January 27, 2015 | 1156 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Facial Cleansing Bar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2015 8:51:00 AM More reviews by brideie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like to think of this cleansing bar as the skin cleansing equivalent of clarifying shampoo. Suds up and it will remove all dirt, makeup and oils. It means business and rinses clean. Like a clarifying shampoo, it is best not to overuse strong cleaners. I find that unless I remove all traces of eye makeup at the end of the day, my chronic blepharitis flares up and my eyelids will become red and itchy. The Neutorgena cleansing bar has done a remarkable job keeping that area clean when I wash off all makeup at the end of the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2015 1:34:00 AM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used a bar of this back when I was a teenager with acne, lured in by the Neutrogena commercials. Now I know a lot better, and this product was completely wrong for my skin type. At the time, I thought I had oily skin but I was wrong as it's more dehydrated-normal.

It left my skin feeling squeaky clean and tight. I thought this was a good thing because if there wasn't any oil that meant I couldn't get any more pimples. It didn't work. I've realized that Neutrogena's bar was stripping my skin entirely of oil was causing it to overproduce to compensate, increasing the amount of acne but also leaving my skin flaky. Since then, I've switched to a more gentle and less drying cleanser and have seen my skin improve and clear up significantly.

Unfortunately this was nowhere near as gentle on my skin as Neutrogena claims and left it feeling tight. It might work well for more truly oily skin types.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2014 8:57:00 PM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The average facial cleansing bar, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are in need of emergency face wash and this is all you can find. I'd recommend the liquid version of this cleanser over this bar every time.

Pros: Inexpensive, cleanses decently and can be packed while flying in carry-ons. It seems to be half as effective as the liquid version but may be good for people with sensitive skin.

Cons: Bar feels unhygienic and doesn't lather well after several uses. The smell is a bit different and I feel it dries my skin out a bit, but I keep my skin well moisturized so this isn't an issue for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2014 7:59:00 PM More reviews by innerutopia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At first, this stuff dried my skin and broke me out like crazy, but after some time my skin has adjusted to the formula. It gives my face that fresh, squeaky-clean feeling and reduces the appearance of blackheads on my nose. When followed up with a hydrating toner and moisturizer, dry skin has not been an issue! I paid $7 for a pack of 3 bars, and considering how long each bar lasts, you just can't beat that price.

My problems with the product: it foams up more than a typical concealer (which probably contributes to the drying effect), smells unpleasant, and is difficult to pack and transport unless you buy a soap bar container. As someone who goes back and forth between homes throughout the year, I want products that are easy to carry around, and a soap bar just doesn't do that.

Though it's not the best cleanser I've used, I would happily buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2014 5:10:00 PM More reviews by jgoz17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product was horrible for me. It dried my skin out to the point that it took two weeks to recover from the peeling. I should have tossed this the first time I tried it. It literally dried my skin out instantly, to the point where it was hard to move. If this dries your skin out, and you're using a moisturizer to compensate for the dryness, that is so bad. why would you strip your natural oils, and add moisture back on? Over time, that will damage your skin. I only gave it one lippie because it did not break me out, my skin remained clear. I rather have one or two pimples than skin that is tight and dry. This may be good for someone with normal skin, but if you are like me, who has tight, dehydrated skin from using so many different products...stop using this, your skin will become drier. I say use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. My skin is healing from using that alone once a day or every few days. I find that my skin isn't dry or too oily. It feels comfortable.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2014 4:35:00 PM More reviews by grungology

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a horrible product! It's incredibly drying, makes my skin all weird and tight. I have oily, acne-prone skin and this dried my oily skin up, I have no idea how much worse it would be on dry skin. The biggest problem I had with this was the SMELL. It smells strongly of metal and other things that I can't describe because I've never smelt anything like it. It smells so horrible that it's distracting and I have to quickly wash it off.

Pros:
-Really cheap(approximately $3)
-Soaps up easily, becomes very foamy
-Doesn't leave any kind of film or oily residue on the skin
-Can be used on the body and on the face(multipurpose product)

Cons:
-The horrible smell
-Dries out oily skin
-Broke me out
-The bar packaging is not travel friendly
-Leaves skin feeling tight

Overall, this product did not work for me at all and I will not be repurchasing this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2014 12:32:00 PM More reviews by RM83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this bar. I saw dr oz had recommended glycerin soap for oily skin. This bar cleans my skin and removes access oil. It is slightly drying, but my skin tends to be oily so it wasn't bothersome I just moisturize after.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2014 3:46:00 AM More reviews by Mmmel

I love this stuff. I prefer the sensitive skin fragrance free first.

My first impression when I started using this a few years ago was that it left my skin feeling squeaky which scared me. But that just means it's doing it's job! I have used this for years and initially, it dramatically cleared up my horrible acne.

I highly recommend this paired with a topical medicine and nice moisturizer. I think the fact that it is so simple is what makes it such a great product. No fancy scents and colors and claims, just a basic cleanser that does it's job. It is great for oily skin! Might be a bit drying.

My only complaint that it is a bar. It is hard to travel with and store in the bathroom. So I just bought the orange oil-free acne cleanser that comes with the pump in hopes that it yields the same results as the beloved bar.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 10:24:00 AM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Very simple and lightweight, this is a very basic, gentle soap with no medication or acne fighting acids. It's non comedogenic, and helps cleanse the face without over drying it. I used it last night and my face didn't feel tight or patchy after using this like it does with many other face cleansing products. I woke up this morning with acne scars visibly reduced and a smoother face, but that could be due to the fact that facial skin regenerates itself during sleep, so I don't know. I really feel this is just a bar of glycerin, and paying over $6 per bar is expensive and totally not worth it. It could come with a simple soap holder for the bathtub to justify it's price, but it's packaging is simple carton too. I'm still deciding whether I like this product or not.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2014 11:43:00 PM More reviews by LilyLil

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this since I was 12 and I'm 36 now. I've tried many, many other cleansers and always come back to the classic Neutrogena bar. It's the only product that I feel thoroughly cleans my oily skin. I prefer the original scent but it is relatively hard to find so I will buy the fragrance-free if that's all that is available.