October 25, 2014 | 1896 users online

Styling Products - Sexy Hair Concepts - Big Sexy Hair - Volumizing Gel

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 5:19:00 AM More reviews by lwrng

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used this gel for years & have always liked it but after using it tonight I felt compelled to give it a shoutout! I get EXCEPTIONAL height at the roots with this stuff! If you're a gel person I am pretty sure you will love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/4/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by katgolightly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I like this product okay. I received a sample in my ipsy subscription and I'll use it until I run out. My hair is fine and naturally wavy so I use this primarily when blowing it out. I find I can get more volume at the roots when I use this as opposed to when I don't but it's definitely more of a special occasion type product for me just because I don't spend the time blowing out my hair all that often.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:55:00 PM More reviews by ctanguyen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have thin wavy 2a, 2b waves and I USED TO LOVE LOVE LOVE this gel...until they changed the formula. The old formula was only a handful of ingredients long (see picture). With Aloe Vera, Chamomile, and all these extracts listed within the first 10 ingredients.

The old formula was a godsend. It gave me flexible hold and volume that lasted all day. It even enhanced and made my waves so perfect. The new formula just sits on top of my hair, I would initially get volume after diffusing my hair upside down but then it would go flat within 40 mins. With the old formula even when I gave myself a blowout it held all day.

I didn't notice they changed the formula until I bought a small travel bottle at Ulta one day on vacation, used it and thought, this is right. When I got home I found an old travel bottle in my travel box in storage and compared the ingredients and found out why the new one didn't perform well at all!

Here are the ingredients.. judge for yourself:

Old formula: Aqua (Water), Aloe Vera, Chamomile Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Ginseng Extract, Calendula Extract, Birch Leaf Extract, Lavender Extract, Clove Extract, Yarrow Extract, Grape Seed Extract (Antioxidant), WHole Wheat Protein, PVP/VA Copolymer, Polyquaternium-11, Polyquaternium-4, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate-20, Dimethicone copolyol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Carbomer, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, DMDM Hydatoin

Notice how in the picture the ingredients list font shrunk in size in order to fit onto the tiny travel bottle. All the ingredients listed on various websites online is the old formula but after purchasing a few, I ended up returning it because the bottle listed the new formula:

Water, propylene glycol, vp/va copolymer, pvp, triethanolamine, carbomer, polysorbate 20, peg-12 dimethocone, dmdm hydatoin, fragrance, polyquaternium-11, peg-almond glycerides, polyquaternium-4 linalool, keratin amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, benzyle salicylate, limonene, butylphenyl methylpropional, cintronellol hydroxycitonellal, methylchlorisothiazolinone, gerniol, eugenol, hexyl cinnamal, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde, methoisothiazolinone, chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Btula Alba Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) flower extract, lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) flower/leaf stem extract, melissa officinalis leaf extract, panax ginseng root extract, cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl benzoate, cinnamal, citral, coumarin.

Notice how all the extracts are all the way at the bottom after 23 heavily processed synthetic chemicals before it.

There are better products out there that are cheaper.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2013 9:26:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

Not bad, not bad. Does truly create volume without making hair too frizzy in the process. Best volumizing gel I've encountered so far!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

At first I loved this product, it does produce very good body while helping lock in styling. However, after several months of using this as directed, I noticed that my hair was looking far more damaged than usual, it didn't look smooth anymore, split-ends were out of control, and it was much dryer than ever before. Since this is the only thing I changed in my hair routine, I decided this product must be the culprit, and upon further investigation I realized it was probably due to its very high alcohol content. I should have read the ingredients more carefully, most gels have alcohol, but up until I started using this stuff I was using a minimal amount of hair gel in the front of my part only to keep it straight. It was when I started running this product through my hair everyday that the damage started. Well, I learned my lesson, and after six months of babying my hair it is back to where it was before I used this product. I'm now relying on conditioners to give me body and only use gel on my part like I had done in the past.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Dance41886

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great volumizing product! I like it because it gives enough volume without looking like you have some sort of crazy bouffant. It doesn't flake or leave my hair sticky like some other volumizing products I've tried. I hate feeling like I have product in my hair so I love that this is lightweight but still gives results!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2012 5:37:00 PM More reviews by donnatd

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Good stuff!

This is the best volumizing gel out there.
AND its effectiveness stand alone with any
shampoo/conditioner.
YOu don't need to use the same line shampoo/condition
to get results.

This is very expensive.. but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by laniadoje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First, the pump was completely stuck... it took some doing to get it opened. Once I did.... omg. I have thick, heavy, long hair. This stuff totally lifts up my roots and gives great volume. My hair feels so light and doesn't have that dicky gel feeling to it from the product. It also combined well with my anti frizzled serum. Yay! Overall, love it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2011 12:31:00 PM More reviews by peababy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After I tried Big Sexy Hair Powder - I got trial sizes of the shampoo, conditioner and this gel at CVS. I really love what it does to my hair. Before, my hair was thin and flat and would droop after a few hours. This really keeps its hold!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by vikavi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, this is great product. First it's nice because after I put it on my hair my hands are not greasy or creamy just like after other similar products.... the volume is just unbelievable.. super big.... and I used all kind of volume stuff on market, including Tigi... nothing is good enough....
this one is close to my HG....