La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser

3.6

Water,Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Carbomer, Ethylhexyloxyglycerin, Capryl Glycol.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I don't dislike the cleanser, because it hasn't ever stung or caused a reaction but it is not for me. My face after use doesnt feel tight or irritated after use but it leaves an irritating film that causes a delayed reaction. I have dehydrated skin, large pores and very reactive. I have mild rosacea and I didn't find this helped much. It seems good for dry skin with fine pores.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Breakouts galore and it made my eyes sting.

Thought this would be kind and gentle on my sensitive skin and I fancied a change of cleanser and it's relatively inexpensive, unfortunately like other reviewers it left a thin greasy, plasticky film on my palms and face, I had to use micellar water to remove this cleanser and remains of make up.
For the first time in years my skin is inflamed and spotty.
I've used Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser for 2 years with no problems, agree with Beautypedia that time, I'll stick to what I know and trust.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I actually bought this for my husband who has bad rosacea break-outs. I decided to give it a go myself before recommending it to him. I used this as a cleanser at night. I had to wet my face and then put a small amount on and rubbed it around. I used a mix of a washcloth and the running water from the sink to take the product off.

Overall - very pleased. Reminded me of Cetaphil with one stark difference - this stuff took off my eye makeup. This actually shocked me enough that I read the back of the bottle again. Sure, I had to do another quick swipe with some micellular water on a cotton pad to get the final bit, but it took it off - eye primer, mascara, and all. Usually I have the raccoon eyes going after the first cleanse, but not with this.

Hubby, who has rosacea, was happy with the cleanser, so I'm double pleased I found a product we both can use. Will buy again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This was my go-to cleanser for several years, for my very sensitive skin. I had tried dozens of cleansers. I bought many, collected free samples and tried friend's products and nothing worked for me, including often cited "mild" products like Cetaphil.

I note similar issues as other users. I needed to wet my skin, rub it in, then both rub and rinse it off. The in-store consiltant talked about just tissuing it off, and that would not work. It would bother me if not rinsed cleanly.

The price was much higher than I was used to paying for a cleanser. For a while, I was working the CVS 'buy $30 get $10' coupons and extra bucks to get deals a few times a year. I've since broken up with that store and moved on to a more "natural" cleansing oil (Josie Maran) after first wiping makeup off with lotions and oils.

I would suggest that if you have sensitive skin, this would be one to try. But I note many reviwers also had negative reactions. So do try to get a sample or buy where there's a return policy, as it seems like a 50/50 chance this works.

(Anyone with sensitive facial skin, I will also suggest--start with your shampoo. It took me over 30 years to figure out that the SLS in shampoo was destroying my facial skin.)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have this cleanser and it's such a pain to use. It's really greasy and leaves a film on your skin. Also when I left it on for more than 30 seconds my face had an allergic reaction to it, it got all red so I don't think I'm going to use it in the future. Maybe I'll just use it on my body in the shower but definitely not on my face. Anyways it's terrible quality for the price (around 15), actually it's terrible quality for any price. I only got it cause it got 4 stars on beautypedia and I honestly don't know how. It's just a greasy cream that in the best case scenario it does nothing to your face and in the worst case scenario it irritates your skin and even clogs your pores. I wish I'd read the reviews and seen the low rating it got on MakeUpAlley before buying it so I didn't have to waste so much money on it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My favorite! I'm on my third bottle of this, and I can't see myself switching to another cleanser.

For context, my skin is extremely dry and fairly acne-prone (though my acne is mostly hormonal and isn't triggered by products I use, for the most part). I've had a lot of problems with cleansers that are far too drying, even those that claimed to be good for sensitive skin. In fact, I just didn't wash my face for a long time (BAD, I know!) because I didn't like the feel of everything.

This cleanser is light and soothing. It's never irritated my skin. There is no fragrance and it doesn't foam, which may or may not be to your taste. I use it in the morning if I'm feeling particularly grimy and at night after oil cleansing with baby oil if I'm wearing makeup (or on its own if I'm not). I always follow with moisturizer and other products. I use maybe a nickel-sized amount, and a bottle lasts me a few months.

The negatives: The price is higher than I'd like to pay for a cleanser, it doesn't take off makeup well (not a con for me -- I prefer using baby oil for makeup removal), and I would prefer if it were packaged in a pump bottle (when it gets down to the bottom third, I have to work harder than I'd like to get the product out).

Other than that, all good! I would highly recommend, especially if you have sensitive or dry skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A few months ago, I had a horrible attack of inflammation triggered by irritants in a few of the products I was using (some idiot chemist actually included menthol in a Biore face cleanser), and I couldn't even use Cetaphil, which used to be my emergency go-to cleanser. Nope, even Cetaphil burned. Toleriane did not.

So I bought this and I was relieved that it was safe for extremely sensitive, intolerant skin. However, it doesn't remove makeup very well, so I had to use other products with it. I wish I had bought their other cleanser, Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cream instead. I have since tried that and it seems equally suited to sensitive skin but does a better job of cleaning. If I were a guy and didn't use foundation, powder, concealer, and mascara, I'd probably be satisfied with Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser. It has a similar texture to Cetaphil's signature gentle cleanser but Toleriane is superior. (By the way, Cetaphil didn't remove makeup well either.)

Retail is around 24 USD but you can find it for $15 on Amazon. I keep mine in the shower now and only use it in the morning when I am bare-faced. At night I use a cleanser from Paula's Choice Resist.

Another gentle cleanser from this line is Lipikar Syndet, and that is also good for cleaning irritated skin. That one has a kind of oily scent naturally, but I'm glad that they did not use masking fragrance because fragrance is an irritant, which might make the cleanser intolerable. Toleriane has no scent whatsoever.

I realize that not everyone wears as much makeup as I do, so as long as you're not relying on it to remove your long-wearing foundation or waterproof mascara, I can recommend Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser to people who've had unpleasant allergic reactions to other cleansers. It's good for people with rosacea, eczema, hives, rashes, bad sunburns, or other inflammatory conditions.

One more note: La Roche Posay is not a cruelty free company. Lately I've been weighing this as one of many factors in my decisions to buy or not buy. I prefer to buy from companies that don't animal test. However, when my skin was really inflamed, I was willing to buy this cleanser rather than continue to have red, itching, swollen skin. Recently I found another cleanser, First Aid Beauty's Face Cleanser, which also works well, and that company does not test on animals.

INGREDIENTS:

Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Capryl Glycol/Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin

I loved this at first, I bought it for around $25 at Shoppers Drug Mart after a girlfriend with similar skin issues to mine said it worked for her. My skin can easily breakout with new products, although I don't get full blown acne. This doesn't do a fabulous job of removing makeup, I had to follow up with witch hazel and eye makeup remover to get everything off. It was non-irritating and left my skin soft and smooth, which was good. I squeezed a nickel sized blob onto my fingers and then rubbed it in circular motions over my dry face, then rinsing with water. Recently, after around 3 months of use, I started getting blemishes and I hadn't added anything new to my routine at this time. I gave this cleanser a rest for a few days and started using coconut oil to remove makeup (one word: AMAZING!!!) and all my blemishes healed quickly, if they even fully formed. I randomly used this cleanser once in between my coconut oil days (I needed an easy mid-day fresh face) and lo and behold... breakout city a day later. Sorry fancy cleanser, you're off to the garbage... luckily the bottle is basically done.

COCONUT OIL FOR LIFE!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Dehydrated, Sensitive, Rosacea skin.
I use Biodema Sensibio as make up remover. Previously i was using pea sized amount of la roche posay phsiological gel am and pm to cleanse. It is drying to my skin. Currently i use physiogel in the morning and dermo cleanser in the evening. My skin is starting to feel comfortable and hydrated. It seems like the moisture barrier is healing. Will update again. *fingers crossed* I am tired of trying out product that does not work.
edit: 26/06/15 Using as makeup remover instead. Massage over face and use moistened cotton pad with Sensibio to wipe off. Followed with La roche posay physiological cleansing gel.