April 17, 2014 | 1671 users online

Fragrance - Caron - Pour un Homme de Caron

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I asked the fragrance board what their favorite lavender scents were and they loved this one so I picked up a bottle. On ebay I was able to get a 4.2 oz bottle for about 30 bucks which I didn't think was bad and I just love it! A previous reviewer compared this to lavender bread which I think describes it very well. It has a sweet dough like quality and it's just divine! I can't believe that this is marketed to men for I don't think it smells like something a man would wear. I always picture men's scents as leather and spice but this is neither. I love it and if you love lavender and vanilla, you will too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by jacona

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although Pour Une Homme is marketed towards men, there is no reason any woman looking for a lavender scent should not try this one. It's unisex in my book - a blend of lavender, amber and vanilla. Normally I shy from lavender because I find it so harsh, but the amber and vanilla soften it up nicely and on my skin it is sweet. A bit too sweet on my skin, but I would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a lavender scent.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2010 10:08:00 AM More reviews by ROBERTO1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My Grand grand parents, my grand parents, my father, uncles, all used to wear it. POUR UN HOMME DE CARON is a another of my must have...A perfume of several generations, of my generation. I love it....waht can we say about this perfume ? Simply the best!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2010 3:22:00 AM More reviews by Meg2005

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love fresh lavender in real life, and have often planted it in huge ceramic pots, enjoying the season of its flowering. I equally like preparing scented sachets of dried lavender blossoms, excellent for armoires or chest drawers, and of course nothing will ever be quite like the bracing, wholesome effect of top-quality French lavender essential oil, either diluted with water in a brūle-parfum or used directly on skin, clothes, even pillow cases sometimes (pretty good remedy for migraines, I find).
However, lavender is a tricky note in perfumes because of the cold, sharp, antiseptic vibe it acquires in most lavender-based fragrances I have ever tried - invariably reminding me of a dentist's reception room - as you will have guessed, not the happiest of associations.
Pour Un Homme de Caron by contrast is one of the very few lavender fragrances I enjoy unreservedly. It's neither cool nor warm, just right; a marvel of beauty, perfect balance, exquisite proportions, understated elegance. Clean and bright to begin with, refreshing and decisive without ever seeming harsh, gently morphing into woodsy heart notes, finally drying down on a soft, almost powdery vanilla base... miraculously energizing as well comforting, every step of the way.
I could fall in love with the man who wore it, and just to be on the safe side, did in fact buy it for my one-and-only, fully intending to send it to him overseas. Sadly however this never materialized, as I sent him my Climat instead, rather hoping that it would remind him of me. Whenever the Atlantic Ocean which seperates us proves too much to bear, I reach for *his* perfume (the one that, alas, he does not even get a chance to use), spritz a couple of times, shed a few tears, and consider myself hugged. It may not be an unmixed blessing, but remains for me nevertheless the closest thing to the scent of pure happiness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2009 3:21:00 PM More reviews by Mac789

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Unfortunate bottle and gender assignment aside, Pour un Homme is a five-star lavender fragrance. Opening with a very animated, very "green" lavender, Pour un Homme seems as if it is...pour un homme. Unlike my other lavender faves Gris Clair and Encens et Lavande, if there is something underlying the lavender (smoke, singed wood, tonka bean), it isn't initially apparent. Pour un Homme seems at first spritz like a big-ticket lavender.

Five minutes later, something strange and wondrous begins to happen: something that smells almost minty appears, as does a chic touch of camphor that is probably nothing more than the assertive lavender pitching itself into the Oriental base.

That base, composed of ultra-smooth vanilla, amber, and musk is perfect counterpart to the strongly aromatic lavender. Pour un Homme is a yin-yang fragrance, one whose top is male and whose base is female, and if we can use this as one definition of "unisex" than we should do so (or the reverse). The duality of nature is in perfect balance, because of the lack of seaming between the two components. At first, the sweeter, semi-gourmand base seems merely to warm the lavender, but half an hour later it's mostly base with what can only be called a shimmer of lavender hovering ever so subtly above. In this phase, lavender seems to rise off the base, which is more firmly affixed to the skin (and skin chemistry), and gives an idea of the porousness of the base.

Smoke is a big component in the Lutens lavenders (as is a bit of friction in Encens et Lavande), but it is not in the Caron. Pour un Homme is creamy and plush and inviting where the Lutenses are dry and sharp and crepuscular.

One might define the top, as could be expected, as "bracing," in the way traditional lavender fragrances are bracing. I appreciate that Lutens has made lavender hip, taking it away from a traditional role, but it is in the Caron that one can wear lavender without smelling as if one had been dabbling in creative whimsy or in grandfather's medicine chest. Pour un Homme might even be too sweet for certain men, even if the base comes close to a food/sex connection. The vanilla is a bit flat; this is not an issue for me and in any event plays secondary role to the amber.

I also have a nice sample of the alcohol-free "pour le peau" variation. The lavender is much less pronounced and the vanilla/musk is more apparent. I have read on a blog that there are bath oil beads (bath oil beads for men--how wonderful!) available that may be broken open to wear as parfum, and I think I will have to buy some of these in the near future.

Pour un Homme is something I would recommend to those looking to explore lavender as a fragrance note, as a jumping-off point. It's an ideal introduction to lavender and to how wonderfully lavender can combine with other notes.

continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2008 9:52:00 PM More reviews by vdn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Pleasant lavender. Interesting choice on a very masculine man like the rugby player Sebastien Chabal - The Cave Man - perhaps heightens masculinity?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2008 8:03:00 PM More reviews by essija

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is Sexy, I would be all over a man in this..Ohh I like it, its soft for a mans cologne. Sexy to me. I prefer these scents for men.. ohh la la... I love tonka bean and vanilla. the more I sniff it the more I like it...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2008 7:57:00 PM More reviews by essija

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2008 11:56:00 PM More reviews by mametsuki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this men's scent because I know this is what they use in scent defusers at the Plaza Athenee in Paris. On all the floors are these lovely machines that emit this lovely scent. Lavender mixed with a rich vanilla. You could faint from the loveliness of it all. And much to my happiness, this fragrance translate beautiful to the body. It's a joy to wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2008 1:20:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

An amazing swapper sent me a bag full of lavender scent decants and vials, and this was among them, at first seeing 'pour homme' i thought -for a man, i wont like it -- but i was looking for something new adn diffrerent and decided to give it a try - LOVE it! it does have lavender as the primary note, which i love, but there is also some warm vanilla and some soapy clean scents too, all in all i adore this and may consider purchasing this (or asking santa for it for xmas!) if you like warm comfortable fragrances that are subtle and clean, this is one you should try out for sure.