July 29, 2014 | 2005 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Captive

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 10:30:00 PM More reviews by priyaj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This color is a great, everyday color for my skin tone and pigmented lips; I am NC 45-50. I had bought Amorous (a similar color) first and didn't like the muddy, purplish undertone that it had. I tried on Captive at the MAC store and really liked it. It's more of a pinkish-plum color that I can wear with anything. It has become my go-to, everyday lipstick. Topping it with a pink gloss or stain makes it even prettier.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Captive has a subtle pink, but mostly plum color perfect for fall or winter. The Satin formula is my favorite from MAC, it's matte with a little bit of sheen to keep it from looking too flat. It's very opaque, pigmented, and IMO comfortable to wear even though I have naturally dry lips, I just have to prepare my lips before wear. If you prefer a creamier formula MAC's Craving is almost identical to this color, but with an Amplified Creme finish. You can pair it with MAC's Plum lip pencil to keep the same color, or use something like Beet to make it a bit brighter. If you're looking for a perfect plum color this is definitely it. I don't get a lot of wear out of this shade because I have other vampy colors I like better, like Rebel for example, but it's great to have in my collection for an occasion in fall or winter where Rebel is a little too bright.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a really nice plum-my pink, slightly darker than a "my lips but better color", but nothing too standout. "Captive" is very flattering on me as a NW20, but I expect this would look great on anyone -- the color is pretty universal. That being said, it's also a really common color, I feel like every brand has their own formulation of this color.

The texture is really wonderful though. It feels creamy, so it's not drying at all, though it doesn't have the staying power of some of the more matte or vibrant hues. You're probably looking at like 3 and a half hours before touchups. It's very pigmented; a swipe from the bullet and you're set.

Overall, nice, but I'm tempted to explore and see what variations on this color other companies have to offer.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by Xexuxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Captive is a nice medium toned reddish plum color. Its similiar to "Legendary Femme" lipstick but a bit darker. I have light olive NC20 skin and I think this color looks great with brown and bronze eye shadow. I recommend this as a nice every day color that will give your lips some definition.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 1:26:00 PM More reviews by rahaf7727

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love that the dry matt texture makes it long lasting. if youre a fan of berry/purple lips, this is the best lipstick in the world. it takes some getting used to but its a gorgeous color. ive seen people of various skin tones use this lipstick

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Emma721

The product is great, justifies the price! And the pink hue tone of MAC Captive is really captivating. The only thing is the lipstick is a bit dry, if used with a suitable base such as a lip balm then you get better results.
I generally prefer Lipice lip balm a product by Multibrands as a base wich gives a great finish to the lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by christina001

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow, I have been wearing this one nonstop since a Mac MUA recommended it to me over Plumful (which is similar, but sheer). The satin formula of this one really shows when applied, and it is beautiful.
I was skeptical at first - it looks downright purple in the tube. Applied with a lip brush and/or blotted, it is a dark, but wearable berry pink. The MUA strongly suggested I should be more courageous and apply it full-on. Then, it becomes a reddish-purple-berry. So beautiful! I have worn it at home only at first, not being used to dark lipsticks. Everytime I have worn it out in the lovely autumn weather afterwards, I received compliments. "The husband", who dislikes strong makeup with a passion, has not disapproved yet. either.
Awesome colour for a change in autumn!
Ps. I have very strongly pigmented lips on medium skintone. Colours tend to look a lot darker and more extreme on me. That may have to be kept in mind if one is on the quest for a dark berrytone..judging from some other reviews, this may be lighter on people with less strongly pigmented lips!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 7:59:00 PM More reviews by jamster86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this shade. I wanted something a little toned down for the day time but still something that would be noticed and this is it! I've read other reviews that say its goth, or for older ladies, and to me that doesnt make sense at all! It must be one of those shades that really depends on lip pigmentation. But for me it's a gorgeous dusky rose pink which can be worn more thickly for a brighter look. I absolutely adore it and since getting it a few days ago have worn it none stop and had lots of compliments!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 12:36:00 PM More reviews by ilovejp

I agree with one of the reviewers below. I saw this in MAC and although darker than what I normally go for, I thought it would suit me. It looked different once I got it home and once I tried it on I realised it just wasn't for me. It just doesn't suit me but I imagine it would look really nice on someone with a more suited skin tone. It washes me out which is a shame because it is a nice colour but it just does me no favours.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by mapn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I donít really remember the last time Iíve owned an actual lipstick; I usually stick to glosses. But I decided itís time to try something new and went to the MAC counter at an airport. I confessed the sales that Iím a lipstick novice and gave her my colour specs: quite dark and strong, but not overly so for my pale NC15 complexion, more pinkish than brownish, and with a semi-matte finish. She recommended Captive and Iíve been most pleased with it! The shade is just what I wanted, and looks very pretty on me. The staying power is ok I guess, donít have much to compare it with. I only wear it on special occasions, and Iím quite sure Iíll never become an everyday lipstick wearer.