April 25, 2014 | 1065 users online

Shampoo - Nexxus - Therappe Shampoo

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by Shampooaholic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this shampoo! I have super fine hair and I'm letting the color grow out. I have about 8 inches of new brown growth and the rest is damaged, fried blond. I'm always looking for moisture shampoo and this is one of the best so far! It cleans my hair we'll without stripping it and leaves it super silky smooth and soft and doesn't weigh it down. I pair it with Pureology hydralight conditioner because the matching conditioner doesn't work well with the shampoo. Will for sure repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2014 5:02:00 AM More reviews by hyukluv3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this shampoo quite a bit. Wasn't sure I would but it was in rebate at costco in a big bottle so I had to get it. I am pleasantly surprised because I am picky about shampoo. My scalp gets dry and my hair gets frizzy. It is color treated, long, medium/fine and wavy by the way. I LOVE the smell and texture and the amazing amount of lather. A little if this stuff goes a loooong way. I recommend rinsing very well so this doesn't leave residue or oiliness. It has not done so for me but due to the super silky nature I could see that happening. I would repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2013 5:24:00 AM More reviews by lenkaru

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product because of the good reviews but after trying it for a couple of weeks my scalp broke out in this horrible itchy rash,and my hair feels dry and rough. Will never purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

Great moisturizing shampoo, affordable price. I've been using this for years. Cleanses well without leaving my hair feeling coated. Tons of rich lather that rinses clean. What I love about this is that after shampooing, my hair is so moisturized that I can actually detangle it without using conditioner. That's really something. Love the coconutty scent too.
Definitely my favorite drugstore shampoo. Not as moisturizing as Joico's Moisture Recovery Shampoo or Philip Kingsley's Moisture Extreme, but it's a lot more affordable and an excellent product.
Have repurchased many times and will continue to do so in the future.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by CanadaGirlToo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I liked the way the shampoo cleaned my hair, but the scent was so overwhelming that I had a constant headache. Once I figured out the headache started when I tried the shampoo (and conditioner), I stopped using it and the headache went away.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Rachel76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This shampoo is great...especially if you have very dry hair...but it does build-up. I love the coconut smell and how soft my hair feels after just one shampoo....it almost felt like I could skip the conditioner!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2013 3:24:00 PM More reviews by boara94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love the scent. It's kinda coconut like? It doesn't shed my hair like most other shampoos. It makes my hair feel clean without leaving it too dry. I will definitely repurchase. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am trying to find a replacement for the old formulation of Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner, which Redken changed last year (the new formula of that is terrible).

I have tried many product lines already, from cheap to expensive, but I haven't found anything even halfway as good as the All Soft used to be for my particular kind of hair.

About 20 years ago, for about one year, I used Nexxus Therappe Shampoo and the companion Nexxus Humectress conditioner. It was pretty good for my hair, but not great, and I moved on to other product lines. I have not used this brand since then, so last week I decided to give it a whirl.

Unfortunately, it was not good for my hair. Worse than it I remember it having been 20 years ago.

My chin-length dark blonde hair is "virgin" hair (not color treated, not chemically treated, not even been subjected to a hairdryer or heated styling tools in the last 2 years!)

The Nexxus made my hair:
-darker in color
-brittle and straw-like
-frizzy, rough-feeling
-dull in the light

I then looked up customer reviews of Nexxus Therappe and Humectress on Amazon, and I learned that Nexxus REFORMULATED this product line last year. Apparently the old formula, which was superior, had a grey bottle cap and the new, inferior formula has a black bottle cap.

Unfortunately, so many consumer goods companies are reformulating their products to make them cheaper to produce and cheaper in price. It's a shame, because the quality is taking a nosedive. And so many companies are doing this at the same time, which leaves few good product lines left for disappointed customers to migrate to.

If anyone knows of a good shampoo/conditioner product line that matches the effects of the OLD Redken All Soft line (before it was reformulated at the beginning of 2012), please send me a message via this site.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 10:13:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this shampoo. I never thought I'd use a moisturizing shampoo on my fine, healthy hair. But I've started using dandruff shampoos about four days a week (alternating between Neutrogena T-Sal and Neutrogena Daily Control 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo Plus Conditioner), and they can be drying. Dr. Cynthia Bailey recommends shampooing with a non-medicated shampoo before using dandruff shampoo, so I started using Nexxus Therappe, and it works great. It's lightly moisturizing without having a bunch of oils to trigger the seborrheic dermatitis that I battle on my scalp. It lathers well, cleans effectively, rinses easily, and doesn't weigh down my hair. I buy a huge 44-ounce bottle (which lasts forever) at Costco for around $15, which means it doesn't cost much more than many drugstore brands. At first the banana note in the tropical fragrance really annoyed me (I hate bananas), but now I don't even notice it. The shampoo just smells generically fruity, which is fine by me, because now I can keep using this great shampoo.

Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polyquaternium-10, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Coumarin, Styrene/VP Copolymer, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Magnesium Citrate, Honey, Allantoin, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Nettle Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Myristic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Wheat Flour Lipids, Avocado Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Soybean Sterols, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Ceramide 3, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Tocopheryl Acetate.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by mielr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I fell in love with this shampoo back in the 1980s, when I started going to the salon with my mom on a semi-regular basis. I could never really afford it, or its companion conditioner "Humectress", but I always treated myself to a bottle of each, when I could, since they seemed to make my thick, curly hair more supple (and of course, they both smelled delicious in their own way). ;-)
Today I use Therappe on a regular basis, even though I know it's been reformulated at least 2 or 3 times in the past decade. The famous pina colada scent seems to be the same as I remember it, though I honestly can't say if it's a better or worse shampoo today than it was pre-reformulations.
Looking at the new/old lists of ingredients, it's clear that many of the shampoo's most touted ingredients have been moved way down to the end of the list, when once upon a time they were near the top. It's still a good shampoo, and it's much more affordable than it once was (is that because of the reformulations? I hope not) so I will continue to use it. I will NOT, however, EVER purchase Humectress conditioner again, due to the fact that the formula was completely changed and the once yummy apricot scent changed to something totally boring.

So, can I recommend Therappe today? Maybe. It's not exactly the same Therappe I grew up with. But, excepting 5 or 6 ingredients, the ingredient list for the older and newest formulas are essentially the same; the ingredients are just in a different order! As with anything, your miles may vary, so try it. At least they didn't add anything bad to the new formula like Sodium LAURYL Sulfate, so that's something to be thankful for!

NEWEST FORMULA? (2012?):
Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Laureth 6 Carboxylate, Glycol Distearate, Polyquaternium 10, Cocamide MEA, PEG 6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Fragrance (Parfum), Disodium EDTA, Coumarin, Panthenol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Sodium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium Citrate, Honey (Mel), Allantoin (Comfrey Root), Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract (Nettle), Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract (Rosemary), Quilaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Polysorbate 60, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Matricaria), Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Myristic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids (Wheat), Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Glycene Soja (Soybean) Sterols (Soybean), Alpha Glucan Oligosaccharide, Ceramide 3, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E).

OLDER FORMULA (PRE-2009):
Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Matricaria (Chamomilla Recutita) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosemarinus Officinalis) Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenol, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Allantoin, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Honey (Mel), Ceramide 3, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Styrene/Methacrylic Acid/Itaconic Acid Polymer, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum).
continued >>