Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune

3.2

on 8/2/2015 9:47:00 PM

I totally agree with Nero 77's review below. I love this fragrance. Very juicy literal grapefruit. I find spraying this results in too much silage, so I hacked into the bottle in order to dab it. Well priced, readily available, long lasting. It's not sweetened like some less expensive citrus fragrances, such as those from the Pacifica line. Years ago, I wore Annick Goutal Eau de Sud. Pamplelune is more full bodied, rich and complex.

I don't quite layer it, but I have been known to start a summer day with a dab on my neck; and then later add something different on my wrists, like a dab of L'artesan Tea for two.

It apparently is skin chemistry dependent ; some people get hints of sulphur etc. I should also note here that some citrus does turn oddly candied and a bit plastic on me. I don't wear goutal's Eau de Hadrian for that reason. Nero 77 also pointed out this contains cassis bud. I don't have any issues with that fragrance note (I adore Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie, but some people cannot wear it.

on 5/30/2015 2:07:00 PM

I have to sadly agree with those that think it has a hint of BO. I feel the same way. I used it for a week and then gave it away and I sure they never used it either. I find it next to impossible to find a perfume that actually has a pleasant grapefruit smell...as in the way it smells when you open a grapefruit.

on 10/1/2014 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The best grapefruit fragrance ever!

For once Luca Turin finally gets it right! When it comes to the smell of Grapefruit, Pamplelune is at the top of the league. This fragrance has the most authentic grapefruit note I have ever encountered. This isn't a shampoo or sweet candy type of grapefruit. This is the whole, ripe, juicy fruit itself... the bright, bitter skin, the ripe pink flesh, the tangy taste, the acidic, almost sulphur-like aroma. It's so raw and authentic, and so real... that I think this is what turns some people off when they smell it for the first time.

Pamplelune (the name is composed of the French words for grapefruit "pamplemousse" and moon "lune") opens up with an incredibly bright citric, tangy, acidic and authentic grapefruit note that is given body by some herbs and green notes (neroli, petitgrain, and cassis). It is the Cassis or blackcurrant leaf which gives this fragrance the impression of the "cat urine" note, and this could equally be a combination of this note with the acidic grapefruit and the patchouli in the base. Personally I don't get this impression, to me it's an incredibly authentic grapefruit aroma which lasts for the whole length of the fragrance.

Pamplelune eventually dries down to a warm, sweet, patchouli-vanilla combination... it makes such a soft landing and impression on your skin after a few hours. Bright, fresh, zesty grapefruit in the beginning, then changing to a warmer, sweet vanilla by the end.

Needless to say, I really love this fragrance. just spraying it in any weather gives me a boost (like vitamin c)! I guarantee that it will brighten up your day and make you feel so fresh, and the best thing is, it is so well made that this authentic grapefruit lasts all day, turning into vanilla by the end. Please, ignore the association with cat urine etc. Because if you have ever opened a real, fresh, juicy grapefruit, complete with the fresh tang of the pink fruit and the acid of the juice, this is almost exactly what it smells like to me.

Try it in summer, spring, and even in cold weather! It can cheer you up! This one makes me so happy, I sometimes even call it "sunshine in a bottle"!

on 5/11/2014 9:38:00 PM

Beautifully fresh and sharp, this is one of my all time favourite scents. It is essentially grapefruit, but not sickly or cheap smelling like, say, a Body Shop equivalent. This entire line of perfumes is bewilderingly underrated, but then I prefer not to have the same bottle of perfume as every other woman out there (e.g. Daisy by Marc Jacobs). It is fantastic value for money - a fancy-looking and robust bottle, a scent the lasts at least 2 hours (most scents seem to disappear about 30 minutes or is it just me?) and 75ml for £35 - Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Toilette costs £80 for 100ml (i.e. £60 for 75ml).

Test it on you first as some people claim it's sharpness reminds them of kitty litter (?!!)

on 3/23/2014 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

I do not usually gravitate toward the citrusy family of scents, but Pamplelune is too divine to pass up. It is a fizzy vibrant grapefruit balanced with bergamot. It definitely does not smell artificial or too acidic at all (can't grasp the cat pee that others are sensing). It is a sunny, grapefruit soda that wears beautifully throughout the day. It is a bit on the linear side, but I don't mind that because Pamplelune is that gorgeous. I almost get a vetiver note in the drydown, it is quite herbal and well-rounded. I have been wearing it this winter to brighten my spirits. Sometimes it actually makes me thirsty for a tasty cocktail...

on 10/22/2013 3:41:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Unusual scent which had a hint of B.O smell to it. I must admit that I still liked this fragrance. Received no compliments on it. Strange fragrance, a difficult one to explain - a mix between pink grapefruit and BO.

on 8/14/2013 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This starts out very 'grapefruity' which can also come off smelling somewhat like catpee but not quite. It is still very fruity in the opening and I find it rather quirky and enjoyable. After about 15 minutes it starts to soften and smells of flowers and fur, very soft and lovely. This is my favorite part of its progression however it only lasts about an hour. Then it becomes rose, pure rose on me and not a very good one, quite chemically and it picks up strength. This baby was still hummin' along at full rosey volume 6 hours later and I'm going to have to wash my clothes. I have some truly fabulous rose scents that don't deserve to be bumped out of rotation for this. I also have some truly lovely citrus scents (eau d'Hermes, Mito) that likewise should not be shunted aside for this. This is a mediocre fragrance that I can't actually call bad, but I'm glad I only used up customer loyalty points to buy this rather than pay the full $65C. Very, very, very pretty bottle though.

UPDATE: July 4, 2014 I don't know if it's the weather or my chemistry but I'm now totally in love with this. It's not pulling as much rose and is more citrus, rose, patchouli, vanilla and musk and it is gorgeous. I wish it came in extrait. I can't see me reaching for this in winter, but hot humid summer days for sure. If you want to bump up the funkiness it can be fun to add a small spritz of Byredo's Pulp, but it's crass compared to Pamplelune.

on 7/30/2013 5:59:00 PM

This is quite vile. Not sure what this is supposed to smell like, but turned sour cat pee on me too. Come on Guerlain, you can do better than this!

on 7/4/2013 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Opened with floral grapefruit perfection. Dried down to distinct note of cat pee. Seriously. Dried cat pee.
This is my all time favorite fragrance house;clearly they had a cat house in mind when developing this scent.
Atrocious.
RUN!

on 2/29/2012 8:57:00 AM

Fruity, fizzy, fresh, bright, refreshing and lovely!

( I do love civet. That is the best part of many vintage perfumes. Among the more modern fragrances, Pamplelune is finally something fruity and fresh I can enjoy from start to finish. Then again, I also like Kouros and Eau d'Hermès, so...)

Popular Fragrances