December 21, 2014 | 1803 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint - Bare Canvas

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by camilka

The best primer in the world! The yellow tone is perfect for my nc15 skin and it has a little bit of shimmer. Eyeshadows last all day and look very nice. Endless tube but be cateful not to squeeze out too much.

EDIT: taking a lippie off since i find it a littke chalky/dry looking after using it for a while. The ELF primer is surplisingly good and smooth. Covers discoloration aswell.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 9:38:00 AM More reviews by Jeux

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased MAC paint in Bare Canvas a month ago and have used it almost daily since I got it. I love this as a base. My eye shadow never creases and keeps it looking great all day with out he need for touch ups. Only a tiniest amount is necessary. I have very dry eye lids that are prone to dermatitis , I rub a little jojoba oil on them first ( since using the jojoba, I have not had any dermatitis ) once the skin has absorbed the jojoba oil, I put on the mac paint as a base and then eye shadow . Previously I was using MAC Paint Pot in Painterly as a base, but I still did get some creasing . Staying power of Mac Paint is superior to paint pot , in my opinion . However I prefer the opaqueness and colour of painterly paint pot, I use the paint pot over the top of Bare Canvas paint for a natural look.
Bare Canvas is light weight and does cover some redness on the eye lid slightly , but not as well as painterly paint pot. But if you're looking for a better base that makes your shadow stay on and not crease , Mac Paint has my vote.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

This product took some getting used to, but once I got the hang of using it, I ended up really, really liking it. I originally got this because I had run out of my Urban Decay Primer Potion and wanted to try something new. Like I said, I wasn't a huge fan at first. The tube is tiny and has a little screw-off cap, which can be a little awkward to handle, and if you drop the itty-bitty cap somewhere, good luck finding it! I would always squeeze out wayyyy more than I needed, resulting in a lot of wasted product. Seriously, you just barely touch this and the product starts coming out, so be careful! Another thing I learned the hard way is that less is more with this. I usually ended up applying too much of this to my eyes, which resulted in a dry, cakey base...Not the base I want for my shadows! You need less of this than you think to cover your eyes.
Once I sorted out all my issues, I ended up loving this stuff, even more than UDPP. The tube seems tiny, but it lasts sooo long because you use so little. I really liked that this had some color and coverage to it. I have really veiny eyelids, so I prefer my primers/bases to have a little coverage to them. But the best part about this is that nothing would budge with this underneath! Cream shadows, shadows, pigments, liners...everything I tried stayed put all day long if I used this beforehand. I was using this when I was in college and had long days, and I loved that this would hold up through my morning classes, my afternoon nap, and my evening classes!
I keep meaning to get this baby again, but I don't have a MAC nearby, and I always forget about it when I actually do make it to MAC. Oops! But honestly, this is an awesome base/primer for the eyes. Even if you're loyal to UDPP/TFSI (like I used to be!), give this a try. I doubt you'll be disappointed!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 10:34:00 AM More reviews by 21bedofroses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I loved the product contents & sad to say its discontinued nationwide where I lived. Now I replaced it with painterly paint pot & recently managed to get soft ochre via a friend...still prefer bare canvas for more opaque color payoff which helps make eye color more vibrant. However had problems with the packaging big time. When it's new, a lot of product tends to be squeezed out with just a light squeeze, i've to plot the tiny mess into a small container in order not to waste it. When it's about to finish the paintwork on the packaging starts to come off n sticks to your fingers when u squeeze it so I've to put a small plastic over the tube.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by MissusJones

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

This little gem has been a staple in my makeup arsenal for quite a while now and I don't know what I'd do without it!! I've heard folks say "it's a paint pot in a tube" but I think it's much more blendable, applies easier, and is WAY less drying than the paint pot formulas (although I do adore them as well). I love using it as my eyeshadow primer...it makes my shadow last forever, have amazing color, and they don't crease at all during the day. It's such a beautiful color, I usually let a bit peek out on its own as well! (It is somewhat shimmery, so just keep that in mind in case you're not into shimmer). Lemme tell you, it will last till ya wash it off! It's also great for light makeup days because it brightens and covers just enough to take the "dull and dark" out of my lids. I have always applied this product very light handed and sheer whether I'm using it for primer or shadow...I've found that applying it too thick had a bit of a drying effect on my lids, but I've heard that some people remedy that by applying it on a damp lid or with a damp brush? I haven't braved that territory just yet, but this stuff is definitely worth the money and I imagine it would flatter just about any skin tone, even if just as a highlighter. Happy MAC painting!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 9:01:00 PM More reviews by AUSSIEMUMMA

Expensive but the best! Tube and screw cap perhaps a little awkward for some but doesn't bother me. Tube lasts a long time. I use bare canvas to prime my eyelids before eyeshadow application. Covers my blue and red veins completely and evens out the skin tone on my lids - making them look naturally flawless! Does't crease or settle into lines and it prolongs eyeshadow wear :) Highly recommend and will buy for life!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted a cream type eye shadow that would look good on it's own as my eyelids but better and still operate as a good eyeshadow base for when I wanted to wear other eyeshadow looks. I thought that was what I was getting with this product. First of all the tube is tiny and if left unopened (as when you're applying the eyeshadow to that first eyelid), a bunch will leak right out, and it'll be much more that would normally be used. Secondly, the eyeshadow itself is quite dry and the sparkle in it is not terrible but still too noticable for me and when it dries it seems to have the worst texture. It seemed too that every powder eyeshadow that went over it then accentuated the dryness and unappealing texture as well. I think I was looking for something a little more hydrating and convenient but this is too difficult to work with.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2012 2:13:00 PM More reviews by DPD

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I find this better than paint pots which dry out and dot go on smoothly, although the packaging of this is horrendous.
The product itself is great but very thick. The best way ive fould to use this is to use like a synthetic or duo fibre fluffy blending eye shadow brush. Im currently using thebaseshadow brush from the Real Techniques eye shadow set.
You just need to buff a very small amount. I also find the colour to be a great neutral. Soft Ochre just looks too obvious and almost white and painterly is too pale and pink on my NC42 skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by Garna_Divka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Overall nice product.
Package - tricky to use, tiny aluminum tube, easy to waste half of the content in one clumsy move. Besides, my tube appeared to be 1/4 empty which is very disappointing.
Texture is nice and silky, need a very tiny piece to cover the upper lid, no need to rub or blend a lot. First creamy, then gets powdery on skin.
Color is right to be eye shadow base, with a very subtle shimmer.
Staying power is fine, 6 hours w/o creasing. Doesn't over-dry my skin and doesn't emphasize wrinkles.
Could by it again, but there is enough stuff of the same quality for half of the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by lucretiabrgia

I was hoping to use this as highlighter for inner eye corner and as shadow base. I found it to be overly shiny and not suitable for day. Also it creased on my lids.