April 18, 2014 | 1861 users online

Toners - Neutrogena - Pore Refining Toner

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by babyro0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I always have a hard time finding a toner that I actually like, I have tried many other Brands, including the Dickinsons witch hazel pore perfecting toner, which I hated, because it stank and was unbearable. After throwing away my witch hazel I went and bought this, as I'm a huge fan of Neutrogena Makeup Removing Wipes, as well as their Acne Stress Control Toner and enjoyed it.

The first time I used this product, it didn't sting my face, I do use a toner twice a day because of my combination skin, once in the morning, then once at night to help with foundation/concealer removal. After using it for a couple of days, it did begin to sting, and I noticed it was very drying. It did make my pores smaller in appearance, however, even after applying moisturizer and primer to my face, my foundation refuses to go on evenly after using this product. I use The Smashbox Toner to even out red skin, as well as Urban Decays Naked Skin and Naked Concealer. They are high end brands, I paid a lot for them, and haven't had problems until I started Using this.

Bottom line, this product isn't great, it does, however smell pleasant, I use it only once a day now at night before applying my Jergens Cold Cream to rehydrate my skin while I sleep. I would recommend it to someone who has nicer skin to start with, as it may help you, however, it didn't help me at all.

I will not be re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 10:31:00 PM More reviews by SusieQ1973

Despite being unable to use this product in my teens and early 20's, I decided to give it another try now years later..and to my surprise it is wonderful! The alcohol and AHA's were far too harsh for my sensitive acne prone skin 10 or 20 years ago, but now I am in love with this product! Love how my skin feels tighter and pores are noticeably smaller! I am so pleased that I decided to try this product once again!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Blondebeauty2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an ok toner! When I'm out, I will probably purchase others to try them but still would like to use this one too. I've been using it since the summer, so going on at least 6 months now. I still have half of the bottle & I use it every night after my Clarisonic. I haven't noticed it drying my skin out at all. I have oily to combo skin. When I started using this in the summer months(when I'm more oily), I did notice that it helped control my oil some. I haven't noticed a difference in my pores at all but after I use it my skin does feel nice & smooth. This is definitely a nice toner & very reasonably priced!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2013 1:49:00 AM More reviews by Dmmeyer4

This toner dried out my skin badly, and after a week had me if breaking out terribly. In the case of a toner I'm looking for something much more gentle. This toner was very harsh

rated 3 of 5 on 11/19/2013 4:40:00 AM More reviews by veelui

update,the toner works fine, i only use it on my forehead and nose. i poured it out into a travel sized bottle and after a day or 2, they are salt crystals along the opening pour spout are. i guess the sodium content is really high? i think its weird as ive never seen jt before

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by NATBEAUT

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a nice product. I wanted to buy the Alcohol Free Toner but the shop I was at ran out if it, so i bought this one instead. I was worried that the acids content would sting my sensitive dry face, but it never did so far, it is very gentle and refreshing. I use this only night and when I wake up in the morning my skin is looking fresh and glowy, not sure if it is thanks to this toner particularly but so far my regime is working well for me.
Only complaint I have about this toner is that it doesn't apply smoothly, I feel like i am dragging the cotton across my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/30/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This isn't horrible, but I cannot recommend it.

-1- The concentration of acids seems very weak. I realize it's an OTC product available from any drugstore, but still. All you feel is the alcohol going to work - not the glycolic acid or SA.
-2- I am fine with some alcohol in products, but I feel this one has a bit too much unless you're quite oily or are specifically looking for a toner that will assist in the cleansing process.
-3- It didn't help with my acne, and my sense is it might have made it worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Rachel15makeupqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this product! Definitely will be buying again!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by baronchow

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've got sensitive, combination, break-out prone skin.

This is a great toner. Fresh, cool (slightly "alcoholy") on application. Does not overdry my skin.

Has helped heal and reduce the redness of any breakouts. And yes, the surface of my skin looks better.

I use it twice a day.

When my skin is 'active', this works really well after night cleansing with NO other product on my face. Next day, my face looks better.

Had used before ... then tried others ... now this is a keeper and holy grail for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by MUJunkette

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Okay - I'm an old broad, (62) have always had oily skin and during my 40's developed cystic acne which resulted in my doctor prescribing Accutante. While the 6 month Accutante treatment helped, my skin has continued to break out periodically.

After spending tooooo much time in the skin care aisle and reading entirely tooooo many labels, I purchased Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. I've been on the fence about toners - some dermatologists say to use them, others say they provide no true benefit.

What intrigued me about this product is that it contains Glycolic Acid (AHA) and Salicylic Acid (BHA) which I had read were beneficial for clear skin. What sealed the purchase was the product was on sale, I had a coupon, so it cost me less than $5.00. Such a deal that I couldn't refuse!!!

I started using the product that evening after removing my makeup with Cetaphil. I applied the toner with a cotton ball, gently wiped my face, let it dry, applied eye cream (A MUST HVE FOR MY AGE! ) but no other product on my face. The next morning my face felt fine - not tight or dry - but soft. Most surprising was the breakout on my nose and the few around my hairline were less red. Using Cetaphil to wash my face, I again applied the toner, let it dry, put on my sunscreen and went about my day. This continued to be my routine and after just one week - I was stunned at the difference in my skin: clear, no breakouts, yet soft and smooth. I stopped using the toner for a week and a few breakouts appeared.

Needless to say, this is now part of my daily routine. The only difference is that I have since added a moisturizer in the evening. As this has been my routine for over a year, I can honestly say my skin is clear, smooth and soft. This product works and does what it says: "visibly reduces the appearance of pores and refines skin to be clear, smooth and more even toned."

Because the product contains Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids, the label does advise using a sunscreen, but who doesn't use a sunscreen/sunblock anyway? I am VERY fair - have never had a tan in my life - and have had no problems.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No