December 20, 2014 | 865 users online

Cleansers - Kanebo - Naive Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2014 4:44:00 PM More reviews by gandiko

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this product. I've borrowed high-end oil cleansers from friends when I stayed at their places, and frankly this plebe does not see a difference between the fancy $40 brands and cheap Japanese drug store products. Sue me.

No, this isn't an olive oil cleanser. Yes, this contains mineral oil. By all means do your research (go to a public library and use their network to access pubmed to read actual scientific trials and results) to decide for yourself whether you should use it on your skin or not. Don't go by what Cosmo readers leave on cosmetics sites. (To be fair, I wouldn't just go by what the FDA says either, no offence to reviewers.)

I don't have a problem with the mineral oil, especially since I'm washing it off my face anyway. I like that this product has VERY FEW INGREDIENTS - with skin as sensitive and reactive as mine, the simpler the better. I use this to take off my BB cream, powder and physical sunblock, and it does the job effectively. I don't use mascara/eyeliner often, but this does a decent job if you have patience. Like all commercial oils, this emusifies into a whitish lather once you've mixed it with water. I think it rinses off clean, but I always follow by using my Ponds Evening Calming wipes (purple package), and then rinse my face with water again. I haven't broken out from that.

Comparison with other oil cleansers I've tried:

-MAC Cleansing Oil: Used once - it smelled weird and this washed off the hardest out of all of them.
-DHC Deep Cleansing Oil: Thicker than Softymo and Kanebo, dried out my cheeks and the palms of my hands. That irritated my skin. WTH. >:|
-Kose Softymo Deep Cleansing Oil: Thicker than Kanebo but lighter than DHC. Has a scent to it but it doesn't irritate my skin. It's a bit more drying than Kanebo but not a huge dealbreaker. Usually retails for less, especially if you have a Mitsuwa handy.
-Kanebo Naive Cleansing Oil: Lightest of all oils, so it's quite runny (I didn't expect that when I first used it and the oil spilled from my palm), but it still lasts quite a while. I prefer Softymo's nozzle, but the cap in this lets you control how much product you use, so it's handy. Easier to rinse off than Softymo, no scent.

Hope that's useful to people x

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 3:24:00 AM More reviews by LopEared

This is my go-to cleansing oil. I can get it for around $10US at the local Japanese market and it's got the fewest ingredients that I could find so far for most cleansing oils I've seen so far. I've tried Shu Uemura and MAC, and I still like this more than those. I recommend it as a starting point if you're interested in trying cleansing oils because of the price.

Pros:
-relatively cheap
-gets makeup off (sometimes I have to let it sit for certain mascaras)
-smells nice (well, I like it anyway, hehe...)

Neutrals:
-leaves a film (handy when you live in dry areas, like NYC in the middle of winter, kind of annoying if you're somewhere humid)

Cons:
-deceiving about the olive oil part (aren't they all? lol). olive oil is pretty far down the list of ingredients. oops
-not easy to find

I have sensitive, acne-prone combo skin that leans a little on the dry/dehydrated side, and this has caused no problems for me. I don't know HOW, as it should, but it hasn't. I should note that in the winter I don't use another cleanser, and in the summer I use witch hazel afterwards due to humidity.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2014 2:13:00 AM More reviews by mimochi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim when I was visiting family in Japan. Most of my previous cleansing oil had leaked in my luggage, and I was going to try this one when I came home. I love it! Wish it didn't have mineral oil, which is probably why it was only about 500. I follow with my CeraVe foaming cleanser. Overall a great makeup remover, and I like that the tip slowly drips out oil. It looks like it'll flood out, but it doesn't.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2014 4:17:00 PM More reviews by EvilyKyoko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was recommended this product as a good oil-based makeup remover. Now, don't get me wrong. This product did exactly what it was supposed to do, which was remove all of my makeup. It didn't irritate my skin or eyes. The reason I DO NOT recommend this product is because it contains mineral oil. Mineral oil is bad for the skin. It is a big ingredient that's notorious for clogging the pores and causing breakouts because it prevents the skin from breathing.
My tip -- if you really have your heart set on this product, just use pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil in its place. It literally does the same thing just as effectively, and olive oil will not clog your pores and is much better for your skin. It's also way, way cheaper. Trust me, Olive oil makes a great makeup remover and works just the same way this product does.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by joongielover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had no idea this brand was added to MUA, I definitely would've written a review sooner.

This is THE BEST and ONLY way I remove my makeup - face makeup and waterproof mascara and eye makeup. This cleansing oil is highly effective and depending on how much mascara or foundation you have on, it could take very little to remove it all. It's one easy, quick step at the end of the day.

I bought this on my trip in Hong Kong back in 2010 and never looked back since then. I have used the Olive Oil version, and the Orange. I do think the Orange one can irritate the eyes, but the Olive Oil does not at all. I get this stuff into and onto my eyes, gentle and slowly rubbing the waterproof mascara off my lashes and it does not irritate or sting my eyes. I do have slightly sensitive eyes so I find the Olive Oil version to be much more superior than the Orange. The Orange smells of citrus and smells nicer (which the Olive Oil has no scent), but the Olive Oil is a safer choice, in my opinion.

I buy this off of SASA.com and it is shipped from Hong Kong, and they frequently have international free shipping so that's aweeeesome. Last time I bought from sasa, i got 3 backups and it'll be a looong time before I buy another couple backups. My skin is acne-prone, sensitive, and combination, and this doesn't give me any problems to my skin or eyes. I LOVE this stuff because not only is it cheap, it's effective and it's only ONE step in my makeup removal routine. No more cleansing wipes and eye makeup removers. I do and always will use a facial wash afterwards though. It is still an oil that needs to be removed as well. But this isn't a problem for me because it's what I did with makeup wipes as well. if you think using a cleansing oil and then a face wash is a two process method, then it doesn't sound as appealing to you. but to me, washing my face is a vital step, regardless of how I remove my makeup beforehand.

I swear by cleansing oils because it's just so easy. I have tried multiple brands and this is just as good as shu uemura, shiseido, etc., which are highly luxury brands. Please do not waste your money on high end cleansing oils, just get this amazing stuff that is just as good for a fraction of the price.

PROs:
- effective
- no irritation
- no break outs
- removes waterproof makeup (eyes and face)
- cheap (less than US$10 off sasa.com and it's probably cheaper if you buy it in-store)
- travel friendly packaging
- little to remove the makeup, so it'll last a long time

CONs:
- have to buy it online or overseas

RECOMMEND: HELL YES.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 3:16:00 PM More reviews by fychen

Before this, I have used lots of make-up removers: neutrogena, lancome, sonia kashuk, olay...etc. I was introduced to this by a Japanese friend. She swears by this product and I wanted to give it a shot too. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this! It is so easy to use, I just pour some product on my clean hand and rub all over my dry face. No need for cotton pads or Qtips. It takes away foundation, eye make-up, even water proof mascara (which I always find it really tough to take off with other products, especially because I want to be gentle around my eyes). I do use another face wash after this cleansing oil to make sure nothing (oil or makeup) is left behind. I really like this product. It is so much cheaper than MAC or any other oil cleanser and it is also a very well known Japanese brand. I will be purchasing this again and again!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2011 6:54:00 PM More reviews by beautyinme

I was looking for a simple cleansing oil to wash off my mineral makeup and after seeing so much raves about this product on youtube, I decided to purchase it at a local Japanese supermarket. It does melt away my mineral makeup, however, this product is just not suitable for my skin! Apparently this cleansing oil is made up of mineral oil and my skin reacted to it. It left a film behind and after using it 2-3 times, my pores were clogged, making me break out. I stopped using it, hoping that it was something else that made me break out. Two weeks later, I used it again and this time, it gave me little tiny red bumps on my nose along with the breakouts I got 2 weeks ago. I will never use or purchase this again. It's just sitting in my bathroom now. I think I'll just use it to clean my brushes since it does a good job of getting mineral makeup off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 10:59:00 PM More reviews by b3l0vEd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is now called the Kracie naive deep cleansing oil. With that said, I really really like it. I own both the olive oil one (green bottle like in the picture above) as well as the orange oil one (orange bottle). They both work the same for me, but when I bought it, the green one is $1 more than the orange one ($6). I was able to get this at a local Japanese shop. I have used the Shiseido perfect oil cleanser previously and really really loved that one, but I wanted to try something a little cheaper. The Kracies cleansing oil smells great, but I can detect a faint alcohol smell to it. I'm not sure if alcohol is part of the ingredients or not because I can't read the Japanese on the bottle. It works great at removing my waterproof and smudge proof makeup. What I do is, I squeeze out a dime size amount of product into my dry hands. (BTW, the packaging isn't great since it's a squeeze botte) And I apply that to my face and rub it into my face without any water. After I rub for about 30 seconds, I wet my hands and continue to rub my face and work the oil in to a emulsion. After I remove all of the makeup that way, I just simply rinse off with water. What I really like about this cleansing oil is that I don't get a greasy residue left after rinsing. It doesn't irritate or dry out my skin or breaks me out. I will repurchase, but I still want to try out more brands and see what else is out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2010 2:05:00 PM More reviews by NYAPPY

takes off all my makeup at the end of the day but does leave a "film like" residue afterwards, so I like to follow this up with a foam cleanser.
Even though I do prefer DHC over this, it does it's job for a fraction of the price (unfortunately it's still quite pricey in Australia ~$15AUD because they do jack up the prices of japanese cosmetics).
But I guess it's a keeper and works perfect as a brush cleaner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 8:44:00 PM More reviews by charlie_leone

it a ok oil cleanser. it doesn't foam up, but it takes off my makeup at the end of the day, it make my face very soft afterward. the only thing about this cleanser is contains mineral oil! i guess all oil cleanser contains mineral oil!!!!