November 27, 2014 | 1407 users online

Foundations - Illuminare - Extra Coverage Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 8:57:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After reading such positive reviews on this product, I was really excited to try it!! However, it just didn't work with my skin. When I applied just enough to cover my acne/acne scars, it got SUPER oily throughout the day and literally slid off! When I applied less, it did a crappy job of providing coverage (and still appeared slightly greasy). Normally my skin isn't all that oily either. :( Another MAJOR negative, is I started breaking out more after using this...it was just way too heavy. I will continue my search to find a full coverage ( and "natural" looking) foundation.
****UPDATE: *****
If you are looking for a wonderful coverage foundation that won't make you greasy or cause breakouts, I recommend Gabriel Cosmetics-- Liquid Foundation and Dual Powder! My new favorites!!!

EDIT: 10/10/12: After trying Kat Von D's new Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, I am in love!!!! PHENOMENAL coverage without oxidation/greasiness. See my review on this for more details, if you're interested. Not super natural, but at least the formulation is without parabens, mineral oil, fragrance, etc. :)

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2009 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I used the fantastic formula as my foundation, but for the stubborn melasma, the extra coverage in Florentine Fair works great for my NC35 skin; as for the melasma, it has .... to my estimation, NC 55. It doesn't coverage completely, just make it less noticeable, which I am quite content with. To completely camouflage it will look too artificial. This concealer does not cake, change colour & did not turn orangy. I topped it with some powder for extra wear. This is a very expensive product consider the 0.5 oz tube (or shall I call it tubelette). Heck, it works so well, I am willing to fork out the money. Up to now, Cle de Peau was my favourite concealer until I discovered this formula. Curse those melasma !!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 7:27:00 PM More reviews by lipz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This took me several times to really love this product. Now I think it's all I'll ever wear. My face does not react to this at all...no breakouts! I'm using the second lightest shade and it seems to be a good match. My application method is basically how they advertise to apply it on their website. I do go over a few spots for extra concealing. I top this off with Aveda's loose powder and sometimes a touch of bronzer. I do find that I get a tad "dewy" looking throughout the day and usually just blot it away. I'm actually liking the dewy look as its not oily or greasy and this foundation feels like nothing on my skin, even after hours of wear...which by the way, it wears very well for many hours. I don't get the dehydrated feel/look as with powder mineral makeup. This is truely great stuff! If at first you don't like it, try it with different moisturizers/application methods and just play around with it, you may change your mind like I did!
EDIT 5-31-09 ~ HG foundation! I'm loving it...may try a powder foundation for days I just want to swipe something on quickly, but this is my everday work/evening/going out foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I discovered this about 4 years ago and I used to squeeze a bit of it into my concealer to pep it up a bit, nothing covers like it and just a little makes a big difference.
I read the reviews here and ordered the samples and I am in love again. After wearing this the whole day my skin feels very good and my pores don't feel blocked as it does with all other foundations. I like the fact it's a creme and not a powder, I mix the Porcelain shade with a bit of mineral makeup powder in a dark yellow color to get the perfect shade for me , it's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it for the beautiful look that lasts, the sun protection and the fact that I am not clogging my pores. I think Illuminare is the best foundation around.

I have to update on this foundation because although My skin has improved since I used this, it does require touch ups and makes my skin oily. Sometimes I even end up sleeping in it and it still doesn't clog pores which is a plus

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2008 4:22:00 PM More reviews by digxmexnow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

((Before and After shot in my pictures))

I have oily, acne-prone skin and have been looking for a foundation that has good, natural-looking coverage that stands up to oil.

This foundation is near-perfect.

It is thick, but easy to blend without looking painted on. It is very good at neutralizing redness, It has built-in moisturizer. It's SPF 21. It hasn't broken me out.

My favorite thing is that it stands up to oil very well - you can go all day without getting shiny or the makeup clumping in problem areas.

My only complaint is that it isn't too good at concealing drier acne on my fair skin. It is very difficult to find a concealer or foundation for fair skin that completely covers spots. The paint on the packaging also tends to chip off and get all over you when the tube begins to get used up.

Overall, this is a marvelous make-up for people who don't have severely problematic skin. It is definitely the best mineral make up out there right now as far as coverage and staying power.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2008 1:42:00 PM More reviews by mtonn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I cannot believe that I have not reviewed this product before. For someone who struggles with rosacea, this product has been a godsend. Not only does it cover the red without looking like a horror mask, the mineral part is actually good for one's skin. And because it is a liquid mineral rather than dry, it does not dry out the skin as much and also provides good SVU protection. I have used it for five or six years now, and my skin looks fabulous most of the time. Indeed, when I am talking to other women who tell me they have rosacea, and I tell them I do as well, they are shocked. I have passed this make-up on to loads of women. It takes a while to learn how to use it. Use sparingly, meaning start with a half a pea-size and then add if needed. The applicator pad they sell makes application a snap. I use the extra coverage formula as the fantastic finish is too dewey and transfers badly. The Ultimate All-Day coverage is SO dry, it breaks me out, although I have mixed it with this on occasion. The company has inexpensive trial sizes, which is nice, and also has a line of blushes and eye shadows. The shades are limited, so one may need to purchase more than one shade and blend, but it is simple to do. For a slightly different look, I have mixed it with some other type of foundation (which I rarely use as it breaks me out after a few hours) to get a more sheer look. I like the colors as they are not the pinky ones that many foundations have. It is really a HG makeup for us rosacea sufferers! Thanks, Illiminare!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by devondisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE THIS! It covers everything perfectly and lasts all day. It even looks natural.
I didn't like the packaging at first, but the tube is nice. It allows me to get just the right amount of product.
I don't mind paying the somewhat high amount for it because just a little is all I need. It lasts a long time.
I will never be wtihout this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2007 8:55:00 PM More reviews by ohboy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Blending this takes some practice( a little goes a long way and it dries fast) so I have to take time to be careful with application. Not easy when I'm rushing in the morning. Good coverage. No breakouts to report and my face isn't greasy at the end of the day. Still a bit too dark for me and the lighter shade I'm afraid will be too light. I don't want to take the time to blend a product that's tricky to apply. UPDATE: went to lighter shade Florentine Fair with better results. I apply it with fingers or foundation brush then smooth out look by quickly using Laura Mercier's powder puff over my entire face. I'm tempted to get Illuminares foundation pad. I'm liking this foundation and the fantastic finish one better after learning to apply them and after obtaining the right shade. Imagine that concept.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2007 2:03:00 PM More reviews by iloveblush

I started looking for powder MMU and could never find a good color match. I came across this on MUA and got the sample sizes. I'm definately going to purchase the full sizes. I love that this is a mineral liquid foundation with decent staying power (nothing lasts all day on me but this lasts a good, long time). I'm NC35 in Mac, and I find Florentine Fair fine for spot concealing but WAY too light if applied all over my face, so I combine 3/4 Florentine Fair with 1/4 Sienna Sun. Also, as everyone has said, use a tiny amount. The directions say a pea sized amount but I usually use 1/2 of that as too much can look maskey. A little bit gives a really nice finish and doesn't exaggerate my pores at all. For those looking for a liquid mineral foundation, I would definately suggest givning this a shot!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2007 1:43:00 AM More reviews by loststar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I have been using this foundation for more than a year and I love it! It does a great job covering up redness from acne and dark circles. It may seem a bit spendy, but it's really not because it lasts a quite a long time. Just a little dab will do ya. I use the Fast Application Pad that Illuminare sells to apply and it blends perfectly. Also, because it is a liquid mineral foundation, it doesn't break me out.