October 31, 2014 | 1559 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Captive

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't know why it's taken me this long to "discover" Captive as it's just the sort of lipstick colour that I gravitate toward. It's a very pretty, flattering shade of pinky burgundy red that suits my skin tone. I was surprised to find that it felt a bit dry and "draggy" going on right from the tube, though applying it with a lipstick brush eliminates this. And I also find that the wear with this lipstick is pretty good. It generally lasts til about lunch-time on me, which is pretty good.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/3/2014 5:15:00 PM More reviews by hottahitilover

This is nice but almost every drug store lipstick has a similar shade this doesn't stand out and its too common I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 8:24:00 AM More reviews by fofamoyane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have dry, chapped lips that require moisturizing every 2 hours at least and so I normally use Estee Lauder lipsticks. However, since everyone I know seem to praise MAC, eventually I gave in and bought this as a first shade. Even if I line my whole lips, this product doesn't seem to stay for long. It's not as creamy when applying, but I think I will continue to use it as part of my daily make-up routine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 10:30:00 PM More reviews by priyaj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This color is a great, everyday color for my skin tone and pigmented lips; I am NC 45-50. I had bought Amorous (a similar color) first and didn't like the muddy, purplish undertone that it had. I tried on Captive at the MAC store and really liked it. It's more of a pinkish-plum color that I can wear with anything. It has become my go-to, everyday lipstick. Topping it with a pink gloss or stain makes it even prettier.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 12:29:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Captive has a subtle pink, but mostly plum color perfect for fall or winter. The Satin formula is my favorite from MAC, it's matte with a little bit of sheen to keep it from looking too flat. It's very opaque, pigmented, and IMO comfortable to wear even though I have naturally dry lips, I just have to prepare my lips before wear. If you prefer a creamier formula MAC's Craving is almost identical to this color, but with an Amplified Creme finish. You can pair it with MAC's Plum lip pencil to keep the same color, or use something like Beet to make it a bit brighter. If you're looking for a perfect plum color this is definitely it. I don't get a lot of wear out of this shade because I have other vampy colors I like better, like Rebel for example, but it's great to have in my collection for an occasion in fall or winter where Rebel is a little too bright.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a really nice plum-my pink, slightly darker than a "my lips but better color", but nothing too standout. "Captive" is very flattering on me as a NW20, but I expect this would look great on anyone -- the color is pretty universal. That being said, it's also a really common color, I feel like every brand has their own formulation of this color.

The texture is really wonderful though. It feels creamy, so it's not drying at all, though it doesn't have the staying power of some of the more matte or vibrant hues. You're probably looking at like 3 and a half hours before touchups. It's very pigmented; a swipe from the bullet and you're set.

Overall, nice, but I'm tempted to explore and see what variations on this color other companies have to offer.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by Xexuxa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Captive is a nice medium toned reddish plum color. Its similiar to "Legendary Femme" lipstick but a bit darker. I have light olive NC20 skin and I think this color looks great with brown and bronze eye shadow. I recommend this as a nice every day color that will give your lips some definition.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 1:26:00 PM More reviews by rahaf7727

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love that the dry matt texture makes it long lasting. if youre a fan of berry/purple lips, this is the best lipstick in the world. it takes some getting used to but its a gorgeous color. ive seen people of various skin tones use this lipstick

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Emma721

The product is great, justifies the price! And the pink hue tone of MAC Captive is really captivating. The only thing is the lipstick is a bit dry, if used with a suitable base such as a lip balm then you get better results.
I generally prefer Lipice lip balm a product by Multibrands as a base wich gives a great finish to the lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2012 9:34:00 AM More reviews by christina001

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wow, I have been wearing this one nonstop since a Mac MUA recommended it to me over Plumful (which is similar, but sheer). The satin formula of this one really shows when applied, and it is beautiful.
I was skeptical at first - it looks downright purple in the tube. Applied with a lip brush and/or blotted, it is a dark, but wearable berry pink. The MUA strongly suggested I should be more courageous and apply it full-on. Then, it becomes a reddish-purple-berry. So beautiful! I have worn it at home only at first, not being used to dark lipsticks. Everytime I have worn it out in the lovely autumn weather afterwards, I received compliments. "The husband", who dislikes strong makeup with a passion, has not disapproved yet. either.
Awesome colour for a change in autumn!
Ps. I have very strongly pigmented lips on medium skintone. Colours tend to look a lot darker and more extreme on me. That may have to be kept in mind if one is on the quest for a dark berrytone..judging from some other reviews, this may be lighter on people with less strongly pigmented lips!