August 21, 2014 | 1507 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:49:00 PM More reviews by laurabelle0202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Pros, this doesn't break me out. Which is a miracle in itself. However, I feel that my skin gets dry and flakey during the day when using this. I have combination skin, and the areas where I'm flaking aren't in my usual dry zones. So I'm a bit confused. I think this lotion needs more moisturizing properties. I'm using a travel size I swapped for, I'm not sure if I will buy.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by kitsunec4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

This sunscreen is my daily sunscreen for the following reasons: little to no fragrance, excellent packaging and pump that dispenses as much as needed, spf30 is about what I need, and lightly moisturizing enough that my combination skin can wear this in the summer.

I will say that since my combination skin trends towards dryness in winter, this alone is not enough, an additional moisturizer is sometimes necessary. Still, for me this product absorbs pretty nicely, and what bit of chemical smell there is disperses pleasingly quickly. So this is a product that people looking for something as unscented as possible might want to grab a sample of to try.

In the US, this product is $42 for 1.7 oz of product, meaning it is ~$24/oz of product. Yes, this is expensive. However, the packaging and the very precise pump means that I hardly ever waste any product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by alina08

This sunscreen was okay, but I am really not into chemical sunscreens and the price is a bit absurd for only SPF 30 coverage. The packaging is very hygienic and the .5 oz one is portable (great for the beach), but nothing to talk about. It is one of the less greasy sunscreen options out there, but I still prefer L'Occitane's Brightening Shield (albeit the price is steep).

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2013 5:34:00 PM More reviews by theman

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 5.0%, Meradimate 5.0%, Oxybenzone 3.5%, Avobenzone 1.0%
Rating: PA++; PPD 4.4
Consistency: thickish lotion
Fragrance: light sunscreen smell
Finish: Looked nice on my face - not too shiny, not too matte, but my hands left greasy marks on everything I touched
Wear: A little shiny after a 9-hour day, but not more so than usual for me.
Gym: Did not sting eyes
Notes: Bonus points for this dispensing in pump form

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2013 3:05:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not a favorite of mine at all. Very greasy feeling versus a moisturizing effect. I happen to like a number of PTR's products, but it seems they are either a hit or miss, and never in-between.
I bought this in a package of PTR's products, the others a good sampling of products I did enjoy. If you can find his products in boxed sets, they're usually good deals and excellent ways to test his products. The sizes are also very fair.
What I did not like about the All Day Moisture Defense Lotion was its general greasiness and heaviness. A product like this type of sunscreen for my face should not be this thick and gooey. I would much prefer a matte finish and a slicker lotion. This is not. I felt I had to powder my face afterwards to tone down the shine.
As far as its sunblocking properties, it worked well enough for my pale skin. I won't be using the rest on my face, though. I'll just use what's left on my body instead.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/23/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by cmaniezzz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think none of PTR products work for me :( I wanna like this moisturizer but it CLOG my pores. Everytime I use this, after I took off my make up, I always find bumps on my face. Good thing they didn't turn into acne/pimples, but the next morning my face always feels gritty, not smooth at all. At first I thought it was my foundation. So I stop using it for a week, my face become smooth again, then I tried this product again because I feel I really need good SS since the weather is getting really hot. And there they are, after I took off my make up that night, I found bumps all over my face again. So I have to say good bye to this. I tried Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch. It really makes my skin smooth and soft by the end of the day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 8:18:00 AM More reviews by badkitty82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this as a sunscreen and I think the product is great, probably among the better sunscreen products I have tried for the face.
It is light, but moisturizing. No scent - which is good because scented products in the face can be overwhelming. It is easy to apply and I never got sunburned when applying the product. Will buy again!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/24/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by swtxdreams

product is greasy after application. Used the whole bottle, product did not really improve.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For the price, this is a very mediocre product. I currently live in the arctic circle and needed a moisturizing sunscreen. Maybe this works as a sunscreen, but it's way too light as a moisturizer, even if I were to live in a warmer place. What I really needed is a nice, thick moisturizer that I could wear under my Dr. Jart's BB. I've found PTR products to be either very good or very mediocre. The only thing good about it is that it's very lightly scented.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 3:07:00 PM More reviews by Lanolin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I received a box full of sample-sized sunscreen moisturizers and primers (Murad, Boscia, Philosophy, Smashbox, Supergoop, DDF, etc...) from a friend at Sephora Corporate and, to me, this was the standout product. I had been using Mary Kay Day Solution paired with the Time Wise Age Fighting Moisturizer for years and was tired of having to use 2 separate products (MK makes an all in one version but, eh, I wasn't in love with it.)

What I love about the PTR lotion:

1.) OIL-FREE! I'm not afraid of oil in my products but considering all of my foundations are water-based, oil-free moisturizers are important if I don't want my foundations to go sliding off my face by noon.

2.) It absorbs really well. Some of the other products I tried felt thick and greasy and affected my makeup. This one soaked in and worked well with makeup.

3.) The SPF works. Or at least as far as I can tell, it works. No burning. No freckle-darkening. No accidental tanning.

4.) It's the Goldilocks of moisturizers. Not too light, not too heavy, but just right for daily use.

5.) I want an "anti-aging" moisturizer and it says it is "anti-aging" with Allantoin (soothes and calms,) gingko biloba (Protects against free-radicals) and Vitamins A, C, and E (anti-oxidants.) Maybe I'm naive, but that's good enough for me.

6.) NO BREAKOUTS! Too bad I can't say the same for the other sunscreens I tried.

Out of all the products I tried in my generous sample box, this was the ONE I had to run out and buy when the sample was used up. I feel it is on the pricy side but this is a rare instance when I actually feel the extra money spent is totally worth it. I will definitely buy again.