October 25, 2014 | 1643 users online

Moisturizers - La Roche Posay - Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Facial Fluid

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by worrly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried a sample of this and was so impressed at how it worked for my dry, sensitive, breakout prone (for the summer) skin. I liked how the ingredients were short and nothing looked to be irritating and it was fragrance free. Due to the heat and humidity, this formula worked very for my normally dry skin. It was enough emollience for my skin, was not oily at all and I did not get breakouts like I usually do after using a primer and mineral makeup.

The best thing is my mineral makeup went on very well so it worked as a primer too. I would recommend this as one of the few silicone free primers if you are looking for one as a backup for the Korres or Tarte primers when they are sold out at Sephora.

Note: you think LRP who positions themselves as dermatologist tested and recommended line in that does not require a prescription would be fragrance free. Only the TOLERIANE line is fragrance free.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by deuxbisous

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Have had to change my assessment on this after using for a while. It was making my skin itch. I've been really disappointed with everything I've tried from LRP considering the products are meant to be for sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by PatentlyPink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Holy grail moisturizer. I used it all winter with no problems. Recommended by the esthetician at my derm's office for my oily, sensitive and acne prone skin. My only gripe is that it's a bit expensive and I go through a bottle a month using 2-3 pumps morning and night. Still, a winner in my book.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by nanamisan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

unfortunately this product clogs my skin and breaks me out, im guessing its the squalane because i am fine with glycerine. its also not very moisturizing, and it kind of burns sometimes going on, not to mention makes my face turn reddish and shiny. the redness dissipates but the shine factor does not go away especially on the forehead, so i would only use this at night. but anyway i will probably have to give this away as i feel its too expensive and too small of an amount to waste as a hand cream or something haha.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by dxwl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

My skin is sensitive, oily and prone to redness and breakouts. I have repurchased this product three times over the past eighteen months. I can understand why this product has received mixed reviews on here, in part because of how it is marketed by la roche posay. However, it has been perfect for me except when the weather is very cold and I need something heavier; it hasn't broken me out or made my skin more sensitive. Here are my observations.
1. Texture and finish: The light facial fluid is truly a fluid and is very thin in consistency, almost watery. If you like heavier or rich moisturisers this product is not for you. Although the moisturiser is very light in texture it is not matifying. The reverse is true, this leaves a sheen on the skin,which does not bother me, but may bother someone looking for a matifying moisturiser.
2: Packaging: The thin texture of the fluid makes it imperative that this product is in an efficient container. The fluid comes in an opaque pump bottle. For me, one pump is enough for my entire face. Without the pump, the product would be messy. The bottle is airtight which means that the product does not have to contain as many preservatives. Preservatives can be irritating for some people. Although the opacity of the container is a pain;it is difficult to tell how much moisturiser you have left, this helps the product last longer as natural light can degrade some ingredients (although in this instance I think that none of the ingredients here are photosensitive).
3. Price: I live in the UK. La roche posay products are not considered as premium brands here and are not marketed as such. However, they are more expensive than products made by chemist/ supermarket brands like olay, neutrogena, garnier etc. Indeed, the one irritating things for me about this product is the price. Lots of reviews of the product have helpfully labelled the ingredients. There are around seven. I am bemused how this retails at £17.00 when it contains so little. It seems ironic that you have to pay for the privilege of having a simple product. Nonetheless it is a price I am willing to pay for an effective moisturiser, it just bemuses me a little.
4. Product claims: As noted at the start of the review, I mentioned that this procudct leaves the skin looking dewy. The packet insert and the company's website claim this moisturiser is matifying; it is not. Second, the word soothing is misleading. There is nothing in the product's ingredients that actively soothe the skin; no antioxidants or anti irritants. It would be more accurate for la roche posay to say that this product has been formulated with minimum ingredients (no fragrance, dyes, alchohol etc) to reduce the risk of allergy or reactions.
Overall, I like this product. It functions as a simple, effective, no frills moisturiser for combination to slightly oily skin which is also sensitive.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was really hoping that this moisturizer would be perfect for my super sensitive, combination, clog-prone skin. But alas, it was a complete failure. It actually is not moisturizing enough for my skin, and yet, it causes clogs and breakouts. I suspect the squalane is to blame for this. I will not be able to continue using it on my face, so I guess I'll use it up on my body, since I can't return it to the site I bought it from. So disappointing. The never-ending moisturizer search continues.

Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Squalane, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Carbomer, Ethylhexyloxyglycerin/Ethylhexyglycerin, Capryl Glycol/Caprylyl Glycol. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by OPLALS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Toleriane Fluid Soothing Protective Non-Oily Emulsion

I used this last summer, and it was great for no-nonsense light moisture. I have oily combination clog-prone skin. I could use this all over, night and day, and my dehydrated cheeks drank it up happily (became silky) while it didn't make my oily forehead shine more than it has to :)
No problems using it under sunscreen and foundation and no break outs or clogs.

Main ingredients, on a short list, are squalane and glycerin. Squalane, not squalene. So if you know whether you fare well with those you'll know how you'll probably do with this moisturizer. If you don't know but have combo or oily sensitive skin and need to try something, go ahead and try it.

The main reason I didn't repurchase is the cost. Yes, I only needed one or two pumps each time, but I still went through the bottle in a few months. That's too expensive. So after using it up, on the rec of the skin board, I bought olive squalane oil. I have been using that same bottle (which is the same size bottle as this product) for almost a year now! Will write a separate review, but it's almost as good as this.

Reading between the lines, it seems LRP uses animal squalane, by the way (shark liver oil).

With the minimal ingredients, this gets top health marks from goodguide.com.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by euristocrat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I usually use the Toleriane Soothing Protective Skincare (normal to combo skin) but I have bought this twice when I have wanted something lighter for the summer. I wanted to love it, which is why I repurchased a second time but I have decided that it's just not for me. Despite being for combo to oily skin, I find that when I use this moisturiser, my skin is very shiny after a few hours. At the same time, my skin is not hydrated and feels tight with dehydration lines. It seems to sit on the surface of my skin, which is probably why it makes it oily. The only plus point is that it doesn't irritate my very sensitive skin. I'll stick with the regular Toleriane.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 7:18:00 PM More reviews by bedeal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So this little guy is a bit pricey but I believe it's worth it. About 2 months ago I got a nice (horrifying) case of contact dermatitis on my eye lids and neck. At that time I had been using Clinique acne solutions line for 3 years. That never really gave me results. My acne never got better and I always wore the acne solutions foundation during the day because my skin had gotten discoloured and blotchy. The acne solutions line was super harsh for my skin and kept flaring up the dermatitis to the point where I was crying and started using just honey to wash my face and moisturize. Then I got this little guy on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's a good simple moisturizer for oily skin. It definitely isn't super strongly moisturizing but it does the trick for me because I'm not super dry. It's gentle enough to put on my eyes with and without dermatitis flare ups. I really like it. It doesn't make me greasy either. The pump dispenser is fantastic and it has a low safe rating from EWG. I'm happy to use this as my staple moisturizer. Each bottle will last me close to 3 months using it once every morning and night. I wash with the Toleriane Foaming Cleanser, put the moisturizer on and make a 1:3 pt ACV:Concentrated green tea toner that I only put on my pimples after moisturizing to dry them up overnight (I know toner is supposed to be put on before moisturizing but this is how it works well for me). If you're on the fence about buying this I say try it, especially if it is on sale, because there's no real harm with this.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2013 6:03:00 PM More reviews by EightLeavesFivePearls

This stuff is fantastic for combination dry to combination oily skin. It's soothing and sinks in like a dream. It did make my forehead (the absolute oiliest part of my face) a bit greasy so if you are extremely extremely oily maybe this wouldn't be the best product for you. Likewise, if you are extremely dry, product has an almost serum-like texture and I can't see it being hydrating enough on its own for dry skin, a thicker more emollient layer will be needed on top, though Toleriane fluid could certainly function as a hydrating base serum if need be.

Anyway, despite the slighly oily forehead (easily remedied by avoiding the area), my skin felt like baby skin with this stuff on. I had some raw and cracking areas around my mouth from retinoid use and this calmed it down and healed it within one use overnight. My skin felt smooth, supple, hydrated, and happy.

Unfortunately, I can't use this. Despite the magnificent hydration and texture, it clogs me like you would not believe. Squalane, the primary ingredient after water, is generally considered mildly comedogenic but is apparently a huge no go for me. I ended up with underground zits and clogged pores all over my face, even on my cheeks where I rarely break out. Truly disappointing. Toleriane fluid has been the only moisturizer I've ever tried that has been both hydrating and light enough for my skin to feel good with it on.

I still give it three stars though, just because it doesn't work for me individually doesn't mean it's a bad product. In fact, I would recommend this product very highly IF you are fortunate enough to be able to use squalane without breakouts and if you are not extremely, extremely oily. A patch test may be necessary first.