November 26, 2014 | 1831 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash mascara in brown/black

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I gave my review of this mascara under another post of the product. I won't restate that review but will say this: For me this mascara does what it advertises to do and I like both the shades and brush. I like getting close to the lash base which is easy to do with GL. I find it wet but I never like any mascara until about a week or so in when it thickens a bit, this is no different in that respect. Some complain of their dismay but how can this little engine that could of a mascaca ever be all they expect given this is an editors pick of most beauty and fashion magazines? Collectively that adds up and some expect this to wash their car, drive their kids to school and act like the queen herself has died when its just, gulp, a mascara?! Editors likely choose this old school product because it holds up literally and figureatively when many other products created in the same era, do not. You may not love the formulation for you, but if I asked you, to choose and actually wear a mascara formulated in the 1970's or a foundation, quick you must choose one, which would you choose? I'd choose a pink tube of mascara over a pink face any day. So what's it got going other than longevity? It provides a basic mascara and that's all some want and need. I can't keep up with what's the newest, latest of others, and if they're so great, why does it get reformulated within 6 mos and THAT'S the new BEST thing?! For a basic mascara that darkens and somewhat thickens lashes, this is a good product. Keep in mind your mascara expectations when buying this. In the past women didn't have a zillion mascara options, so if they wanted thicker lashes? They just let it dry between coats and simply applied until achieving the desired effect. Longer lashes? apply like above but concentrate on tips and lifting up and out, repeat as needed. Want a natural look? Want lower lashes defined too, wipe most of the product off the brush and apply. Technique was the difference. Don't get me wrong I love new technology and trying new things but I admired my mothers lashes when I was a kid and she used this too. I get the same effect and there are so few things that can be said of. I wish it still came in the rounded tube lol.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2012 5:08:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this product, and my secret is making my own curved brush. It can be done even though the brush is small, and I find the product applies perfectly. It's easily washed off and is just a simple basic mascara. You can make it as natural or dramatic as you want depending on how many coats you use. I know you can buy one with a curved brush but it is a bigger brush and that's not what I want. I like the original smallish brush bent into a curve. It works beautifully and is much easier to apply. I like the original kind in either brownish black or black. I save the wands from previous GL tubes and wash them, so when I get a new tube of Great Lash I just put my own hand curved brush in that's ready to go and that's it. Then I wash the new brush and put it away for next time. Prepping the brush beforehand is easier than working with a mascara covered one. Easy, inexpensive and every drugstore carries this mascara.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2012 12:17:00 PM More reviews by Brunettbabe

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I hated this product! I dont know how magazine love this but it didnt leave and volume in my lashes, and it is very clumpy! I had a bad experiance with this masscara and i will never buy it again

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by staci13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

While I haven't tried every mascara on the market, I have certainly wasted a lot of money on various brands. I always come back to this one, the good old Maybelline Great Lash. Nothing coats my lashes, and separates my lashes like this mascara. I prefer the curved applicator brush, but I don't have any problem with the original brush or even the "lots of lashes" brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by ThinMinti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great everyday mascara! I think I know why a lot of people are griping about it though. This has a tiny wand and applicator which is great for people with smaller features. I know it sounds strange but the big wands that I find in ALL the new mascara are WAY to big for my eyes. I end up with makeup all over my lids and forget about trying to use them on your lower lashes! All you have to do is layer this mascara. It wont flake or smudge throughout the day either. This is truly a great mascara for the price and availability. Be sure it isn't out of date and I'm certain the stinging and irritation that some women claim to have will not occur. Overall I think this is a wonderful mascara and it makes my lashes full and long without breaking the bank.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2011 9:43:00 PM More reviews by hip2Bsquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Maybe it's me. Maybe I don't know how to put on mascara properly. Whenever I wear this, there are always at least a few clumps. However, I am inclined to say it is the brush, which does not have enough bristles to define the lashes and avoid clumps. It is a fine mascara, and the clumps are easily corrected, but it is not special. I am ready to move on.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 11:53:00 PM More reviews by bellarosa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I would never buy this mascara again. I used it on Monday morning and by that evening when i went to take it off, my eyes were burning! I ended up with a really bad allergic reaction to this mascara - the new formula in the pink and black packaging. Both my upper eyelids and lower area beneath my eyes swelled up and started to itch. I ended up having to get a prescription drug from my doctor for Patanol (eye drops) and Claritin. To top it off, this product didn't even do anything special to my lashes - no volume buildup or lengthening. Don't waste your money on this.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2011 1:15:00 PM More reviews by wgillesp92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love the price of this mascara, and if I wasn't such a mascara junkie I think it could be my go to product. My problem with it is that it burned my eyes. I don't have particularly sensitive eyes, and this doesn't happen very often, but when I switched from the original formula to the newest one (XL? Whatever the new, bigger brush formula is) it burned. If you are careful with the application you can definitely avoid clumping and smearing, but you have to be diligent, you can't just slap it on.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 12:16:00 PM More reviews by smileechild

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really did not like this product! Basically what it did was give my lashes the appearance of being wet, it split my lashes into 5 sections and made them droopy. Don't buy this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2011 12:07:00 PM More reviews by toughlover101

i love this product cause its not too big its not too flared this is what that mascara does other then that falsies mascara thing and i went to maybelline's website and its great lashes 40 birthday and thats like maybelline's favorite mascara and not only to them but it was the best mascara in the world and I REALLY LOVED IT i love all maybelline mascaras but mostly this one and i also got in in waterproof its so hard to get off you need like cleanser but i liked it any way MAYBELLINE FOREVER