Mine lasts great through hot yoga and hiking but I don't cake it on. BTW referring to the Loose Mineral Powder. The Mineral Powder in the mirrored compact case is chalky and the texture isn't nearly as attractive on.

LBD is fair trade, hypoallergenic and organic which doesn't come cheap. I love a deal and usually order from Dermstore.com on their 20% discount sale days. I desperately want more people to know about LBD as they're super boutique-y. Would fall apart if they d-c'd!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by kpodaru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

my sister turned me onto this product. i'd been struggling with a sudden onslaught of hyper-sensitivity of my skin (i have dry, sensitive skin with some eczema patches that tend to flare up when my skin is hyper sensitive).

after trying several of my good ol' regular makeup and skin products, i wasn't finding any relief until i switched to an all-natural skin care line and switched to la bella donna.
i found with my old makeup, i was getting irritated mid-day and my skin would freak out. since switching to LBD, my skin is flawless and the makeup itself is amazing. i used to have to apply a lot of makeup products to make my skin look as flawless as it does with just this one product so i gave all of my other makeup away to my friends. i know only need 4 makeup products to make me look amazing (when i used to have a drawer full).

LOVE this line!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 11:14:00 PM More reviews by JayLammMD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's finally happened, after 100's of dollars and giving away stuff that didn't exactly work, I found La Bella Donna. I was honored to attend an event at Montage Deer Valley Resort at the exclusive Kim Vo Salon. They had a make up artist there from La Bella Donna. I coulnd't beleive the claims, It's all organic, (triple milled rock) it has a natural SPF for UVA, and UVB rays. It's lasts all day long until you remove it. Through sweat, wind, snow, pollutants, she said this stuff will stay on.
She colouor matched me and I loved it instantly. I've worn it every day since, and all of the promises are true. It's on the pricey side, but given that I've been using it for two months now and there is barely a dent in the prodcuct, I think it ends up being reasonable.
It doesn't fell itchy like most mineral make up I've tried. I has a glow, not a shine.
I also use their pressed powder in the shade Amber for a bronzer.
I can't wait to save up and try some of their other products.
Also this product can be layered. Use it first...then apply whatever you like over it, It acts as a barrier and will not let the other product absorb and clog your pores. And you never have to add a sunscreen.
Five Lippies and HG for this prodcuts.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2009 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Pleeners

I have a red undertone to my skin - The constant blusher - plus the rosacea that goes along with that and this product is fantastic. I have used Bare Minerals off and on and always get these little red bumps - but use it anyway until I heard about La Bella Donna - Less ingredients and more pure some say. I say it works FANTASTIC - I bought my first one and it is called Marta - Great color for many - I purchased on line, I feel the extra $$ is worth it for this product -

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2008 9:40:00 PM More reviews by grandecafeamericano

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love with the La Bella Donna loose mineral foundation.I am a Caterina. I have worn mineral makeup for a while now, and it was until I needed to carry a line at my spa that I did the real research. I am a Bare Essentials convert. LBD is definitley hard to find. They are a couture high end line, that you will not find just anywhere. How I compare it to the popular B.E. is that LBD doesn't leave you looking grey. And it is more pure than anything out there. I did not mind paying more, because I felt the color and coverage was better. And it gave me a nice glow.

With mineral make-up, it is all about application. So if you want more coverage you have to apply it with a concealer brush. This also helps control getting it airborne since it is loose. It doesn't compare to other lines. And I think I have tried just about all of them.

My only suggestion is when you get your loose mineral powder, don't completely remove all of the plastic from the container. Only poke about several holes. This will sift out just enough. Ciao!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by DEB2171

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After reading lots of reviews on mineral makeup and trying a few inexpensive ones, I decided to try either Jane Iredale or La Bella Donna. Neither was easy to find in department stores in my area. I ended up ordering La Bella Donna because finding the right color was easier on their website. I have very sensitive acne-prone skin and feared the mineral makeup would not provide enough coverage but I was amazed at the loose mineral foundation. It provides decent coverage, even on my reddest days. Best of all, it doesn't crack and settle in lines - one of the many things I just "love" about getting older. On a trip to NYC in December, I stopped in Bergdorf Goodman and had my makeup done by the La Bella Donna rep. I ended up spending a small fortune but I'm really happy with the loose powder foundation, blush, eye shadows and concealer. I also ended up ordering the Co-exist gel creme, which creates a very smooth look is gentle enough for my lousy skin. The loose mineral foundation lasts several months and truly a little bit goes a long way. The only thing I would not re-purchase is their foundation brush. It loses bristles all over my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2006 2:39:00 PM More reviews by buffysaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was thrilled when I discovered this product two years ago (and though it's certainly expensive, I'm still on my first container). I have extremely acne-prone skin and therefore have never been able to use liquid foundation regularly, despite my need for it due to rosacea and acne. I'd previously spent years only spot-covering with Shine Free concealer. Then one day I found myself at the La Bella Donna counter at Bergdof's, and before I knew it the woman there had transformed me. Not only were all of my flaws covered, but I could barely tell I was wearing makeup. Before buying it, however, I first researched other mineral foundations, including Bare Escentuals and Youngblood. These and many others contain mica, which my naturally oily skin does NOT need, and I couldn't find a color match. Though LBD's Nicoletta is also a tad dark for me, it is by far the best fit, and I will definitely repurchase it. I did not, however, buy the makeup brush - I couldn't bring myself to pay another $45, and I was about to go into the jungle for a year where the chance of death-by-mold was high (for my products, not me!). I instead bought an Upstage Professional brush from a drugstore, which was adequate. Now that I'm back in civilization, however, I bought a BE flawless application brush and a maximum coverage concealer brush, both of which I am happy with. Now every day I will use only the concealer brush for spot coverage or both for all-over coverage. I'll one day also try a Bobbi Brown kabuki brush for more complete coverage. I have never needed to use a separate concealer. Two further notes: 1. this product will not control shine, so I need to blot throughout the day (toilet paper works for me) and 2. the powder will badly exaggerate any flakiness, so be sure to moisturize/exfoliate well beforehand (I use only a thick sunscreen).
**UPDATE** It's 2009, and this is still my HG foundation. The kabuki brush didn't do it for me (especially when used over sunscreen), so I've been sticking with my two BE brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2005 5:41:00 AM More reviews by tkaste

This is the best mineral line I have used and I have used many! The soft glow (not shine) is beautiful, last all day. I know 50 seems like alot but I find it last me at least 6 months so I believe it is a bargin. I am trying new things this week, expecting my order. Just wish I had some one closer than New York city that sold it so I could try more. I got my new order from Bergdorf Goodman and was told what ever I ddn't like to send back for a refund. Got to love that.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2005 1:23:00 PM More reviews by sassylass

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a good product, but not for those people in climates where you sweat a lot (like here in FLorida). Combined with perspiration, this product becomes cakey. Would not do well for those with dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2005 3:28:00 AM More reviews by pepsigirl

I really like this stuff. I got a bunch of samples, and I can easily where 3 shades (maybe 4). It has good coverage. I still need a cover up for blemishes though. But I just love the feel. It is so wonderful to throw out all that liquid stuff. I am a mineral girl for life.