July 30, 2014 | 1744 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Mer - the concentrate

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by GwenNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Yes, it's expensive. No, it's not your typical serum. It's absolutely not for everyone, and isn't meant to be. Based on what I've read from other reviewers who were disappointed, I think they were seeking a "normal" high-end serum. Fortunately, this serum is anything but normal. I've slowly been transitioning to products to help soothe my red and irritated skin, which is at the beginning stages of mild rosacea. Not fun, as I was using a bounty of La Prairie products that now sit in a drawer.

My face (primarily my cheeks) had become red and hot to the touch, and I found myself incredibly uncomfortable. I tried everything I could find in my bounty of beauty products, to no avail. Luckily, I happened to save a couple of samples of this serum which literally transformed my skin overnight. I awoke with cool and do the skin, after months of inflammation and being uncomfortable. I bit the bullet and immediately ordered the large bottle. Definitely not an inexpensive purchase.

I have been using this serum for two weeks now in the morning under moisturizer & SPF (Chantecaille), and my face has never looked better or more calm. Since I had been using intensive anti-aging products, I was worried about losing the effects of those products. One of the many great things about the serum is that it can be layered. Actually, I've mainly been applying it to my cheeks, and applying a retinol serum on my chin and forehead which don't seem to be affected by redness or irritation. I finish with an eye cream and use overnight masks a couple of times a week, and my skin is looking great. Old acne scars are quickly disappearing before my very eyes, which is a welcome bonus. The bottle certainly isn't the best design, but will certainly last me a good six months at the least. IMHO, this greatly diminishes the sticker shock. I think it's worth every penny.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Walko

I think with La Mer products you either love or hate,but I'm not impressed at all with any of their products.I find them over priced and over rated .This is no different. I had a generous sample, I didn't even finish it mainly because of the ingredients .It contains several irritating plant extracts one of which is eucalyptus oil .That oil is one of the most irritating fragrant oils there is .How is that skin care? There are far better serums out there at a fraction of the price of this that actually benefit skin.This is so not worth it.Don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by a2bruta

This may be insanely expensive but it is worth every penny. I have VERY sensitive skin that is prone to allergies and acne. This is one product that always calms my skin, heals breakouts and gets rid of scarring quick. I don't feel it does immediate miracles in terms of brightening/taking years off etc but I've been using La Mer for 10 years and now at 35 I don't have a single wrinkle. If I ever have a burn I put it on and within 2 days it's healed with no scarring. If it does that to a burn think what it does to your skin on a daily basis!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by inmyopinion

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The concentrate is excellent for winter skin in dry cold Canada as well as on tropical vacation in the Caribbean, in that it smoothes skin out. I have only used it for a week, but I notice that it does exfoliate the skin, which is good if there is roughness to be smoothed out.
In order to put the crème foundation on, it is then important to remove the layers of skin which have been exfoliated first.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by Beautien

It's a love hate with this product. I love what it does but I hate the price, packaging and it's secret. Working for cosmetics I have dipped into quite a few jars of serums and concentrate. I realized the La Mer concentrate is the exact same as the Estée Lauder advanced night repair. Same texture, smell, most of ingredients listed. I'm shocked! And you're spending 3x the price. Well, this product is a miracle for burns, cuts, scrapes and scars though. My mother loves it for it diminishes a lot of her spots and scars. The little plastic wand attached to the cap is useless by the time you get 1/4 left of the jar since it doesn't scoop up much product. Anyway, I would buy it.... But knowing its similar to ANR, I'll be more hesitant.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by tangmay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't remember the last time I write a product review, even though I have encountered a lot of great products, but this one really surprised me!

I've used up one bottle last year already, but never really sure what it did to my skin. Just a few months ago I bought it again (as I got it at a good price), and started using more religiously after sun exposure, day and night, and massaging it in, and I am WOWED. Like someone mentioned below, I have generally good skin to begin with as well so I don't know how it may or may not work wonders on other skins. My key skin problem is dryness and red patches beside my nose. Overall my skin is quite "thin" and easily sensitive, but looks smooth and glowy. Without too much expectations, I used the Concentrate with my hydrating serum and creme, after some weeks I started noticing how my skin looked more healthy - no more red patches beside the nose, overall looking less "thin", and other products also absorb better. I don't know how else to describe it. I don't use it everyday now, but only when my skin starts to react to change in weather.
It is very very expensive, but despite numerous great products I have used, this is the only one which really made that ultimate difference, "strengthening", "repairing" my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2013 8:57:00 AM More reviews by tiffy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent fix for dry skin. I was searching for a quick fix to put a stop to my dry skin. Age, (perhaps hormones too), dry winter weather was putting a toil on my skin and this really turned things around. I kept thinking it was my cleanser routine (Elemis Tri-Enzyme, Cream Cleanser) but for the whole winter my skin never looked so plump, brilliant, zero breakouts and zero clogged pores. Balanced health and diet also played a role as well.
I splurged on some facial treatments a few years ago (radio frequency, ILP, Bio) but like many things, if you can't keep up with the program, the results go away too and financially, it just didn't add up.
I have to agree to with the La Mer Expert, it is the Rolls Royce of the their product line. I don't like to stick with the same product forever because new products, hormones, age changes the skin, however, this product is on my repurchase list, for now.

(I also use the Hydrating Infusion and the Creme)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/19/2013 8:08:00 AM More reviews by mivec

Out of all the La Mer products, I liked this one best, though still not enough to really actually like it. It has a very silky texture upon application, which I enjoyed, but it didn't do anything for me. It wasn't moisturizing, didn't fade scars, nada. At least it didn't smell/look like over priced Nivea cream (which creme de la mer does), but I still had to somewhat tolerate the scent (smelled bitter). Ridiculous price tag, don't even bother as the results do not justify spending all of your hard-earned money on this. There are lots better products out there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2012 3:26:00 AM More reviews by Cleanandpolished

I feel that this products work wonders on fresh acne scars, although you do need just the tiniest bit. I learnt from the SA in the HK La Mer counter to apply just an amount smaller than a pea and spreading and massaging it until it's no longer sticky/oily. Massaging is the key in this. It is wayyy too rich for daily use. I recommend alternating and using it only for spots of concern. I find my skin getting clogged up if I use it everyday.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2012 12:28:00 AM More reviews by jolamarsz

I got a sample of this from a department store because I was asking for something to help heal an area of my face from a deep peel. Everyone at the counter was extremely enthusiastic about The Concentrate, and of course they had all miracle stories. I used the sample up, and it did seem to help redness. The peeling skin was less severe, and the dryness went away pretty quickly. I decided to go online and look at the ingredient list before I put that kind of money down. Turns out, there are a ton of silicones in La Mer and not just in this particular product. I emailed La Mer and got a pretty crappy, vague answer as to why there are so many silicones in their products. They justified it as being a "skin conditioner". I have some background in dermatology, so this isn't exactly true. Even if you don't know much about skin and skincare, you have probably heard of makeup primers. Their main ingredient is silicone/silicone derivatives. Silicone does not absorb into your skin. It stays on top and holds makeup. Unfortunately, it can also block pores, and actually has a drying effect if used often. It's great for a night out under makeup, but not so much as a $300 serum. I figure that the post peel dryness seemed to go away initially because I was basically putting primer on my face. I urge anyone to go online and look at the ingredients in La Mer products. Anything ending in -cone is a type of silicone derivative. (dimethicone, trimethicone, etc) I am always willing to save up and pay more money for good quality skin care, but until La Mer removes most if not all of the silicones in their products, I won't be buying anything from them.

7 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No