MAC Captive

on 5/26/2015 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Captive is everything I wanted Craving to be. FYI the shades look totally different on me. Captive is darker, more alluring. I'm around NW35 so it's not exactly "vampy" on me but it's probably the darkest color that I can rock on the daily in my collection (but I'm afraid of dark colors so that's not saying much). It definitely looked much darker in the Mac store than real life.
I would definitely recommend that everyone try this. Another shade that I think would be universally flattering. I have tons and tons of pink, rosey lipsticks but this one is unique. Looks amazing with Dolce Vita blush from Nars.

My only complaint is that the Satin formula can be a bit drying.

on 5/5/2015 10:37:00 AM

This must be my all time favourite lipstick from Mac. Such a beautiful plummish colour. I love this for a semi-vamp look. It stays on for a couple of hours. My only problem is I couldn't find a lip liner matching this.

Also, Nars Afghan Red is a similar colour... It is between Captive and Craving and it stays on long and has a very good texture.

on 12/27/2014 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I think it's such a beautiful colour that suits my complexion; i can wear it everyday - at any formal or informal event - and know that it would compliment and complete my look. The finish it leaves is lovely, not too matte and not too glossy. I applied the mac prep and prime for lips and let that dry (until it felt sticky) before applying this lipstick and found it quite long lasting. I gained many compliments on the colour and got told many times that it suited me. many people even asked which lipstick it was so that they could purchase it also. I'd definitely buy it again :)

on 9/27/2014 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I don't know why it's taken me this long to "discover" Captive as it's just the sort of lipstick colour that I gravitate toward. It's a very pretty, flattering shade of pinky burgundy red that suits my skin tone. I was surprised to find that it felt a bit dry and "draggy" going on right from the tube, though applying it with a lipstick brush eliminates this. And I also find that the wear with this lipstick is pretty good. It generally lasts til about lunch-time on me, which is pretty good.

This is a pretty plum rosey color it is very similar to craving but just a bit thicker in texture I really like this color and it is one of those colors that is good on everyone im glad I got this.

on 7/30/2014 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have dry, chapped lips that require moisturizing every 2 hours at least and so I normally use Estee Lauder lipsticks. However, since everyone I know seem to praise MAC, eventually I gave in and bought this as a first shade. Even if I line my whole lips, this product doesn't seem to stay for long. It's not as creamy when applying, but I think I will continue to use it as part of my daily make-up routine.

on 4/17/2014 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This color is a great, everyday color for my skin tone and pigmented lips; I am NC 45-50. I had bought Amorous (a similar color) first and didn't like the muddy, purplish undertone that it had. I tried on Captive at the MAC store and really liked it. It's more of a pinkish-plum color that I can wear with anything. It has become my go-to, everyday lipstick. Topping it with a pink gloss or stain makes it even prettier.

on 1/3/2014 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Captive has a subtle pink, but mostly plum color perfect for fall or winter. The Satin formula is my favorite from MAC, it's matte with a little bit of sheen to keep it from looking too flat. It's very opaque, pigmented, and IMO comfortable to wear even though I have naturally dry lips, I just have to prepare my lips before wear. If you prefer a creamier formula MAC's Craving is almost identical to this color, but with an Amplified Creme finish. You can pair it with MAC's Plum lip pencil to keep the same color, or use something like Beet to make it a bit brighter. If you're looking for a perfect plum color this is definitely it. I don't get a lot of wear out of this shade because I have other vampy colors I like better, like Rebel for example, but it's great to have in my collection for an occasion in fall or winter where Rebel is a little too bright.

on 10/16/2013 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a really nice plum-my pink, slightly darker than a "my lips but better color", but nothing too standout. "Captive" is very flattering on me as a NW20, but I expect this would look great on anyone -- the color is pretty universal. That being said, it's also a really common color, I feel like every brand has their own formulation of this color.

The texture is really wonderful though. It feels creamy, so it's not drying at all, though it doesn't have the staying power of some of the more matte or vibrant hues. You're probably looking at like 3 and a half hours before touchups. It's very pigmented; a swipe from the bullet and you're set.

Overall, nice, but I'm tempted to explore and see what variations on this color other companies have to offer.

on 4/10/2013 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Captive is a nice medium toned reddish plum color. Its similiar to "Legendary Femme" lipstick but a bit darker. I have light olive NC20 skin and I think this color looks great with brown and bronze eye shadow. I recommend this as a nice every day color that will give your lips some definition.

Popular Lipsticks