August 30, 2014 | 1748 users online

Powder - Kanebo - Total Finish

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2013 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Jennytherese

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Blue

I am very on the fence when it comes to this.

I got this because of the coverage (which is amazing (I got the compact for the powder as well and applied it with the sponge that followed)), but the colour TF203 Natural Beige is a complete disaster for me. In the store it made me look ok, but when I can out in broad daylight I found it to be too dark and unnaturally brown/tanned for me.

Total bummer since I found it to be quite pricey; 495 NOK which converts to about 83 USD.

I may try other shades, but am currently very happy with the powder I have replaced it with - MAC Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in the colour light plus (which also is much cheaper - 270 NOK // approx. 35 USD)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2012 5:50:00 AM More reviews by Sternchen991

This will have to be my HG everyday foundation. I first bought it about 4 years ago and although I have tried many foundations (Mac, Lancome, Chanel) since and I have always come back to the Total Finish. I also have the matching liquid foundation for occasions where I just want to look a bit more "perfect" but for an everyday basis I find that most liquid foundations make me break out more. This powder foundation is non-comedogenic which means it does not block the pores and even when I use it daily I rarely break out.
At the moment (winter) I am using the colour TF203 Natural Beige. For people who are not familiar with this foundation it might seem a bit chalky and off colour at first when you apply it but you will see that within minutes it will somehow "melt" into your skin and blend wonderfully, leaving your skin looking naturally nice and even. I winter when my skin is rather dryish I like to use a good gel based moisturizer and if needed some concealer before applying the foundation. Although it is a powder foundation I don't find it drying at all and it also has a nice, i would say, build able medium coverage. Last time I went to get a refill the sales assistant recommended using a water spray, spray toner or anything of that sort to set the foundation even better, which I found to be absolutely brilliant!!!

In summer, when I am a bit more tanned, I use colour TM05 Cinnamon Beige which is the True Matte version. Especially in summer when my skin is quite shiny this works wonders. It really keeps my face matte for most of the day and is easy to reapply throughout.

Application: First I used to apply the foundation with a fluffy powder brush but in the recent year I switched to the Kanebo Sensai sponge. I never used to like sponges but this powder really does work best when applied with a sponge and the sponge it comes with is just great! It feels really good on the skin and applies the foundation evenly. With the brush I never used to get the coverage that I do now and I feel like it wasted a lot of product in the long run. Just make sure to wash your sponge!!! For that reason I keep to sponges so that I always have a clean one while the other one is being washed and air dried.

Bottom Sentence: Yes the whole package is really pricy (like all Kanebo Sensai products) but once you buy the case you can buy endless refills and it will last you years and years (mine is now in its 5th year of use and still sturdy). Also the foundation is just one of the best out there and worth the money!!!

EDIT: Today I realised that I forgot to wash my sponges so I just used a flat foundation brush and it worked wonderfully. It gives lighter coverage than the sponge but it looked GREAT!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 5:46:00 AM More reviews by annakandy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love love love this foundation!!!!!! trick is how u apply this foundation. When i first purchase it, i tried brush,nope. i tried pad on with a sponge,nope. finally i try it with a sponge, spread it out, i mean spread it out instead of pad on ur face like how we would normally apply powder. woola beautiful finish dew fresh, great coverage yet looks like ur own skin. i think the trick is the spread with a sponge,that skin warm up the product while u applying. any way never give me trouble since. keep in mind, it's dewy finish powder foundation. my skin is normal to oily combination. so the lotion in front of the powder really effect the powder's performance. summer days, i can even skip the toner and lotion. hopefully, it helps to make someone get this powder to work. let me know if it worked out for you.:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE 08.15.2012:
I actually wear this all over my face now. The colour TF202 is about an N20. Better suited for drier skins because it makes even my dry skin kinda oily. The good thing is that it hasn't broken me out, although my skin is very sensitive. n general, when I have days when my skin is very irritated, this is what I use. I haven't noticed any increase in clogged pores. I have noticed it gives a white cast in flash photos. I would give this a little less than 4 if I could. Stay on well during the day.
END OF UPDATE.
Doubting I'll ever manage to use it as I was planning to: as a powder foundation all over my face... there is 99% product left. 12 grams of product looks like quite a lot BTW - I would estimate you could use it at least 4 months every day, but probably more.
The colours of this are... not good - they are, like the Fluid Finish foundation, either orange or pink. Or pink orange. At least where I live. The lightest, most yellow (still orange) colour was TF202, and it's still too orange. I would say it should fit a MAC N20/NW20. If I apply in a very thin layer, it's OK, but I can't really cover much like that.
My biggest annoyance was not the colour, but the finish of this powder. I have dry skin, and this makes me look oily and almost wet... I wish I could say "glowy", but no, it looks like my face is melting off. You may know how some foundation can look kinda like clay - this one looks like that. My skin feels moist all the time wearing this - it seems to be unable to dry. Because of this, I think it's better as a bronzer on the cheeks for me, because I'm more dry there.
The powder also highlights my pores quite easily, and my pores are quite small! This was something I also saw with the Fluid Finish foundation (also from Kanebo). I don't know what in the formula does this, but I don't like it: it makes my skin look rough. For evening out my skin-texture this does the opposite of BB cream. I also can't seem to work this enough into my skin (which btw isn't really a good thing to do) - my pores remain 'circled' around. The powder also can easily look caky if not applied very thin, and even then it may still look caky.
The coverage is light-medium, I would say, else it gets caky, so I wouldn't biuld it up to full. It covers redness, and with a precision brush you can even cover dark marks.
I won't buy this again, and rated it 3 because it's not good for the price. I don't know if I can recommend this to anyone. I dislike some products, but still can recommend them because they may be good for other people, but I don't think this can look as what *I* call good on anyone. Maybe just if you actually need very little coverage and just lightly dust it over your face. Should've tried Total Finish Cellular Performance instead... well well, maybe after the summer vacation, which is the next time I will have money to spend on makeup.
Good things: very little transferring as I've noticed, my sensitive skin seems to not react on this, long lasting. I use this under my eyes, where the blueness is especially visible. I don't have fine lines there, so this looks good. It seems like this melts when it gets on my skin. The weird thing is that it creases very little. So, I will continue to only use this on my dark circles because, amazingly, it doesn't dry the eye-area out.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2012 1:25:00 AM More reviews by aliahash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to use this product years ago and then stopped and switched to Sheisido, recently i had been in the mood to change my foundation again (although i am still in love with my Sheisido - Sheer Matifying Compact in i60 reference im a MAC NC 37-40).

Upon repurchasing this product in Almond Beige i was excited to try it the next day, needless to say i recalled why i had given up on this product when i had... it gets oily, it had this white residue look (probably because of the SPF i dont know) and it starts to shift!

never again will i move away from my Sheisido! after all the reviews i read i expected this to exceed my expectations.

dont bother purchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2011 11:01:00 AM More reviews by villblomst

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation powder has a really good coverage. I have used this for years.. It deserves the best reviews in my upinion..
Allthough now I am 36 years old I would like to go over to liquid foundation from kanebo insted. That is becuase compact foundations have a tendensy to make small smiley wrinkles around the eyes and mouth. and I have dry skin..

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2011 7:42:00 PM More reviews by BunnySlippers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this product daily, and am already using my 4th refill.

I have medium brown skin and use Amber Beige or Almond beige.
What I like about this range is the variety of colours. It really can be hard to find a good powder for medium brown skin since a lot of brands tend to have a extensive range for lighter skin, and one or two for the darker skin which tend to be too dark. Really annoying.

In winter I use a sponge for application, it gives a good coverage, gives me some colour and evens out my skintone which tends to get very pale (yes even tinted girls can get a pale unhealthy look) and uneven. It feels velvetty smooth, but can look cakey if applied to thick or in the wrong lighting. I have combination skin, with an oily t-zone but very dry skin elsewhere. A big con is that I sometimes have flaky skin in winter and it gets really noticeable if you apply powder over it, since it can be quite drying.

Love the casing, with the separate compartment for your sponge, very hygienic. Plus no unnecessary packaging due to the refills.

In summer I apply this with a brush for a more natural look. I know it is a foundation powder, but I actually use it as a setting powder over EL daywear sheer tint or my foundation. 'It gives my face something extra, and when applied lightly with a brush it doesn't get cakey. Plus, I can't seem to find a irridiscent powder for my skintone, since they always leave a white-ish talc-y sheen on my skin.

Pro's:
- wide range of colours (also for the (medium) brown ladies!)
- good coverage
- velvety smooth

Con's:
- The price
- CAN be cakey and drying (especially during winter of when your skin gets lighter or more tan due to the weather)
- With oily skin and/or hot weather the staying power isn't very long, you really need to reapply during the day.

I will buy this product again, since I haven't found a better one which matches my skintone, and when applied right is does give a natural look with good coverage. Great for gals wo hate the feel of liquid foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2010 8:34:00 AM More reviews by sueeshaq

I totally love this foundation is such a good coverage and looks silky smooth on the skin been using it for years now ,, but make sure u have a good primer kanebo has ib i think its called its a great one, i use from benefit and the foundation looks so good on me after primer even though i got combination skin >>!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2010 1:39:00 PM More reviews by annakimla

I find this product a bad match for my oily skin. It looks impressive till 30 mins after application (on a primer). After that it seems to be causing an excessive oil production.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2010 4:09:00 PM More reviews by karaja

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This isn't a review of total finish powder foundation but a review of sensai cellular performance pressed powder becouse there isn't any review for this fantastic pressed powder.

I bought for the first time the powder compact Kanebo and finally I realized one of the reasons to support its very high cost!

It 'a very fine powder by far superior to powders Leclerc, which I have a large collection.

Although heavily dusted it don't become stratified, it don't become shriveled on the skin, keeps it at optimum hydration.

Although it contains some ingredients not satisfying the principles of eco-bio cosmetics, its composition appears to be carefully balanced, high-level formulations, much higher in samples of fine dust to any other high-end powder used by me.

The bad experience with funds Total finish powder Kanebo, they ache from high cost, has until now because of injury to the purchase of compact powder, which instead, in my opinion, is unrivaled in the market of high cosmetic .

The only color available seems to have been designed so that all skin tones can be illuminated, but not altered in the shade.

Initial concerns purchase.
Like any passionate about cosmetics, I have learned to exploit all available knowledge, both those completed with the study of accidents and the personal experience of that kind is made available to others such as, for example, authors of specialized texts, users of the web, cosmetics guru.

Although fully aware that the high-end cosmetics having an often high and highest quality marketing operation rather than scientifically proven efficacy of the treatments being advertised, so not always be with respect to product lines make up, where truly the formula makes the difference not only about the cost, but especially in terms of effectiveness on the skin, especially on skin that is surely set to become mature.

Mature skin needs attention primarily on the use of makeup, the foundation must be of first order, that is very high emollient, allow for proper hydration, contain antioxidants.

Not least to be the powder, if using it.

The powders made of starch, although valuable, may be fertile ground for bacterial cultures, certainly not like where it is customary to make up the skin during the exfoliation routine;
Furthermore, these powders in the composition which have a certain amount of zinc oxide may result in a mild form of dehydration because they can "dry" more than necessary, especially during the season of cold weather, as often happens to me when I use powders formulation with the ingredients named above.

Furthermore a dusting powder which, although plenty has the side effect of wrinkling of the skin over the years has been an impossible task attempted in all segments of the market from that of the drugstore to those of high perfumery.

But as passionate about cosmetics and especially as a woman who begins to feel the changes that involve the skin the pressure of time, relentless, even in respect of those who have always had oily skin and I have continued to not give up the intention, experimenting and experiencing and recognizing the experience is not always reading an inci can be enlightening if you are not able to assess the synergy of ingredients, ingredients and how to order and then molecules weight can influence the effectiveness of the same, as I am not able to do, because non-specialist in the field.

I learned how to assess the necessary precautions also the reviews of makeup guru, which is not always found to be sincere, impartial and competent to judge sometimes shades of colors used in makeup.

And so, after many attempts, after the monetary disbursements not always gone to a successful conclusion
I decided to also try the product in respect of which I have always nurtured not only injury but more numerous doubts . I had to think again, because the effect arising after the abundant dusting of powder profuse on the face makeup to make them less visible exfoliation in place, caused by the use of vitamin C + glycolic acid, has dispelled all doubts and prejudices, which had prevented over the years, the testing of this product: no accentuation of desquamation albeit small, even the powder had the result in greater cohesion of the scales.

The loose version for me has not been effective on the other hand the line belongs to the free cell line is not the performance that owns the rather compact.

The clerk, in fact, prepared a sample of the loose powder, that I got to try plenty of home. Well, the loose powder does not have the same composition of the compact cell line performance and is not dissimilar in effect to those of other brands, which, though valuable, are not morbibe be highly effective, non-dusty like the pressed powder of Kanebo.