April 17, 2014 | 1885 users online

Cleansers - L'Occitane - Shea Butter Extra Gentle Cleansing Milk

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by misscoutureland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Have really been enjoying this cleanser. Personally I need to use water on my skin so I like to apply this to dry or wet skin (although on dry it removes foundation better) and then rinse off with water. The cleanser if very thin and doesn't feel like it it cleaning your face but I was surprised how well it removed a full face of foundation. I went over with a toner after and hardly anything was left.
It also leaves my dry skin feeling really nice and soft.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by coppersnowflake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my second bottle and am quite pleased with this cleanser. Currently, I'm adhering to a no-water method of facial cleansing based on the idea that over-washing strips down facial oils and in turn, the face produces more oil, etc. I'm also steering clear of tap water on the face, as the extra additives in it can be harsh to the skin. For me, this extra-gentle cleanser has done the trick. I slather it on, wipe off with cotton pad and repeat as necessary. Yes, it does leave a thin film on the skin, but I love that because I rarely need to moisturize now. I have fair, acne prone skin and this has not caused me any irritation or break-outs. Quite the opposite, actually.

All of this being said, if you wear a lot of makeup, this may not be the product for you. I wear minimal eye makeup and a very sheer base and it's takes 2 or 3 applications to remove it. If you're obsessed with that squeaky-clean feeling after you cleanse, this probably won't be your cup of tea either.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Aether

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A great cleanser - as others have mentioned, the only problem is that it can feel like you haven't removed it all (a filmy feel), but I'm pretty sure a stronger toner would do the trick (I use their fresh face water, which is quite thick and 'soft' - hardly the watery, stinging, paint stripping stuff I've used from other lines). Even when I've had that filmy feeling after using this, the fresh face water then their (very thick) 24 hour cream I haven't had any breakouts whatsoever - in fact, I don't think I've had any spots (apart from those time of the month ones) in the month or so I've been using these products. I guess the film is shea, and is maybe helping the skin? Maybe it's just getting my head around it and this is what a good cleanser should do, as opposed to literally stripping everything off the top of my skin! As several other reviewers have mentioned washing this off is an easy solution and leaves you with fabulously soft skin with no film.

My skin looks great - it drinks up the shea in these products. Very gentle cleanser, excellent for sensitive skin - other brands have left me with chemical burns, and I've had no reaction whatsoever to this line.
I've not had a problem with this removing my makeup, and I wear a fairly heavy duty one (Double Wear) to hide my malar rash. On the first application of toner, I have a very faint hint of makeup on the pad - barely anything, and probably due to me missing a spot! When using a second, it's completely make up free.

If I'm washing this off I only need one pump to remove everything - If I'm not I use two, maybe three. I have found that using this in conjunction with my 24 hour cream has really lessened the redness of the rash - a miracle! If you have roscea or similar, it may be worth trying a sample.

Personally I adore the smell - soft, milky, comforting. Lovely. The simple packaging looks great too, and it's great to be able to see what's left. Quite expensive for a cleanser, but well worth it if you are struggling to find a product that doesn't make your skin feel red and sore.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by tulipswallow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have not written a review in many months, as I had started feeling as if most products out there were more of the same in different, more expensive packaging. So something would have to be pretty special to break my hiatus. This cleanser is really something special.
I recently had a horrific experience with a chronic, systemic, environmental allergy. I am still not sure what set it off, but we are talking about several weeks of uncontrollable body-wide hives, several steroid shots, mega-doses of prednisone and anti-histamines. And hyper-sensitivity to virtually every cosmetic, bath, and laundry product I owned. Apart from the hives, I had a bright red mask on my face that itched and burned, felt hot to the touch, and not a single product could touch my face without causing even more irritation, even welts. It was any make-up junkie's worst nightmare. I got to the point that I could not even tolerate TAP WATER on my face. had to rinse my face with distilled water, and stay out of the spray of the shower.
While the docs worked to get the allergy under control, I searched high and low for products for hyper-sensitivity. "Hypo-allergenic" took on a whole new meaning for me, and I can tell you that most of the products that make such claims are not talking about hyper-sensitivity. I found a few things that I could tolerate, but found that I was getting the bare minimum ... if a product was gentle enough to be tolerated, it didn't do much in the way of cleansing or treating.
Along came L'Occitane Extra Gentle Cleansing Milk. I was skeptical, but gave it a shot, and wow. I have been using for several weeks now, and I am a convert. I started off using it without water, as it is specifically designed for those with tap water sensitivity. As my allergies abated, I found myself gradually starting to rinse this ... seemed to be the natural progression of things. So I have used it both ways, and it works beautifully both ways, but I must admit I feel cleaner if I rinse. But the really wonderful thing about this, is not only is it completely tolerated by my hyper-sensitive skin, but my skin has IMPROVED drastically! My pores are tiny! My shiny, oily skin is matte and clear all day. I look 5 years younger, and it's only been a few weeks. I am starting to use the entire line and I have not been this excited about any product, let alone a skin care line, ever.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2010 8:59:00 PM More reviews by dreamlandlover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is nice for dry skin, because it feels a bit like a lotion when you use it. You can use it as an eye-makeup remover as well, though I'm not sure it's strong enough to take off water-proof makeup, or foundation. I would use it in the morning...though I can't anymore, because someone threw it out :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2009 8:58:00 PM More reviews by MauraLynn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very soothing, and an extremely gentle product on the face.This is a milk cleanser, meaning that it will not foam. It doesn't strip away the natural skin barrier from the face like most other foaming cleansers do for me, leaving my skin dry, itchy and tight, nor does it leave my skin sticky and oily, like what most oil cleansers do to me.

I have tried a variety of cleansers, and this seems to be the right one for my dry, sensitive and acne prone skin. I am extremely happy because not only do this product cleanse well, it also does not have the extra junk such as colouring and fragrance, present in most other facial cleansing agents. My face feels clean, moisturized and refreshed after using this product.

For me, a few pumps are enough to cleanse my face, though I don't really wear that much makeup to begin with. Anyone with sensitive skin should consider trying this product out.

I should probably mention that along with the shea butter hand moisturizer, this product is one of my favourites among L'Occitane.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2009 3:54:00 PM More reviews by pinkydinkydo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought this on a whim while shopping for a gift for a friend. I had been using Kinerase's cleanser, and noticed that the foaming cleansers are no longer for me apparently. So I decided to give L'Occitane a whirl. First, understand that this stuff does NOT FOAM, so if you are looking for that kind of cleanser this will not be it. Second, I only need a few pumps, spread it around on my face and splash it off with some water. Done. Not drying, not heavily perfumed, not a bunch of junk in it. My face feels clean but not stretched and dry like I get from foaming soaps/cleansers. The bottle is a little awkward as it's a klunky shape, but the pump works well, no need to use a ton of this stuff to get clean, and I don't end up either too dry or too oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2008 11:23:00 AM More reviews by prettyyplease

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use a small amount of this as a moisturizer since it's a non-rinse cleanser. One of the best things i've ever done for my skin! It gives a really fresh, soft moisture. Perrrfection!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by rsm1309

Very gentle cleanser, with a light non-offensive fragrance. Extremely kind to skin - I had no break outs or dry patches whatsoever whilst using this - a first for me! I prefer to rinse it off, rather than wipe with a tissue or cotton wool, and if you wear heavy make-up you may need to do two cleanse/wash cycles to get skin really clean, but the bottle is huge so it wouldn't be cost prohibitive to do so. When it ran out I switched to a Clarins cleanser and almost immediately had spots and flaking come through on my chin, as well as dullness and enlarged pores. Needless to say, I've immediately ordered another bottle of the L'Occitane cleanser from eBAY and won't be switching again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2008 12:59:00 PM More reviews by moorkitty

So far, I am really liking this product. I am 51, but have always had combo oily skin tending towards acne and could not find a milky product that did not exacerbate breakouts. This is working wonderfully for the winter, I use two pumps in the morning on dry skin, massage in and rinse with warm water, rather than tissuing off as they recommend. Mind you, this may prove to be too moisturizing for the summer and only time will tell. It is a very gentle product with a non-offensive neutral scent. It does not take off my heavy makeup very well, so at night I am using a cleansing oil followed with a regular cleanser if I wear makeup that day. I like the portable plastic container with the re-sealable pump dispenser, great for travelling.