Diptyque Coing candle (quince)

on 11/28/2012 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Happy to report that this candle is currently available (at the time of this review), after a long discontinuation hiatus. Plus, not only is the burn unsooty on mine, the throw is excellent -- almost a throwback to the potency of oldschool Diptyques. About the scent itself: Agree with other reviewers that Coing is perfectly rendered quince in all of its honeyed fruit loveliness. Reminds me of quince jam bubbling away sweetly on the stove.

(For those who might not be familiar with the fruit, it smells *sort of* like a nontart apple crossed with a very fragrant and ripe d'Anjou pear... but this is a seriously inadequate description of the glorious and mistakable scent of quince!)

on 3/14/2009 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is one wonderful candle ! I love the smell of fresh quinces, one of my favourite fruits in autumn - and the scent of the burning candle reminds me peeling the fresh fruit for compote - juicy, tart, not too sweet. The scent is strong enough for me (well, my nose seems to be more sensitive than that of other reviewers...). And the burning quality of Diptyque candles is quite the best out there : long lasting, without a faintest trace of soot.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This smells just like the boxes of quinces that turn up in middle eastern grocers in London in early spring and autumn. Absolutely divine, but knowing what quinces themselves smell like in the first place probably helps. Not as strong as other diptyque candles i've tried over the years, but fills my little studio flat just fine. Gorgeous.

on 2/2/2004 7:49:00 PM

This is supposed to smell like "Quince". I have no idea what quince smells like (for me, the name evokes some kind of Dickensian fruit that you'd put in a pie)...but the candle smells very lightly of cedar shavings. Which I like. I don't get the fruit smell that the other reviewer mentioned. It's a very lightly scented candle--a shame for one so expensive--and doesn't live up to other Diptyque candles such as Fig and Baies.

on 5/28/2003 1:10:00 AM

What a shame. Mr. kate8 and I both love the scent of this candle in the jar---it's an odd, spicy, woody, fruity scent, something like oak and young apricots mixed together. Unfortunately, this is one of those Diptyques that doesn't throw very well---it's very undetectable in our large living room area, even when I stand nearby. I moved it to our bedroom several nights ago, and it's doing better in the smaller space, but still not well enough to justify its price. (There are other Diptyques out there with a worthwhile throw---Pomander is a good example.) I will not repurchase, but I like the fragrance enough that I would consider pursuing the room spray version.

Popular Candles