December 19, 2014 | 1486 users online

Fragrances - Penhaligon's - Quercus

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 6:57:00 AM More reviews by alyssian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

As expected, this may be a pricey product BUT it smells REALLY great and stays long enough for you to enjoy it! It''s versatile enough to be worn both at day and at night, and both men and women can carry off this clean and crisp scent. Buying a complete set of this (both the fragrance and bath line) was definitely worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 6:07:00 PM More reviews by RudolphGrizzly

This isn't the Penhaligon's frangrance I wanted to like the best. Fresh off the sample paper I really enjoyed Esprit du bois and Orange blossom. Unfortunately, their beauty was lost once mixed with my body chemistry. Quercus was one I kept coming back to but I didn't know why. Luckily, for my boyfriend (I drive him crazy trying to find a fragrance that I don't find boring or cloying) this one smells just as great on as in the bottle. I've recently realised I tend to prefer unisex smelling fragrances for myself as I dislike overly sweet, or floraly fragrances that are typical of high street perfumes. This is a classic and clean fragrance that you can wear anytime. A definite keeper.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2010 11:12:00 PM More reviews by lesley123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I generally really like penhaligons overall. And I love this fragrance, its clean, and fresh. Its a classic item. Whenever I am in a white t-shirt, and Jeans vibe - I usually put this one on. Yes I can see how people think its CK one-ish, but its got more layers, smells a little more sophisticated, and less chemically. I would buy again, and keep as part of my massive fragrance collection, If you are all about clean timeless functionality, not so much about florals....I would recommend checking this out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2010 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Bonnerka

A lovely fresh subtle scent, ideal for summer. Top notes: Lemon, Lime, Mandarin and Bergamot, Heart: Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Cardamom , Base:Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Galbanum, Musk, Amber. I also love the simple retro bottle.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2008 2:40:00 PM More reviews by jemimagold

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like Quercus more than I did. I am a sucker for traditional, luxury items of quality and adore the classically stylish Penhaligon's bottles. My favorite genre of perfume is probably citrus. But, Quercus, was just ho hum. It was a thin citrus fragrance with musky notes, none of which had much depth or complexity. It seemed watery and weak, and needless to say it did not last long on my skin. Smell-wise Quercus reminded me a lot of CKOne and who wants to remember that?

I think the biggest obstacle Quercus faces is strong competition from fellow colognes. Its own sister Blenheim Bouquet is a wonderfully sunny floral chypre that leaves Quercus in the shade and raises the question as to why Penhaligon's feels the need to carry both fragrances. Also easily outclassing Quercus are Parfums de Nicolai's Balle de Match, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Rochas and Bulgari's The Vert Extreme.

Here are the notes from Penhaligon's website: Top- Cardamom, Galbanum, Lime, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin; Middle- Jasmine, Muguet; Base- Sandalwood, Treemoss, Musk. (SSS) 5/10

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2006 7:11:00 AM More reviews by windchild

I got this for my boyfriend as a birthday present. It's unisex, leaning slightly more to the masculine end but sporty girls will probably like it too. It opens with a clear fresh citrus note, drying down to a slightly leathery, warm woody scent. The best thing about this is that it's never cloying, very clean, crisp and fresh at all levels. Great for people who enjoy sunshine, the outdoors and sports. A youngish, yuppy fragrance. Would love this on a tennis court with all the blinding tennis whites and even on a crisp business shirt. Preppy and cool. (The boyfriend even got asked by a girl on the bus what scent he was wearing! Whereupon he replied with a nonchalant, "I don't know. My girlfriend got it for me.")

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2005 12:29:00 PM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Quercus has a wonderful opening zing of lime, bergamot and citrus - very refreshing! After that, however, it is a little disappointing. I can smell some lily of the valley and musk in the drydown, but the scent is gone within two hours. I will enjoy using my sample up but would not buy this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2004 10:33:00 AM More reviews by bellydancer

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This unisex fragrance turns a bit too masculine on me. I don't get a green scent at all-- more of a citrus opening, deepening into a slightly spicy, almost leathery scent. Don't know where I'm getting that looking at Mayra's notes posted below, but that's what it smells like on me. I might like it better on my husband.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2003 3:01:00 PM More reviews by karen987

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is becoming my new signature scent - get lots of compliments from men on this. This is the sort of scent you only notice when close :o) Very fresh, light, clean. Quercus is marketed as a unisex fragrance after all.

Another reviewer suggested it was very similar to EL's Pleasures which I don't agree with at all. That's sweet, floral with a dash of spice and dare I say synthetic-smelling - very different to Quercus which is much sharper to my nose. Just done a quick test of both as I have a sample of Pleasures at the moment - which reminds me to bin it.

Not many fragrances that I repurchase but on my 2nd bottle of this already. Now off to wash away Pleasures...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2003 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Mayra

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Created in 1996 by Penhaligon, Quercus has got to be my favorite of the Penhaligon range. Fresh and classic.Top Notes - Cardamom, Galbanum, Lime, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin
Middle Notes - Jasmine, Muguet
Base Notes - Sandalwood, Treemoss, Musk Crisp, unisex citrus that's a lot of fun to apply and re-apply. A dream of a scent for citrus lovers yet not green at all. Nor a chypre. Wonderful woody notes that give it a lot of personality and prevents them one becoming flat citrus on the skin. Refreshing, exhilarating. Ode to summer and everything delightful and fresh about it. Wonderful range of bath, hair and body products, all wonderfully packaged and very affordable. Available at Saks SF. (Gorgeous Penhaligon counter with friendly staff. Lots of fun to shop at) continued >>