September 16, 2014 | 1890 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Cool Effect Eye Color

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2011 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ok i hate to give bad reviews but when a product sucks it sucks what can i say but this product isnt too bad but not what i expected or what i like to use.
=PRICE & AVAILABILITY=
These pencils must be being discontinued or most stores are taking them away bc i use to see them everywhere but not no more & ive read others cannot find them either. I use to see these at drugstores like CVS, Walgreens & Rite Aid as well as some Target & Walmart stores. It may depend on your area on price & availability. I think they are sometimes expensive but run around $3-6 depending on sales/discounts/location I think they are worth a few dollars but not over $5 at all.
=SHADE FORMULA PERFORMANCE=
These come in a few different shades most neutral tones. I have a few of them andsome are great while others are really bad. I have found a way to salvage them- i depot them into a jar & mix them with a bit of my eye primer & a dab of a silicone based face primer. it helps to soften them up to blend more & not be too cakey or thick. I like them depotted w/ my little recipe but on their own some are really hard & unable to go on w/ much color while other shades are a nice creamy soft pencil. These Cool Effects Pencils are cream shadow pencils. They have a shimmer to them which isnt too bad & the cooling effect is weird. i do notice that they feel cool on the skin but almost immediately dissipates. As i said the formula is differnent of each shade it seems. Some pencils are too hard or dry (maybe they are old& i got bad ones?) while a few are creamy & soft enough to go on well. The hard ones pull & tug & barely any color shows up. & blending is nearly impossible so any powder shadows on top show up being a cakey mess & looks awful while others go on like a jumbo pencil they glide on & blend very nicely into a layer that provides a nice base for powder shadows to go on top of. The formula is rather inconsistent & i know they can be better. So i have mixed reviews on these since i love & hate them at the same time. So if you get one thats creamy & smooth then great. If you have a hard pencil try my little recipe, it works. So ive found a way to make these work & i do use them alot. Make great bases for my shadows to stick too, adds texture & makes them stay long! They could be used as liners if not as cream bases. They do have almost a kohl pencil formula.
=PACKAGING=
I love the pencils! it makes them super easy to use & put on so great for beginners & anyone. The pencils are a little smaller than a jumbo pencil. Theyre wooden so it makes sharpening them easier than say the jumbo pencils that are plastic. The cream inside sometimes separates & slips out since its loose i think from being so dry. the creamier ones arent like that. so if you do find them in the store, there is a plastic wrap around it, i suggest shakin it bc you will hear if the actual cream part has separated in the plastic caps. The cap matches what shade the pencil is. I have tried sharpening these & they do fit in the bigger sharpeners that Elf has thats $1 but you will lose some product. So these are def a hit or miss. The pencil is a metallic gray with black writing. Shade name is on pencil. Its sturdy & can fit in any pocket or bag for on the go application.
Overall, these can be great or horrible. I may have gotten bad or out of date ones since i do live in a small town & im sure they keep makeup on the shelf longer than what they should since i know a few ive bought are nice & soft. It may be the shades or formula. They do make great liners though & do have great shades to pick from!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Poptimist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First of all, it does nothing in the way of cooling, but thats not what i got it for anyway. I have it in 05, cold as ice, a shimmery/glittery white. I like the shade a lot. It does work as an eyeshadow but goes on more sheer than I hoped for. Unlike the other reviewers here, I did not have a problem with the application. It is creamy and goes on smoothly.

My biggest complaint is that it does not work as an eyeliner, at least on the waterline. The slightest bit of moisture wipes it all off. I would recommend the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil instead. Its much more pigmented.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2011 4:20:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

Just gross I have had several of these - sticky mess which balls up and just looks awful and too much glitter. Cheap and nasty

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Layni1006

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this in Pixie Peach, and it sucks. I didn't even realize just how much it sucked until I got the Cover Girl CGSmoother pencils and they are just way way better. Maybe I got a bad one? The color is fine, very light and frosty, but the shadow is very hard so I would have to warm it first on my hand and then really press in. The pencil was hard to sharpen; the shadow would break of in the sharpener all the time. Then I opened the cap the other day and the whole core of the pencil fell out, landed on the floor, and broke. Granted, I did not pay very much for this, a couple of bucks at most, but still, I would stay away from these.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2011 4:20:00 AM More reviews by babybaby2009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have worn this product in midnight chill for e v e r! Its my signature liner, I love it and always get compliments on it! I hope the never disco this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 8:46:00 PM More reviews by michelley2231

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using using this color sticks for years. They are great to use as a thicker, fail proof eyeliner. I wouldn't buy them as a substitute for the NYX Jumbo sticks because they don't blend the same.

I think that they NYX Jumbo pencils have a tendency to crease easily - but these do not at all.

I would recommend:
* On the Rocks (which is my fave!)
* Sugar Plum Ice (great for a cranberry eye)
* Blizzard Brown

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2010 12:43:00 AM More reviews by blooicee

I had this in snow bunny, a frosty white shade. I only used this to highlight my inner corners, but since it had pretty large white glitter, I would think that it would be too gritty for all over eyeshadow. It never irritated my eyes, but I did deduct lippies since it was so obvious due to the glitter, and wasn't very smooth (it would sometimes clump together and need me to smooth it out even though i only used it for a small area).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 11:23:00 PM More reviews by nanaxsora

I absolutely love this, I have it in Chilled to the Bone.
But am I the only one who finds this impossible to sharpen...?

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2009 11:58:00 PM More reviews by StrawberryViking

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use the color "Snow Bunny" to lighten the area around my eyes to hide my puffiness, and sleepiness. The color really helps and the cooling effect is nice. A major complaint I have is that the color breaks off the pencil very easily, which can make me go through these things like wildfire. Also, sometimes the sharp wooden edges of the actual pencil pokes my eyes very often. I do wish that they could improve on this, but the effectiveness of the product makes it somewhat worthwhile

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2009 9:48:00 PM More reviews by myluckypenny

These eye crayon products were what gave me my signature look since high school. I would draw it on in blocks or lines where I want the color, then use my finger to smudge/smear for a blended look. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy. It was easy for my old tomboy self to handle, and it wasn't so intimidating because I did not need brushes. I used "Steely Gaze" and "Black Frost" for my smokey eye look, and I loved it. I also liked the "cooling" effect because it helped the puffiness in my eyes when I lacked sleep from partying/studying/working. I've tried all the colors, but nothing really popped out except for the two colors I mentioned above. I hated the fact that the color would fall out of the pencil, and I especially hated having to sharpen the thing all the damned time. Because the color would receed into the pencil when pressure was applied, I had scratched myself numerous times trying to apply with the sharpened wooden edges of the pencil.

I started to tire of the same smokey eye look I'd had for YEARS, and all of a sudden... drug stores stopped carrying the line. I was shell-shocked. I never thought the day would come where I would live long enough to see a staple product of mine discontinue. I found a site that still sells them online for about $3 a crayon [which is WAY cheaper than what it retailed for] here:

As tempted as I am to stockpile this, I realized that rubbing my makeup on my eyes with my finger was starting to age my eyes. I've since switched over to using brushes for shadow application and moved onto MAC shadows. The one thing I will miss for sure is being able to tell everyone I was able to achieve a MAC look with cheapo eye shadow crayons from Walgreens.