July 29, 2014 | 1903 users online

Primer/ Corrector - I-Iman - Matte Spray

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2004 1:08:00 PM More reviews by rthusia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I hoped this product would work well for me. It wasn't horrible, I guess I just don't like to spray things on my face after I have put my makeup on. Spraying before didn't seem to offer such great results.
My biggest gripe about the product was the container, such a miniscule amount of product in such a large container, they could make it much smaller so that it could attach to your keys or fit in your purse with more ease (Similar to a small perfume spray.)
I tried spritzing this in the parking lot directly after I purchased it. Upon opening it, I thought I had received a dirty used item or something. It was very cloudy and looked to be about half full. I took it back into the store, and the Sa's at Sephora were very nice and exchanged it for another. The next one looked much more clear, but was still a very tiny amount of product, still only looked like half was there.
Packaging is always very important to me, I like to be offered an "honest" product. I don't want to pay for tons of extra plastic if there is just a teeny amount there. As I said before I would much rather purchase this in a smaller carry container, that would seem well worth it to me!
Nice ingredients, in a useful gel formula, they just need to work on their presentation a bit. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2004 9:40:00 PM More reviews by lingonberry

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I ordered this from Sephora after reading all the fave reviews. I have super oily but blemish-free skin and constantly looking for the magic potion, besides the Clean&Clear oil absorbing sheets. I can't say this product does much for me at all.
When I received it, it had been in a hot UPS truck (90+ Louisiana summer days!) for two days and the product had separated into two clear layers. At first I thought the bottle was empty, and all the liquid had leaked out in transit. After I shook the bottle, the ingredients mixed into one cloudy mass. At first the product that came out was almost solid, but now (1/3 bottle is gone) the spray feels like water and does not control my oil production any better than pure water does. So I don't know if the chemicals got "cooked" by the heat or if this product is just the way it is. In any case-Yet another worthless product to throw into my oil "control" bag of discarded tubes, bottles and jars...UPDATE: When I got to the bottom of the bottle, the solid stuff that I scraped out worked really well to control the greasies. Obviously, this product needs to be shaked VERY vigurously prior to every use to mix the ingredients properly.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2004 10:17:00 AM More reviews by mrsspell

I tried this on a whim. It did keep me oil and shine free for about 3 hours (which is good because I'm super oily). Since then I have started using it under my powder foundation and using MAC Blot on top. Using it that way keeps me oil free all day ( about 8 hours).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2004 4:11:00 PM More reviews by prophette

I am impressed with this so far. In the summer, my skin goes from oily to super-oily so I have to switch from wearing loose powder mineral foundation to an oil-control liquid foundation. I used to use Philosophy's The Present under my makeup, but it just hasn't been helping as much as it once did. I have major shine in less than 2 hours with the mineral makeup and about 4-5 hours with the liquid. I had seen this listed at Sephora but hadn't bought it because I didn't expect it to work. As others have said, it was Paula Begoun's review that made me decide to go ahead and order it. And I'm glad I did because it really does help. It doesn't totally eliminate shine, but it greatly extends the amount of time needed in between blotting sessions. With my mineral makeup on, I can now go for 4-5 hours before needing to blot. Very cool. Time will tell if I have the same problem with the sprayer as others have noted.

Ingredients: Water, carbomer, butylene glycol, xylitol, sodium magnesium silicate, triethanolamine, sodium hyaluronate, aloe vera extract, tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM hydantoin, methylparaben, proplyparaben.

Update: Yes, the pump sucks. After a couple of uses, I had to scoop it out of the bottle and use it that way. Still works great, though. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2004 2:51:00 PM More reviews by CaliBello

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was using this under my foundation and it did help with oil, but not as well as MAC Blot helps over my make-up. The combination of the two works really well.

It felt nice and cool going on my skin and did not affect the application of foundation.

The packaging is horrible I was never able to use it as a spray, I would have to twist off the tube and bang it against my hand to get the gel out.

The bottle only lasted me a month, with daily use, so it's way too expensive at $27.

I wish I could choose "maybe"...as far as re-purchasing. I would buy it again to use for special occasions when I need to be matte for many hours. But it is too expensive and not good enough to keep re-purchasing for daily use.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2004 6:38:00 PM More reviews by MakeABook

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is why I love this site:I'd have never heard of this product otherwise. This is a clear gel spray that you spritz on your face and pat in before or after makeup. I'm a good test for oil-control products because my skin is extremely oily and I was impressed: it makes a significant impact without being drying at all. Felt light and refreshing with no residue that I could see or feel, and the mist helped to make my eyeshadow last, too. (I'd pretty much given up on eyeshadow because even the good ones crease so quickly on my eyelids.)

I was ready to plunk down 100+ dollars on LaMer oil control lotion, so I'm incredibly pleased to have found this effective product for $27. For those with acne-prone skin, I haven't had any pore clogging. (Many matte primers are silicone-based and do a great job of controlling oil, but I'd also notice they clogged my pores, so I couldn't use them on a regular basis.) This seems to be a great alternative and exactly what I've been looking for! As an added bonus, packaging is nice: the spray is a handy way to apply it, and the clear "crystal" bottle is attractive enough to pass for cologne on the counter. I'll definitely repurchase this.
***UPDATE: The spray idea needs to be improved: as the product level goes down it stops working and sprays unevely or not at all. I unscrew the thing and dab it on with my fingers, but I've taken off 1 lippie for bad packaging.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2003 5:13:00 PM More reviews by jijigirl

I tried this product after reading about it in the book, "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me." I am oily, and have trouble keeping my makeup fresh after a couple of hours. I ordered this from Sephora, and am really pleased. It truly helps to control oil, and keeps my makeup looking fresh for hours longer. It it somewhat pricey (around $27), ohterwise I'd rate it a 5. I use it over my foundation (Almay Amazing Lasting) and am really impressed. This is a very unique and worthwhile product, and intend to re-purchase.