La Roche Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser

3.6

Water,Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Carbomer, Ethylhexyloxyglycerin, Capryl Glycol.

on 8/16/2015 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have this cleanser and it's such a pain to use. It's really greasy and leaves a film on your skin. Also when I left it on for more than 30 seconds my face had an allergic reaction to it, it got all red so I don't think I'm going to use it in the future. Maybe I'll just use it on my body in the shower but definitely not on my face. Anyways it's terrible quality for the price (around 15), actually it's terrible quality for any price. I only got it cause it got 4 stars on beautypedia and I honestly don't know how. It's just a greasy cream that in the best case scenario it does nothing to your face and in the worst case scenario it irritates your skin and even clogs your pores. I wish I'd read the reviews and seen the low rating it got on MakeUpAlley before buying it so I didn't have to waste so much money on it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My favorite! I'm on my third bottle of this, and I can't see myself switching to another cleanser.

For context, my skin is extremely dry and fairly acne-prone (though my acne is mostly hormonal and isn't triggered by products I use, for the most part). I've had a lot of problems with cleansers that are far too drying, even those that claimed to be good for sensitive skin. In fact, I just didn't wash my face for a long time (BAD, I know!) because I didn't like the feel of everything.

This cleanser is light and soothing. It's never irritated my skin. There is no fragrance and it doesn't foam, which may or may not be to your taste. I use it in the morning if I'm feeling particularly grimy and at night after oil cleansing with baby oil if I'm wearing makeup (or on its own if I'm not). I always follow with moisturizer and other products. I use maybe a nickel-sized amount, and a bottle lasts me a few months.

The negatives: The price is higher than I'd like to pay for a cleanser, it doesn't take off makeup well (not a con for me -- I prefer using baby oil for makeup removal), and I would prefer if it were packaged in a pump bottle (when it gets down to the bottom third, I have to work harder than I'd like to get the product out).

Other than that, all good! I would highly recommend, especially if you have sensitive or dry skin.

on 7/31/2015 4:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A few months ago, I had a horrible attack of inflammation triggered by irritants in a few of the products I was using (some idiot chemist actually included menthol in a face cleanser), and I couldn't even use Cetaphil, which used to be my emergency go-to cleanser. Nope, even Cetaphil burned. Toleriane did not.

So I bought this and I was relieved that it was safe for extremely sensitive, intolerant skin. However, it doesn't remove makeup very well, so I had to use other products with it. I wish I had bought their other cleanser, Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cream instead. I have since tried that and it seems equally suited to sensitive skin but does a better job of cleaning. If I were a guy and didn't use foundation, powder, concealer, and mascara, I'd probably be satisfied with Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser. It has a similar texture to Cetaphil's signature gentle cleanser but Toleriane is superior. (By the way, Cetaphil didn't remove makeup well either.)

Retail is around 24 USD but you can find it for $15 on Amazon. I keep mine in the shower now and only use it in the morning when I am bare-faced. At night I use a cleanser from Paula's Choice Resist.

Another gentle cleanser from this line is Lipikar Syndet, and that is also good for cleaning irritated skin. That one has a kind of oily scent naturally, but I'm glad that they did not use masking fragrance because fragrance is an irritant, which might make the cleanser intolerable. Toleriane has no scent whatsoever.

I realize that not everyone wears as much makeup as I do, so as long as you're not relying on it to remove your long-wearing foundation or waterproof mascara, I can recommend Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser to people who've had unpleasant allergic reactions to other cleansers. It's good for people with rosacea, eczema, hives, rashes, bad sunburns, or other inflammatory conditions.

One more note: La Roche Posay is not a cruelty free company. Lately I've been weighing this as one of many factors in my decisions to buy or not buy. I prefer to buy from companies that don't animal test. However, when my skin was really inflamed, I was willing to buy this cleanser rather than continue to have red, itching, swollen skin. Recently I found another cleanser, First Aid Beauty's Face Cleanser, which also works well, and that company does not test on animals.

INGREDIENTS:

Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Capryl Glycol/Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin

on 7/13/2015 3:05:00 PM

I loved this at first, I bought it for around $25 at Shoppers Drug Mart after a girlfriend with similar skin issues to mine said it worked for her. My skin can easily breakout with new products, although I don't get full blown acne. This doesn't do a fabulous job of removing makeup, I had to follow up with witch hazel and eye makeup remover to get everything off. It was non-irritating and left my skin soft and smooth, which was good. I squeezed a nickel sized blob onto my fingers and then rubbed it in circular motions over my dry face, then rinsing with water. Recently, after around 3 months of use, I started getting blemishes and I hadn't added anything new to my routine at this time. I gave this cleanser a rest for a few days and started using coconut oil to remove makeup (one word: AMAZING!!!) and all my blemishes healed quickly, if they even fully formed. I randomly used this cleanser once in between my coconut oil days (I needed an easy mid-day fresh face) and lo and behold... breakout city a day later. Sorry fancy cleanser, you're off to the garbage... luckily the bottle is basically done.

COCONUT OIL FOR LIFE!

on 6/23/2015 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Great everyday cleanser. I used as Step 2 in double cleansing method, or by itself in the morning. Extremely gentle and leaves my skin soft. The downside is the price, which I consider expensive for a cleanser.

on 6/8/2015 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Dehydrated, Sensitive, Rosacea skin.
I use Biodema Sensibio as make up remover. Previously i was using pea sized amount of la roche posay phsiological gel am and pm to cleanse. It is drying to my skin. Currently i use physiogel in the morning and dermo cleanser in the evening. My skin is starting to feel comfortable and hydrated. It seems like the moisture barrier is healing. Will update again. *fingers crossed* I am tired of trying out product that does not work.
edit: 26/06/15 Using as makeup remover instead. Massage over face and use moistened cotton pad with Sensibio to wipe off. Followed with La roche posay physiological cleansing gel.

on 5/28/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I looooove this.

This is one of the only two cleansers my super fussy skin can tolerate, the other one being the Weleda baby shampoo/cleanser.
I have rosacea, my skin is dry and dehydrated but stll acne-prone, intolerant and super sensitive.

I use this cleanser in the morning, and sometimes at night on the days where I stay in and don't wear any water-resistant sunscreen.

PROS :
- takes everything off as long as it's not waterproof makeup/sunscreen.
- feels really creamy.
- EXTREMELY moisturizing. My skin feels so plump and bouncy after every use, like if I had used a serum made of hyaluronic acid and baby laughter.
- slight cooling effet, especially if you keep it in cooler room.
- not irritating, as long as you rinse it off.
- non-foaming.
- no real smell, except the smell of frangrance-free cosmetics which is normal.
- can be used as light make-up remover, even on the eyes.
- can be really cheap if you're in France (I paid 15 euros for 800ml), but It gets ridiculously expensive anywhere else. I don't know why, but I'm sorry anyway.
- comes in two different sizes (200ml or 400ml) : the biggest one has a pump that can be locked if needed.

CONS :
- won't take off water-resistant products without some serious rubbing with a cloth or a cotton pad.
- needs to be massaged for a while (at least 30 seconds) in order to take off everything.
- if you're skin is normal to oily (or you're using this as a PM cleanser), you NEED to swipe it off and THEN rinse it.
- if you don't rinse it, it gets a little sticky with all the glycerin that's in it and it might be a little irritating.
- the smallest format (200ml) feels really insecure, packaging wise.
- because it has a super creamy luxurious texture, it feels like you need a lot. You don't necessarily need a ton of it, but you will be tempted to slather it on like it's some kind miraculously fresh yoghurt. So be careful, or you will use more than needed and it will run out fast.

I do recommend this if your skin is normal to very dry, but especially for dehydrated skin. It might work for some people as an all-around face cleanser (AM+PM), as long as you don't use a lot of super long lasting products.

on 5/15/2015 10:24:00 AM

My go-to makeup remover.
Removes all makeup including eye makeup with just a few swipes of this on the face with a cotton pad.
Leaves skin feeling clean and moisturized.
Calms and refreshes my sensitive and allergy prone skin.
Doesn't break out my acne prone skin.
Great product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This product is simple and effective if you buy it for its intended use. I have rosacea and irritable skin and this is the only thing that I can use without moisturizing afterwards.

Use like you would a cold cream, gently massage in your skin and wipe with soft tissues. It's advantage over cold cream is that it is suitable for sensitive skin and has no perfume.

I keep it at my desk to remove non waterproof make-up very gently and effectively,

If you have waterproof eyeliner or mascara on, it is best to use an oil based product.

I would buy it again, if I ever ran out. But even though I usually do a double-cleanse, I had this bottle forever (400 ml. with pump) and a little goes a long way.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have to keep a very simple skin routine because of rosacea so I tried this cleanser, as it seemed my best bet. It as only 8 ingredients. My skin is not crazy sensitive and it's on the dry side but I feel like this doesn't aggravate it at all and it's best to be safe than sorry.
It has a milk consistency and you can use it with or without rinsing. I prefer to apply it on dry skin and remove with warm water and sometimes a cloth. I don't use much make-up - mostly sunscreen and foundation so I can't guarantee it's great for that. If I want to remove eye make-up I usually go for Bioderma. As a morning cleanser, Toleriane is perfect, no residue, never caused any irritation or break-outs.
The packaging for the 200ml sucks as the lid doesn't close well but if you get the 400ml you get a pump so it's a great improvement. And you can get a 400ml for under 10 in Europe which I find accessible