August 1, 2014 | 1785 users online

Mascara - Beauty Without Cruelty - full volume mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 7:29:00 AM More reviews by Tabby80

Ok...I have joined Makeup Alley today in order to make this review. To cut a long story short I cannot believe how good this mascara is!! I love dramatic lashes and I can honestly say that I'm amazed at how long and luscious they look when I use this. Now, I have to apply a few coats to get the desired effect - that "wow her lashes are long, I wonder if they're false lashes" - look, but it'S worth the effort. My lashes look super long and with just the right amount of thickness but not clumpy, which is perfect. The other great thing is that this mascara doesn't smudge and leave mascara marks on my upper eyelids like pretty much every other mascara I have ever used. I am so glad I discovered this and no, I don't work for BWC!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2012 8:31:00 PM More reviews by june17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara is very thick, like a gel, but also very wet. When my eyes tear up like they sometimes do when I'm tired the mascara just goes everywhere, even with one coat. I can't wear it to work because it gets all over my face. On the plus side, it does make my lashes thicker.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/15/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by majasarajevo

This was actually the worse mascara I have ever used. I had high hopes for it since it is so expensive and has received such good reviews. It was dry, it hurt my eyes and was too thick. Just terrible!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by gardengypsy

I have been looking for a high quality mascara that also has no parabens or animal testing. After trying out the Physicians Formula organic masacra and finding it too flakey I moved on and bought this one from my local co-op. It's teensy more than I would usually spend but like I said it is hard to find these qualities in a nice mascara. I tried the brown, and it looks very natural but also accentuates my eyes well. No flaking and very little occurence of clumping. It is lacking the conventional preservatives so about 4-6 months after purchase I think a new one is in order. It starts to get a little thick. It does not thicken my lashes that much, but I don't want them to look like tarantula eyes anyway.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2011 2:15:00 AM More reviews by foe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have this in black and love it. Like so many others have said, this isn't a super-lengthening mascara like those crazy commercials for Cover Girl, Maybelline and whatnot. But when I do a side by side comparison with Estee Lauder or La Femme cake mascara - the only other two brands of mascara I own - I prefer the BWC for every day wear. It looks natural, adds a slight curl for my few wayward lashes and quite simply makes my eyes look pretty. I also find that BWC mascara separates the lashes well, no clumps which adds to that lovely but natural lashes look. The one downside is that you might need another mascara for nights out or more dramatic eye looks if that's your thing - so if you're looking to invest in a hg mascara, this may not be it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 1:54:00 PM More reviews by mago6ka

This is one of the best natural mascaras I've used so far.
It won't give you the effect of false lashes or anything crazy like this, but what it DOES is make your lashes look more define,glossy,healthy and pretty, without any irritations. I wear it every day and always get compliments on my "lashes looking so beautiful without make up",lol. When i need bold lashes i use Dior, which is great but also makes my eyes itch and red by the end of the day/nigh. If you want to try BWC mascara, get it on iHerb.com (they have the best price) use FIN864 code (doesn't expire) and get $5 off your first purchase. Great deal!

8 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2007 3:35:00 PM More reviews by sixxmum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I did a head on head comparison of 2 vegan mascaras, so I'll share both here, with BWC first (since that is the category)

Beauty Without Cruelty Full Volume Mascara:
This applies like a dream (nice and smooth) with no glumps or flakes. The wear seems to be fine, with no flaking or smudging. The downside is that it mostly just tints and separates the lashes, adding a jot of density. There isn't really any lengthening action, and it doesn't seem to add much of any curl (maybe a tiny bit). Overall, I would give this a below average rating as compared to "regular" mascara, and an average rating for vegan mascara. If you only need your lashes tinted, and aren't worried about length, it's probably a good choice.

Gabriel Cosmetics Mascara:
Overall, this mascara is fine. I'm not falling over with love. It doesn't flake or smudge. There isn't a ton of lengthening action, but it does do some and it curls as well. It's sort of dry and a little glumpy when you pull the wand out of the tube, and you definitely need to use a comb afterwards. I'm somewhat concerned how it will age. I would like it to be a bit "wetter" on application, if that makes sense. Overall, I would give it an average rating as compared to "regular" mascara, but somewhat higher than the other vegan mascaras I tried in the past that mostly just tinted the lashes.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2006 10:09:00 PM More reviews by amy212

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

My HG mascara has ALWAYS been rimmel extreme definition but having moved to colorado, rimmel is harder and harder to find so I wanted something to wear every day and save my rimmel for going out. This mascara is the only mascara past my rimmel that I would buy again and again. It is extremely nautral looking but gives me "better" lashes than without. I find it lengthing and darkening, not much in the way of volumn - but I don't really need that, and I find that normally volumn = clumps, but not here. I also love that I don't need to wipe the brush and can stroke the same area a few times with the brush without it getting gross (cg lash exact) or smear. For me its pefect and has really lessened the blow of my rimmel being sooo hard to find. To compair beauty to rimmel - rimmel coats EVERY lash perfectly and it looks natural but NOT if that makes any sense. I don't think it is very heavy feeling and come off easily with oil, but a lot of mascara comes off and its a bit messy when wiping it all away (not bad, I don't really mind) The beauty is very natural looking - really my lashes but better. Wearing rimmel I can get complements on my mascara, with beauty I get complements on my lashes, and beauty is a lot easier to clean up, very little mascara comes off my lashes and is a very easy to wipe away. The best thing about rimmel and beauty is that I don't need to worry about having oily lashes messing up the application. Most mascara won't wear well over oily lashes so I have to wipe them down before applying - but rimmel and beauty just applys without smearing or flaking and I LOVE that!!!!!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2006 5:30:00 PM More reviews by raeackerman

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in the waterproof version in black. My biggest pet peeve with mascara is clumps, which is almost always an issue with waterproof mascaras, but not this one!!! I hate looking like I have globs of mascara on. This one is very natural looking, no clumps, and is cruelty free! What could be better! This is definitely an HG for me. I will definitely repurchase this from my local health food store. Always buy local when you can!!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2006 7:10:00 PM More reviews by beaglebaileysmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

At last, a HG mascara. I've looked high and low. This one is it! "Full volume" is a little misleading, but I don't want that anyway. Full volume=clumpy! This is so smooth--it lengthens and separates wonderfully, no clumps, no smearing all day, and it CURLS my lashes (not just holds a curl, but adds curl by itself). Two coats gives the perfect look. Price is great, and on top of all that, it's vegan (no animal products or testing). My search is over, end of story.