December 19, 2014 | 1736 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Sumo Tech

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Bclancy

I often get excited over a new product and think it's the bees knees, only to have that feeling wear off with time; so I purposely waited a few months to review this product. And I must say, there is a reason why it is an MUA top rated styling product. This has won a place of honor in my (extensive) collection of hair products; it is one of my favorite styling products of all time. Many of the other reviews seem to be from people with short hair. It's great for my long hair as well. I use it to create a tousled loose wavy look. I apply a curl or texture cream(current fav is Tigi Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock cream) and either let my hair air dry overnight in a bun or use a diffuser. Then I divide into sections, finger comb each section(a comb or brush will make hair "poofy" and destroy the texture and separation of my waves) and apply Sumotech, focusing on the ends of my hair. Because this is a thick, solid paste/wax, I find the best way to ensure product is evenly applied is to do it slowly, section by section. As other reviewers have said, it really helps to apply a blow dryer on a hot setting to the jar to melt the product a bit. I also like to emulsify a drop of hair serum on my finger tips before scooping up product. This gives the product a little more slip and makes it easier to spread evenly through my long hair. After I apply the product to each section I wrap it around a 1 inch clipless curling wand and then tousle gently with my fingers. Sumotech never leaves my hair crunchy, sticky or gummy, in fact, after it sets I can't even tell there is product in my hair. It doesn't weigh my hair down like some other pastes I have used. The hold is incredible, especially considering how completely undetectable the product feels in my hair. Yesterday for example, I moved all my stuff across town into a new apartment. It was 7-8 hours of sweaty, dusty, grimy work. I had styled my hair as described above just using Sumotech as a product. By the end of the day my clothes were filthy, I needed a shower badly -but my hair still looked FLAWLESS. I mean this stuff is magic. My hair doesn't like to hold curl, but this stuff holds it in place better than any hairspray I've ever used... And yet it makes my hair less crunchy, less product-ey than any hairspray I've used. And I've used some good ones. Time and time again, Sumotech has held up under sweat, humidity, etc. it is also literally the only thing I've found that can tame my boyfriend's stubborn cowlick on the back of his head. I think this is kind of a "learning curve" product; it took me several uses to figure out the best method of application and amount to use for my hair. Once you do that, I think you'll love the results.

Edit 4/9/- since I'm still settling into my new apartment, I have not had a chance to wash my hair in 4 days, and haven't made any concerted effort to style w/ a curling or flat iron since day before yesterday. Well this morning I had a medical appointment at 7:30 a.m. I overslept, so I literally rolled out of bed and went in there -without even running a brush through my hair. You can tell my hair is messy, but it actually looks intentionally so. My ends have a sexy textured look. I actually was complimented on my "cute bed head look" by the receptionist! I credit Sumotech. My ends look so textured she asked if I had a textured shag haircut(which I don't; it's just basic layers). The fact that my hair doesn't look like hell, as it normally would after all this time, is great. I think this product really has remarkable hold and endurance. This is the HG for me <3

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Arrosynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So, I got this for me originally to help add texture and edginess to my hair cut, but my boyfriend stole it from me. He absolutely loves this stuff. The price on it is way too high in my opinion, but all B&B products are overpriced. However this stuff does last quite a while so I suppose it's justifiable. Anyway, my man isn't really into using product in his hair but since he's decided to grow out the top of it, he likes having something with no shine to throw in there just to get some texture and a tiny bit of control. Good job B&B, you've impressed someone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Where has this been since my hair's been short? For those of you who mourn ARTec Textureline Material, this is the closest thing I've found to it. It really is a genius fusion of wax, paste, and cream--it's not as difficult to emulsify or get into the hair as a wax, not as greasy as a paste, and not as limp as a cream, just a great combo product. It gives my short in the back/longer on the top and sides style (the one featured on Jessica Stam in the Sept, 2013 Allure) hold, separation, and a bit of shine without it looking or being weighed down. It tames frizz, too. And it's so easy to emulsify it and really work it into the hair. Since my hair is very thick, I can use quite a bit without it looking greasy or flaky, and I've been using it on dry hair after using Texture for the blowout. It's a great duo for my style. There is a scent--semi-medicinal/herbal, like a lot of B&B products, but it dissipates quickly--I can't smell it at all once applied. Yes, it's pricey, but it'll last forever. I'm about to throw all the other styling products I have away--this is the one I've been looking for. Grail.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2012 12:22:00 PM More reviews by cgack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Caveat on this product, don't use so much that it feels like plaster on your hair...a little goes a long way. I remember when I was wearing my hair in a more natural curly style, I would use this product to keep the frizz down and it worked! Also, don't let this product get too cold (or likely too hot), it will ruin the consistency and you'll never get it back.

Good also for smoothing stray hairs...but be careful how much you use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2011 7:40:00 AM More reviews by ceen

Preferred to Sumo Wax since more versatile, as a result of being lighter and less oily. Buildable, yet easily washed out, and leaves no noticeable residue between washes. Expensive, yes, but lasts for months.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2010 5:03:00 PM More reviews by watergirl78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is okay. I have fine, thick, wavy hair in a pixie cut so I need something substantial to texturize my hair when I style it because I like it to look piecey. I think Sumo Tech does the job alright, but I found I disliked the scent, which is kind of pungent/masculine and on the strong side. I wished that it added some more moisture to my hair, which tends to be a bit dry, and provided more lift. I tried layering it with Bb grooming creme but wasn't impressed. I have found other products that do the same job, cost less for much more product, and smell better. I won't be repurchasing this.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by carlyann23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am consistently impressed with Bb products. I see a difference when I use products together rather than just using one at a time. I wash using my shampoo du jour (currently Biolage color care until it runs out, then back to Bb) and condition with Bb Super Rich. I spray Prep all over my towel dried hair and comb it out. Then I use Bb Styling Lotion and spray all over before blowdrying. I usually do this at night, and when I wake up in the morning I rub Sumotech between my fingers and quickly run my fingers through my hair...kind of pulling on the sections that I want to look piecy. It keeps my side bangs in place without making them greasy. I just do that and I'm good to go. The best part is that I can go another 2 days without washing my hair. I have NEVER been able to do that using a similar product. My length just reaches my shoulders and I highlight every 8-10 weeks. I previously had very dry ends, but not washing every day has changed that immensely. I'm afraid my husband will discover this little jar on my side of the counter and he'll steal it! Love Bb!!!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 3:27:00 AM More reviews by sbbbjm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

here's the lowdown -- sumotech is a wonder product in a jar. for my male, thick, coarse, asian hair i put in about dimes worth while its damp and run it through my hair, push my hair into place, and when it air dries it's matte finished, de-puffyfied and looks natural and feels touchable. if i want to slick it back and go for a more vintage look i'll use a bit more product while its damp and slick it into place. if i want to wear it more naturally but want a little more separation and definition, i'll blow dry it into place then take some emulsified sumotech and rub it on the ends of my hair. for ze LADIES, after i've done any kind of curl set or just sets in general, i well take a small amount and just rub it into my palms, have my ladies flip their hair down, and push it into the ends of their hair to, again, creat more definition in layered/pieced out long cuts. bottom line is, this product is so versatile - from short to long to edgy to conservative - once you find the right amount to use for ur style, when you should apply it, and how/how not to treat it ---- its a wonder product in a jar!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2009 11:37:00 PM More reviews by marildu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. It's great for keeping the stray hairs down and giving an overall polished hair-do. It smells wonderful too!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 1:23:00 PM More reviews by cherrystarr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I recently cut my hair short, and while getting ready at one of my guy friends houses, decided to try using some of this for texture. I Immediately fell in love! It doesn't weigh down your hair, and you can restyle as necessary. I started with a little, which would be great for a day time, but love to totally texture my hair to the max when I'm going out or even for pictures. This stuff even looks amazing on long hair, just work some onto the bottom 2/3 of the hair and voila, gorgeous texture and definition! Love the versatility.