Clairol Nice n' Easy -new formula

3.3

on 4/22/2015 3:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Review for Nice and Easy - SB2 Sunkissed.

I saw it at Target for $7 and was drawn in by the 3 colors in one marketing. I was hoping for something multidemential high lights and low lights not just flat orangey (John Frieda lately).

I needed to color just my dark gross roots and hide the white grey poking through at the temple which is even more noticable on the dark roots. I color every few weeks so I get to try out lots of box dyes.

Meah - will not repurchase for 3 reasons:
1 -OUCH it burned my scalp SO bad. I could barely last! This stuff is intense peroxide!
2- It's not tonal. Just flat orange. I can handle some warmth but I was hoping for more of a natural look. This screams dye job one shade. Not the trashiest I've had (Sublime Blonde) but not the best.
3. Not the holy grail I am searching for. I want something I can use a lot and not thrash my hair. This was damaging I will have to wait a bit to try my next experiment.

It did hide whites and fix roots (the goal) but this is just too bottled platinum blonde with pain for my age. Need something more subtle and not painful.

I'm constantly battling resistant greys, hot roots and my porous ends mean I have to be very careful with home colouring. My main concern is with evening out my overall dark brown colour without brassiness or black ends. I am normally happy with most of the L'oreal Preference dark brown shades but in the last few months I've instead opted for Nice n' Easy permanent in Medium Cool Brown or just plain old Medium Brown as I've used and been happy with the 24 washes version (though it only lasts 7 on me) and I figured if I don't leave the permanent version on too long although it will just blend in my greys rather than covering them completely, it won't give me hot roots or black ends. For a touch-up on greys you have to leave it on approx. 35 mins; for first-time colour on greys you leave it on for 45 mins. I opted to do my most visible greys first - temples and parting - then the rest of my roots except for the mid-lengths/ends which I left untouched until the final 10/5 mins; overall dyeing time 25/30 mins. This dye contains ammonia and stinks to high heaven. Hell, the first time I used it, it made my eyes smart, plus it burns the scalp more the longer you leave it on (afterwards I use some Aveda Scalp Remedy which always relieves any post-dye discomfort). I have armpit length hair and one box is just enough, although my hair is not thick. A colour deposit conditioner is supplied which I'm not too impressed with, having used the brilliant non-colour deposit ones supplied with the 24 washes, Preference and Colorsilk (C'silk's a dreadful dye though). The dye is fairly easy to wash out but the first time I realised I desperately needed a protein treatment as my hair absorbed water like a sponge afterwards, so I did an Aphogee treatment after a couple of days. Ever since that first use, I've been applying it mixed with an intensive conditioner on dyeing day and in between using protein treatments, intensive conditioner and oils. But on the days I dye, it always feels soft and looks shiny regardless. Many of my greys poke through again within two weeks but because I've suffered damage from over-dyeing in the past I use the Nice n' Easy every 5/6 weeks and in between I apply Adore Plus in a rich dark brown shade to jazz it up a bit. By the 4-week stage I'm desperate to cover my emerging greys properly rather than just blending them in, but bombarding my hair with vegetable dye and color deposit shampoo and conditioner helps me stretch out my dyeing sessions. Overall, a very good dye at a great price that suits my needs and has many more dark brown shades than Preference, albeit slightly less fashionable.

on 9/1/2013 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have use Clairol for years, I used the one with the tones in it, Medium Golden Blonde. It would come out a honey color, I loved it.
Recently the name changed to Natural Medium Golden Blonde. I used it and my hair is a mess, it came out very light blonde and the color did not cover my roots, in fact my 40% gray and my normal color all turned white..
I have used this for many year, I do not understand what happened, my hair looks horrible now
I will never use this color again, obviously they changed the formula

on 4/1/2013 9:34:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have tried almost every drugstore hair color Clairol, L'oreal, Revlon, also some at Sally's including their Ion brand.
I have dark blonde hair with blonde highlights (Natural brunette). I have to touch up my roots with a base color.
Nice n Easy is the best hair color hands down. Why?
The color on the box is the color I get, (No orange, I'm speaking to you Colorsilk). I used neutral light blonde by ION that had made my hair light brown instead and messed up my highlights.
It covers grays really well (okay I have a few)! It fades like every hair color, but it doesn't go brassy when it does. It doesn't dry my hair out and it's easy to apply. I leave it on for 50 minutes. (I use blondes #102, #104 range). It's Nice n Accurate!

on 7/26/2012 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Simply horrible. I remembered this hair dye from the last time I've dyed my hair which was about 2 years ago. I thought it would give my naturally dirty blond hair some dimention, so I have decided to use it. I really regret mu decision : the hair dye turned my hair ORANGE !!! Maybe Its the new formula that doesn't work for me but I certainly would never buy/recommend thin product again

on 4/20/2012 12:26:00 AM

I've been dying my hair for about 10 years now, and I do a full at home coloring ever 8 weeks or so. I have natural medium blonde hair, ash-neutral toned. I bought Nice N Easy shade 103A(natural medium beige blonde). I have used Nice N Easy in the past, but was very surprised when I dyed my hair today.
1) The smell was unbelievably strong, it stung my eyes and nose - I had to open up windows all over the house. I've never experienced this before with at home hair color.
2) My scalp burned SO bad, also something I'd never experienced before. I was very close to washing the dye out after a few minutes because the sting was so bad.
3) The formula was very thin and drippy.

I left the dye on for 25 minutes as recommended, and even after I washed the dye out and used the conditioner my hair smelled very strongly of chemicals. The only thing I like about the dye is my hair is quite soft and shiny, and the color is really nice and natural looking.

I would not buy this product again, simply because of the smell and the burn.

on 3/15/2012 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have never had any really good luck with Clairol hair color...the only exception being Natural Instincts. Nice and Easy totally ruined my hair when I used it, and I've been coloring for a long, long time now, both in the salon and for the past 10 years, at home.
This truly damaged my hair worse than any other hair color, and made my scalp itch and burn far worse than any other color, so I won't be repurchasing.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

A little bit about my hair:
-asian black/dark brown (previously dyed dark brown once w/ semi-permanent dye, almost no affect on hair though)
-long
-straight and super healthy

I used the color 112 Dark Auburn and lightened my base color slightly, but it gave me beaauuttifulll red/auburn streaks that were clearly visible in the sun. I have had sooo many compliments on my hair saying how pretty it looked on me, so I am very pleased.
I wasn't going for any drastic change and only wanted to amp up my old hair with some more dimension, and this color did just that for me :)

3 weeks in and the color has faded lighter in my opinion, and it is still so pretty. Will update at the 6 week mark (unless i redye just cause i find dying my hair fun)

My hair is still silky soft and i haven't noticed any serious damage to my hair.

Pros:
-easy to use (not drippy like other hair dyes i've used)
-did not sting
-excellent color :)
-there are always coupons for $2 off clairol products

Cons:
-smell (burned my nose and took a long time to get used to)
-absorbed super fast in roots, i started at the bottom of my hair and worked upwards, but i noticed that my roots were lighter than the rest of my hair (not extremely noticeable though)

Will absolutely continue to buy and can't wait to try out other colors!

on 3/6/2012 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I purchase this in SB 2 ULTRA LIGHT COOL SUMMER BLONDE.I'm reviewing The newer formula. I have used this product for some time now,oh say since my teens.I have used a few dyes in my life but always seem to come back to this one.when I heard they had changed the formula I was a bit skeptical and actually quite horrified. At first I didint like it but after several uses I actually love it now I get that fresh summery sunkissed like I just stepped out of malibu beach look,plus its not at all damaging I color my hair once a month.the box states it last 4 to six weeks,it does look fresh up until 3 weeks on mind and then I have to retouch on the fourth week. Overall I'm happy with this product its pretty pricey but its a good product.

on 12/7/2011 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

So. I bought Natural Medium Caramel Brown (118B) despite the horrific reviews on it (people's heads were turning orange.. red..) to give myself some natural, light brown highlights. My hair is a dark dark brown, on the edge of a soft black color. I was painting the stuff on and it wasnt that hard. The directions made it pretty straightforward as to what I had to do. The mixture wasn't as smelly as some people hyped it up to be and nor did it drip; it ws kinda like gel. Anyway, I painted the mixture on, balayage style. I waited about 35 minutes in total (10 more minutes than recommended). I kept checking my hair to see if it would suddenly turn bright red or orangey but neither happened and if anything, it looked like nothing was happening or going to be happening... So I reluctantly washed out the dye and used the conditioner (which is amazing by the way, it totally softens the hair, makes the hair REEALLYY shiny and gets rid of the chemical smell) When my hair was reasonably dried, I saw that while there was some FAINT coloring, it wasn't at all what I was looking for. The color on the box (in the back) wasn't even close to the color on my head. Mine was similar to a medium brown color but it was SO faint that I almost couldn't even tell the difference. Anyhow, there was no burning/dyed scalps.

In conclusion, it wasn't that bad. I think for those who have very very dark hair, if you're looking for something lighter, dont pick this. If you have light hair, beware of the infamous redness and orangeyness.

Popular Hair Color Products