September 18, 2014 | 1719 users online

Styling Products - Redken - Fresh Curls scrunch gel [DISCONTINUED]

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2011 1:51:00 AM More reviews by slivola

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I went back and forth with this product for a day 2 refresher. I would spray a few pumps into my hands and distribute onto my hair. Did enhance curl and add texture but would leave it crunchy unless I diffused after refreshing. Also felt very waxy and product-y. I finally discovered aveda and said goodbye to my on again off again relationship with redken.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2010 3:20:00 PM More reviews by shindee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is for anyone with permed hair.

I have a digital perm, and because of my fine hair it can only hold a limp wave on its own. With this scrunching gel, I get dramatically bouncier and more defined curls/waves (however I feel like styling it).

I DON'T spray this directly into my hair, it just makes a concentrated, heavy glob on that particular section. I pump it in to my hands and rub my palms before scrunching for even distribution. I use three pumps--one all over when I flip my hair over, then one each for the left and right sides of my hair. I always style it into damp hair. Never leaves my hair icky, heavy, dull, greasy, etc.

I can't say it helps much with frizz, still looking for something that will handle that. Otherwise, definitely an amazing curling product!

UDPATE: Actually, anyone with a digital perm should just not bother with curling products and get the Aussie Moist conditioner/shampoo line. Digital perms look best with MOISTURE and nothing else :) not even styling products.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/19/2010 9:46:00 AM More reviews by rosekiss16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't like this product very much for my curly/wavy fine brown hair. I have been using the Redken Fresh Curls shampoo and conditioner which I do happen to love. Thought I would try the Boost spray gel for a change. I sprayed into my hands so it would be distributed evenly, and then used the diffuser like I normally do. I only dried it 70% of the way, and after air drying, I still had like 20% frizziness. I had to run a anti frizz serum through my hair and now my curls are weighed down and greasy. I MIGHT try putting FX Curls UP gel thru my hair first, which eliminates frizz, and then scrunch the Fresh Curls Spray gel...but I have a feeling I won't get amazing results.
I will probably keep going back to my Curls Rock Boost and Amplifier, which are my HG curly products!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by SexySnowfall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

LOVE!! I have long, thick, course hair, and this really boosts the natural curl! My hair is retarded because the underneath hair is really curly and top has a more slight wave to being straight. this stuff evens all the texture out and has fantastic hold! I have noticed spraying it directly on my hair makes it blotchy and unevenly distributed though, so I spray some in my hands then lightly scrunch, that does the trick! Smells great too! its a regular part of my "curly/wavy" hair day routine so when I'm out I will buy more!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2009 1:50:00 PM More reviews by DidgeridooYourNails

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have long, thick, wavy hair and a hairdresser recommended this to create a more naturally curly look with this product together with a blow dryer. I have to say that it does work wonders, creating the curls. But if you use spray together with this product, it just weighs your hair down too much. So it does work and smells nice, but your curls don't hold that long since you can't use spray with it. I think it might work better if you have shorter hair that is not so thick.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 3:38:00 PM More reviews by violet04

I have fine hair that has a little bit of natual wave to it. It would be categorized as Type 2 from naturallycurly.com. I have been blowdrying and straightening my hair for years, but just recently decided to embrace my hair's natual state.

I used wear my hair in an angled bob that I had to style with a flat iron. I had my stylist cut in lots of layers to help bring out the wavy-ness in my hair.

To style my hair, I just a tiny amount of Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream and then spray Redken Fresh Curls on my hair. I also flip my hair upside down and spray some more of the product. I dry my hair with a diffuser on a low setting while scrunching my hair. After that I curl a few pieces with a curling iron and use hair spray.

Fresh Curls does a great job of enhancing the waves in my hair and keeping the hold throughout the day. This is definitely an HG product for me and works well for my hair type and styling method. If I use too much product, I notice a bit of "crunchiness" in my hair, but otherwise my waves stay put during the day and don't fall flat. This is a great product!

I have also tried John Frieda Dream Curls, but for me that doesn't even compare to Redken Fresh Curls. I did another review for John Frieda.

I have already re-purchased this product and will continue to do so!

ETA: I added a picture to my profile to show what my hair looks like after styling. The picture was taken several hours after I had originally styled my hair.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2007 7:39:00 PM More reviews by brennau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have always had straight hair but recently after showering, I started getting waves in my hair. I always wanted more curl in my hair so I purchased this to help. I got a hot sox diffuser (which is cool because it fits on every blowdryer) and after spraying this and drying my hair it looked SOOOOO pretty. Beautiful big waves but my long hair weighed it down through out the day and ended up looking like I had a lot of product in it. Not the right product for my hair but if you have lots of curls, I would buy this for sure!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2007 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Tatiana12

This is a review for Redken's Fresh Curls Curl Boost. I have moderately curly hair, and use this product with its very light hold to straighten my bangs, buffer the blow-dryer effect, deal with three cowlicks, and pump up a few flatter curl spots. It's formula for minimal hold, but just the right amount of "gel" ness, works for me for keeping a good shape to my curls, and for some straightening effect when I want it. There is no number rating assigned to this product, as Redken now rates the hold on their products with numbers 1-22 or so. (See my review on Concrete, 22 hold, great stuff for a persistent cowlick, finicky bangs, etc.) Not sure what product people are rating in this category. The packaging has changed, and now is a lighter teal blue, used to be a darker, see-thru navy-celedon blue for Curl Boost. I like the stuff, and supposedly, it is one of Redken's biggest sellers.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2007 12:38:00 PM More reviews by iamnotdead83

This has become an instant HG product for me. I was always one of those girls who HAD to have straight hair. It's not that I have anything against curls, I just didn't like mine. I used to tell everyone that the reason why I didn't wear my hair natural was because I didn't have nice curls. My hair is curly in some spots, slightly wavy in others, and thick. I recently went to my stylist, because I wanted to get my hair cut before I went away for a week. I told her that I wanted to start wearing it curly, instead of straightening it everyday, cause I wanted something easy. She used the fresh curls spray gel on my hair, and it gave me the most amazing curls that I didn't think that I had. No frizz, no poof!! I also love the smell, its kind of incensy. My stylist did use a diffuser on my hair, but it comes out just as good if you don't use one. I immediately bought this stuff, and brought it with me when I went away. I received a lot of compliments on my curls. I no longer have to straighten my hair everyday because of this product. I have not bought the whole line, because I read mixed reviews. I think it works good with anything, so I don't think I'm going to buy the shampoo/conditioner anytime soon. Besides, I'm not really one to spend a lot of money on beauty products. This spray gel alone was def worth it though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2007 9:43:00 AM More reviews by eam123

I finally broke down and bought this, being desperate for SOMETHING to put in my hair on humid days. I have longish wavy hair that gets very frizzy in the heat. This worked OK, but it did leave my hair a bit crunchy, and the frizz control wasn't the best. I did get one compliment on my hair, though. I used to use john Freida ocean waves, and that was the best, so nothing I've found has compared. I probably would have given it a higher review if it wasn't $17!!!! Ouch.