July 31, 2014 | 1944 users online

Hair - Clairol - Herbal Essences Highlights

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2011 11:53:00 PM More reviews by MeMyAngela

I seriously wished I would have read these reviews before I bought this product. I highlighted my hair with it a few months back. HORRIBLE. Freaking out at the first attempt, because they turned out orange and spotted, I did it over again on some areas. Bad idea, again. I finally gave up and luckily my mother had almost the right color hair dye, so I used it. Now a few months after, my roots are coming in black, but not too noticeable. But, the hair dye didn't completely stay to the bad highlighted spots. That had been the first I ever colored my beautiful long hair. I cringe everyday when I see the two areas that were really bad. Hopefully, I don't look very dumb while it grows out. Over all. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2009 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Rach008

The summer between 7th and 8th grade (when I was 13) I decided I wanted to highlight my hair for the first time. My mom agreed to help me apply the highlights and we went to Wal-Mart to look for a kit. This kit seemed like a good choice (I used the one for medium brown hair) and was a descent price. When we got it home I cut out a piece of hair from the back underneath part of my head and did the "strand test". I left it on for about 20 minutes and the results seemed pretty good but it was hard to tell since the hair sample was pretty thin. So my mom applied the highlights to my hair with the plastic comb applicator (actually the applicator seemed to work really well.) Then followed the directions and left it on for 20min like for the strand test. When the time was up I rinsed out the color and applied the conditioner (I loved the conditioner it left my hair smooth and it smelled amazing). I towel dried my hair and looked at the highlights in the mirror...they looked kind of copper colored but it was hard to tell since my hair was still wet. I blow dried my hair and looked at the highlights...they were an orangey- yellow color and were very splotchy. The only good thing about this kit was the easy to use comb applicator and the wonderful smelling conditioner. Overall this kit produced terrible results and my highlights looked orange cheap and completely fake... I obviously don't recommend this kit!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by jsellers

I desperately wanted highlights a few years ago and the Herbal Essences brand looked like a good idea. Biggest hair mistake of my life! The color was relatively decent but the application was impossible.

The comb was a square-shaped platform with plastic "bristles" on the edge. This was supposed to ensure that the highlights were evenly sized and spaced. However, I experienced the complete opposites. My highlights ended up being large chunks of color at the roots and hardly any on the ends.

I've been trying to recover my hair to its natural color for years now and they still haven't completely grown out. I definitely wouldn't recommend this product for highlights. It seems good in theory, but fails miserably in reality.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2007 12:05:00 PM More reviews by gem2534

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have dyed medium auburn hair, but since there is no product for red hair, I used the Caramel shade for medium to dark brown hair. Since the highlights were supposed to come out a light copper, I figured that it would look nice in my medium red hair.
The comb is a bit hard to get used to, but after a couple of tries on the underside of my hair I was ready to tackle the top. The formula is a bright pink color, so it is easy to see exactly where you are putting the highlights. (It also helps to have a friend there to assist).
Overall I am satisfied with this product, but next time I will concentrate the most color on the ends of the highlights instead of the roots. (The roots pull more color than the ends, so you end up lighter there).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2006 3:14:00 PM More reviews by sh99x

Highlights can be done at home but you do need to know what you are doing! I like the formula of this product (I have dark blonde base hair color and used the cool blonde highlights). This formula lifted my highlights to a beautiful buttery blonde color...but, like another reviewer, I used the L'Oreal application brush (looks like a large mascara wand) rather than the plastic wand thing that came with it.

With this type of paint-on highlighting, you must be very careful where you place the dye. Use gloves and lift up the strand of hair that you want to highlight. Apply the product with the wand while you are holding the strand up away from your head, and use the gloves to evenly smooth product from root to end. IF you get any glops of dye on your head, other than the strands you want to highlight, take a wet tissue and get it off of there...that way you will avoid spots. And make the strands you choose to color thinner rather than thick, and it will look much more natural.

Leave the product on long enough to lift to the color you want. The box said 30 minutes, and I gave it 30 minutes. My results look like a $125 highlight job. And I only used half the box! (But to do this I used the tray from a L'Oreal kit since this one comes with a bottle instead of a tray).

I've tried different highlighting kits this year and this by far gave the best color for dark blonde with light blonde highlights, although as I stated you might want to consider a different application brush.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2005 2:16:00 PM More reviews by bigemom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

HORRIBLE STUFF! I tried this without reviewing on P'ville. Big mistake! The comb is fairly easy to use and a good idea in general but it ended up leaving big clumps of highlighter on my roots and nothing on the end. Then it gets better, the stupid stuff turns my dirty blonde hair spotted and orange. My husband said it looked like a tiger (gee thanks). I have used over the counter highlighters before but nothing that turned out like this. The color is horrible. I am orange and speckled. See what I get for trying to save a little money and not going to my hairdresser. It will cost me more money in the long run.
DO NOT BUY!!! I have never hated a product so much.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2005 9:47:00 AM More reviews by snuff

I wish you had the option of not giving any lippies! I also wish I hadn't just discovered this website or I could have saved my poor hair. As mentioned by some others, the strand test didn't work at all, so I figured the results would be very subtle. I did my whole hair, struggling with the useless comb. I put it on for the minimum amount of time and washed it out. Instead of nice, cool blond streaks I looked like I dunked my head in hydrogen peroxide. It was a vivid yellow shade. The worst of it is that now I have breakage all along the hair shaft and look like I'm sprouting wings all over my head. Never again!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2004 10:55:00 AM More reviews by sweetangel04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I picked up the copper colored highlights kit. I thought okay, it will come out to be a nice pretty color.As I opened the box and started to mix everything. The creme turned bright hot pink, it states that it is there to guide you. So I applied it, I left it on for as long as the box said to. When I washed it out, My hair was Bright PINK! I had Pink highlights. It took me two days to finally get that out, This stuff is crap. Stay away from this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2004 12:51:00 PM More reviews by vermilion27

Oh, if I had only read the reviews of my fellow MUAer's...Alas, I would not be sitting here with orange sploches on my roots. THIS PRODUCT IS HORRIBLE!!! I followed the instructions EXACTLY and instead of coming out with the nice, even streaks, I came out with roots of orange and the rest of my hair, nothing else. I have dark, blackish-brown hair, left over from another hair-dying diaster a couple months agao, due to yes, another Clariol product, Natural Instincts. Back then, wanting to even out my dark hair, I choose what seemed to be a neutral dark brown, but it left my hair jet-black, and it WOULDN'T wash out in the acclaimed 28 shampoos. So, now 5 months later, I decided to use Herbal Essences Highlighting kit to highlight my disastered, flat dark hair to make it a little more interesing, and well, it looks interesting all right!! And it was freakin' expensive at $12 a box!! BLAH AT YOU CLARIOL HAIR DYING PRODUCTS!! UGGHHHH!! THE HORROR! THE HORROR!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2004 2:30:00 PM More reviews by bigredreturns

horrible, HORRIBLE product! my friends and i got this for a friends birthday. we had a buy one get one free coupon so we got her two. we got her the one for dark blondes and and the other for light browns. we did do a strand test and she seemed to like the colors so we continued. her hair isn't that long (only a bit longer than shoulder length)but we found it extremely hard to spread the colour evenly down the strands. when it got washed out it looked HORRIBLE. the copper colour was practically non-existent and the blonde was BRIGHT YELLOW at the roots and gently faded away towards the bottom. save yourself the money and just get it done at a salon!