The Body Shop Body Butter - Cocoa Butter

4.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Cyclopentasiloxane (Emollient), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Lanolin Alcohol (Stabiliser/Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), MethylPARABEN (Preservative), PropylPARABEN (Preservative), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colour), Yellow 5 (Colour)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This is both a habitual preference and a performance preference. I've been collecting Body Shop Body Butter tubs since a(well-meaning)ex-boyfriend started giving me them for every gift-giving occasion over the course of a three year relationship. More than ten years later, I'm still obsessed with a few certain scents- Cocoa Butter is my all time favourite, but I like Mango(so fruity and nice!), Shea, and Olive-and Papaya was wonderful, when it was available too. None of these are greasy or oily, and the formula has only improved over the years. All of the butters are vegetarian and, on me, leave a nice, light fragrance for an hour or so.

As with the shower gels--TBS and Ulta, now, are both having constant sales that make it really easy to stock up without spending an arm and a leg; full-price is not outrageous, though.

on 2/21/2015 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love this, mwah! It's my favorite of The Body Butters. The scent is so nice; I avoided The Body Shop for years because I just remember their lip glosses smelling like a group of mean girls in the 8th grade -- a fruity, floral mess. I also generally find the staff at these stores to be pretty snobby. (Thank god for on-line buying!) I still find many of their scents to be obnoxiously overpowering (looking at you, strawberry). But the cocoa body butter is very subdued and hydrating. I would recommend getting a few travel sizes if you want to try these out but don't live close to a store.

on 5/8/2014 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

These babies is just so luxurary by the smell <3

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm on my second or third tub of this product and I must say, this is an outstanding body butter. I discovered body shop's body butters about three years ago. Cocoa butter was not one that caught my attention in stores, but I eventually tried it for variety's sake. The key to success with this body butter has been my application method. I do not scoop product, rather I swipe my fingers across the top of the product, picking up about a half a tablespoon of product, and then I rub my hands together to warm up the cocoa butter and spread it around the palms of my hands for easy, even application. ---------------------------------------------- I tend to apply this at night after showering, which gives me soft, itch free skin until I take my next shower, but I have applied after a morning shower before I get dressed for the day and it works well for that too. If I do not moisturize my skin (in the fall, winter, or early spring) after showering, I get red, painful, inflamed patches of skin on my legs, usually my inner knees and thighs. This product heals that overnight. I also has a tendency to get what I suspect is kp on my arms (I was never diagnosed, so I don't want to say for sure that's what it is), and this product helps with my bumps as well. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The scent of the cocoa butter formula is very light. Much lighter than the shea butter, so if you're debating between the two, stronger fragrance desired go with shea butter, lighter fragrance preferred go with cocoa butter. I must add I think I prefer the formulation with cocoa butter over shea butter. The cocoa butter warms up more easily (poor grammar??) than shea butter and has more of a smooth texture over the very, very slight grainy texture of the shea butter. -----------------------------------------------------------I just found out, by using the qr codes on the back of the product that the mango body butter uses cocoa butter as it's moisturizing ingredient, so if you like the mango (which is amazing and smells like juicy awesomeness) you'll probably like the cocoa butter and vice versa. -----------------------------------------------------------Finally, I wanted to add that I appreciate the body shop's fair trade program. They give a lot of details about it, which shows me that they are being clear and transparent, so it's more likely that it's a good program (transparency and details are huge when trying to determine a charity's legitimacy). I know some disagree with the body shop's cruelty free status as they are owned by l'oreal, but that's not one of my requirements. I have repurchased the cocoa body butter and I will continue to do so for the excellent results, fair price (when on sale), and their fair trade programs.

on 11/6/2013 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Lovely stuff here! A little goes a long way. I received this as a gift but will be buying the next round. The Moringa smells floral but not cloying... Almost like an exotic gardenia. Perfect for slathering on dry feet and layering with socks. I'm a fan! Tons of delicious scents to choose from too. Check tjmaxx for a major discount or Ulta shops when you have a coupon.

on 11/5/2013 9:40:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I now have 6 body butters from The Body Shop, and sadly this is probably the only one I'd actually repurchase. The scent, while it's not something I generally go for, is light enough to not give me a headache, and doesn't smell bad. The formula is great too. It's not greasy and takes a bit of time to soak in, but man does it leave my skin feeling amazing. My hands dry up like crazy during the colder months, and this is the only thing that keeps my skin hydrated.

on 8/18/2013 5:59:00 PM

I like this body butter, it has a nice smell and outdoes moisturize. I bought it for stretch marks and it has helped a bit. I like it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this on a sale at Ulta and fell in love. I love the smell of cocoa butter in general, but out of all the cocoa butter lotions I've used this one smells the best! It is just the right consistency, not greasy or heavy or too runny. I love that it comes in a tub rather than a bottle or squeeze tube, so you can use every little bit of it. It costs a little more than what I was used to paying for body moisturizer but to me it's worth every penny.

on 4/1/2013 9:49:00 AM

i absolutely love the smell and i love how a bit greasy it makes me feel. i use it during the night since its a bit greasy after a shower! feels really good.

on 3/11/2013 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The only thing I don't like about this product is that it smells so good it makes me want to eat myself.

update: I still love the smell but it's not as moisturizing as i need. When i apply it to my body after a shower, next morning my skin feels the same as it does without moisturizer.

Top Rated The Body Shop Products