September 17, 2014 | 1904 users online

Eyeliner - Physicians Formula - Loose Kohl Eyeliner

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2007 8:06:00 PM More reviews by gudewife

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yes, these nice folks are telling the truth. It takes some practice to learn to apply this stuff with the "stick applicator in eye and blink" technique. It can be messy, and if you try to freehand with this stuff, it could be REAL messy. It's not the easiest thing to do, and not something you want to try for the first time if you're rushed, or if you have no remover handy, or if you've already put all your makeup on. It can make a mess, and it can smudge (which is sort of the whole point). Have patience with the stuff and work with it instead of against it.

I'd also add another bit of advice: the first time you try this technique, do NOT give in to the impulse to add more because it doesn't look like it applied well. Seriously, walk away for a few minutes, blink, roll your eyes, and let the stuff migrate and completely rim your eyes before you decide it's not enough. It's easy to over-apply if you don't give it a chance to do its thing. It also tends to "refresh" itself throughout the day as you blink.

And oh, what a look. Dramatic and compelling, but not obvious. I'm really pale, with black hair and large pale slate/blue eyes, and it's real easy for me to look either overdone or very goth in black eyeliner, but this stuff gives me a very intense look that you "can't quite put your finger on."

I got this for $1.99 at a discount store, and I may just go back and pick up a few more for that price. IMO, this is not the liner for everyone; I think it's a certain look and a certain kind of person that will make this work.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2006 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Tatika

I think the problem that alot of the people here have with the eyeliner is that they dont know how to apply it..you have to get the khol on the stick, place it horizontally and parallel to you eye, bring it tot he inner rim and blink and squeeze the lids together...also make sure that you tap excess off...this stops it from landing on your cheeks..i like this product alot, i used it in bronze, unfortunately they discontinued it believe, so now i have to go to the middle eastern sector of my city and buy the little import tubes, which are a dollar! great deal, but theyre only in black...oh well..but back tot the review, if you follow the above steps, you should have no problem, its very good!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2006 2:21:00 PM More reviews by spooky_natalya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

wasn't happy with this at all. looked like it was going to be all dark and create sultry eyes, but in the end it was horrible. brush and applying was impossible, and when it actually did get on my eyes, it was this horrible gray, NOT black. and in a matter of an hour or so it started transferring to my upper lid making it look like i had a ring around both my eyes, very unflattering.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2006 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Chena

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I didn't find it a very black black. The brush was useless, as the powders didn't stick to it at all. Really hard to apply, and can become a huge mess. The only plus is that the packaging is mad cute.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2006 3:26:00 PM More reviews by fes_fsa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

finally, i can buy egyptian kohl in a drugstore! i see that people are reviewing this as loose black eyeshadow/liner--that is not the case! you have to hold the applicator parallel to your eye and close your eyes over it. it has to actually TOUCH your eyeball!. i agree with everyone about this stuff getting on your cheeks, and how you should do your eyes first before all of your other makeup. this is not a problem, as this stuff will last about 3 or 4 days on your eyes, even if you wash your mascara off (it might come off if you're accustomed to scrubbing the inner rims of your eyes, hopefully you don't do that). the durability and how healthy kohl is for your eyes more than makes up for any other inconveniences.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2005 5:44:00 PM More reviews by kawaiichan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I read about this in a magazine and was instantly allured by the "loose kohl" idea of it so I got the black one and it when I opened it up, it just struck me that it is similar to black eyeshadow being used as an eyeliner. and I already have 2 black eyeshadows as it is! I don't need a 3rd one!

I hate the dust it leaves behind, so do your eyes first before the rest of your face makeup

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2005 7:10:00 PM More reviews by keahi

I thought this stuff was very messy and awkward to apply. My applicator didn't seem to have a little brush on it either--more like a plastic stump--so maybe that was my problem. Anyway, this did not produce an effect that was any different or preferable to using a black shadow as a liner so I will forgo this in the future. Too gimmicky.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2005 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Cdjax

WOW! I love this stuff! The brush gets the liner really close to the lashline and makes it very easy to get a perfectly straight line. The packaging is very cute and retro-looking, which is definitely a plus for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2005 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Shedeviluptuous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really did like this eyeliner..awesome for a smokey eyes look...this was my first "loose kohl" experience and I realize it is definitely easier to apply a very dark line then a kohl pencil..BUT even with a vert steady hand you will probably notice tiny black flakes under your eyes after applying (just application residue)....DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WIPE OFF WITH YOUR HANDS. Those tiny black particles somehow magically transform into big black streaks that dont wipe off from hell. Use makeup remove pads, works much easier..and you probably want to do your foundation/cheek makeup AFTER eyeliner application due to the above. But all in all, if I decided to go back to kohl pencil I will probably choose this one again! (just wish it wasn't so messy)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2004 3:03:00 AM More reviews by morguegurl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

this stuff sucks...not only does the powder drip all over your face, the applicator brush was bent when i purchased it, so I had to apply it with a different brush..i am not impressed