August 1, 2014 | 2027 users online

Skincare - Face - Johnson & Johnson - Purpose Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by ChineseCricket88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this facial cleanser for my acne-prone, dehydrated skin. It's a no-nonsense cleanser that doesn't aggravate my skin. Rinses off easily. I buy two of the large bottles at a time, one for my bathroom counter and one for the shower. Seems expensive for a drugstore product, but when you compare it to the higher-end cleansers that are full of fragrance and other nonsense, this is a really good deal.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Devildog4025

I used Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask for YEARS, and that product still gets high reviews from me. But after being diagnosed with rosacea, I had to re-think my skin care, and I had to face facts that while that product helped me MOST of the time, it did more harm than good other times (I still use it as a mask when I need a 'deeper' clean).
After searching (and searching and searching) for a perfect cleaner... Purpose was it. I hate that it contains sulfates, but I have to just suck it up. It is VERY gentle (I have the type of skin that is VERY easily irritated, even in my 30's, and I CANNOT, under any circumstances, use anything 'scrubby' or exfoliating in nature). And this seems to really get my whole face (eye makeup included) completley clean without drying it at all (for the record, my skin in very oily with random dry patches). I just find it super gentle, and my skin agrees. I get the HUGE size on drugstore.com for a very reasonable price ($9 for 12 oz) and it takes me months to get through. A little goes a very long way. I also use it on my chest and neck as it's not harsh and perfect for delicate skin. I do wish however, it was easier to travel with (I have yet to fly somewhere and NOT have it explode in my suitcase; thank goodness for plastic bags!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by xxhna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have fairly sensitive skin. I had been pretty faithful to Shiseido Perfect Milk for years but simply wanted to change up my skin care regimen. I also wanted a product that I could buy in town and not overseas (I hate waiting lol). I saw this and remembered how my derm gave it to me when I first got eczema. I looked at the ingredient list and loved how it was so short. I saw reviews which were great. Needless to say, two bottles later, I really love this product! It takes off all my makeup and does not leave my skin tight, dry or uncomfortable. It foams nicely and allows me to glide my hands easily over my face to gently remove my makeup. (I double cleanse at night unless I haven't been wearing makeup. I do this with all cleansers. Just a habit.)

And yes this is the same as Clean & Clear foaming cleanser for sensitive skin except that the latter contains a powdery fragrance but nonetheless cleanses the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by SleepIsTheCousin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

YES. Thank you Jesus for allowing me to finally get something that is helping me heal. Have had such a terrible bout of severe cheek acne (hormonal... due to Loestrin... grr) and everything that I used just exacerbated and dried out my skin even more... thats never good. This is gentle enough, lathers so well, and feels clean without having that tight feeling. I'm happy and will be repurchasing. I'd recommend a very light cleanser to dry and acne prone skin types like mine.

Also, I do not use this cleanser to take my makeup off. I take it off before I cleanse.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that the pH of this cleanser is 6.5 - 7, that of water. Thats what they mean by "gentle as water."

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Flowerbby

Just got it and its already clearing up my face! I am very impressed!!! It's foams nicely its cheap no draw backs:)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by intelsana

I really like this cleanser. It was one of the recommended cleansers from my dermatologist to use with a retenoid. It works great and is a bit drying but nothing that a good moisturizer cannot take care of! Highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by husserl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

While I like this cleanser a lot, I prefer Acne.org's cleanser over this one. However, I always keep a bottle of this stuff around because it is a good, reliable product at an affordable price point. I use it when I travel or run out of my usual cleanser.

There are three reasons why this isn't my number one choice.

First, SLS is the main foaming agent here. The SLS in this cleanser leaves my face feeling a bit tight after I cleanse. Other chemically similar foaming agents don't do this to me. It's not huge deal since I always moisturize after cleansing but I could do without that squeaky clean feeling.

Second, this cleanser is fragranced. I don't have a special sensitivity to fragrance but my skin is sensitive in general. Sometimes fragrance can contribute to overall sensitivity issues.

Finally, the Acne.org cleanser is a comparable product in my humble opinion but the Acne.org cleanser is even more cost effective in terms of dollars per ounce IF you purchase the largest bottle size and a few bottles at a time to offset the cost of shipping. Maybe this seems excessive but I consider the cost per ounce when I consider the value of any given product.

Still, this is a solid product. If you like this, you might also like the Clean and Clear sensitive cleanser if for some reason this is out of stock at your drugstore. It's very similar.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 12:57:00 AM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

Amazing. It removes my makeup really well which surprised me since most facial washes don't. And for the price, it's awesome!! I find it to be gentle on my skin as well. No crazy fragrances, and I follow up with a moisturizer. I mainly use it at night, and I use proactiv during the day if I even use anything. So happy I decided to try it! Oh and for reference I have combination skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/23/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Leahgranger1988

WARNING: Read ingredients and know what ingredients are bad for you before you buy a product.

Please do not listen to the PR and reviews for this facial wash. I wanted to believe it all too because my face was breaking out badly. This cleanser has not helped in the past month and my skin felt very irritated and again I was left with acne, and asking why?? I finally decided to research for myself and found an article "Ten Ingredients to Avoid in Your Face Products" by the website Good.is.

Purpose cleanser had two of these ten in their ingredients: "Sodium Laureth Sulfate" and "Fragrance." SLS strips you of your natural oils and "Fragrance" has a whole mess of hormone disruptors. There are effective, natural ways to cure your acne. Please do not give up hope.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2012 7:57:00 AM More reviews by gmmace80

I use this cleanser exclusively on my eyelids. Most of my face tends to be quite dry, so I use Albolene to cleanse and remove makeup, and follow with Purpose to cleanse my eyelids before applying Latisse and eyelash conditioner. It does a great job of removing the excess oil without burning the eyes. The bar version of Purpose is NOT the same, I've tried it when I couldn't locate the liquid version and it burns the eyes like crazy.