Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

I'm 57 years old and have become a fan of the tightline method. I had heard such great comments about this cake eyeliner I decided to try it. Prior to that I had been using a dark brown shade of elf gel eyeliner in a little tub. Anyway, I do not like the color of this brown eyeliner. Way too much red for me. I returned it to Sephora.

I have used this on and off for years. The color is beautiful, but it can be a little tricky to use sometimes. If I use too much water, it becomes a smeary mess. If I use too little, it drags and doesn't really show up. I am also concerned about safety since this is used wet, so I make sure to replace it often.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Very unflattering on my complexion too pale a brown and draws out the sallowness around my eyes, quality wise generally disappointing in general. Takes alot of work to apply and even then the payoff is patchy and chalky don't even think of using this dry you will get zero payoff. I have the emerald green though and it is alot better than this shade.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Dry, difficult to use on the go, chalky, and generally underwhelming. I was told my the sales assistant that I wouldn't need the activator - even though I said I would buy it if it was necessary or really improved the product. If this worked well it would be great, I love the packaging and find it is easy to carry around... but try getting a defined eye! very, very difficult in my experience. And I'm using a gorgeous hakuhodo tightlining brush.

To me it's a Holy Grail product. I've NEVER had a good eyeliner experience. I have hooded eyes and oily eyelids, for years I just assumed that I was bound to never be able wear anything else besides mascara... until I saw a "tightlining technique" video (it consists of lining between the root of your eyelashes from below the top lashes with a small flat eyeliner brush). I decided to give it a try and because that area doesn't come in contact with the eyelid it stays perfect all day! The Mahogany Brown works really great for me: it gives definition without looking harsh in the daytime. I might buy the ebony one down the road. I'll post some photos because in the pictures the brown looks like it wouldn't be dark enough but once it's wet becomes a rich brown.

I was looking for something more natural looking. Nothing heavy handed. I had never used a wet the cake eyeliner before. There was a slight learning curve. A decent eyeliner brush helps. You do have to add another drop of water now and then and give that a few seconds to loosen the color up some. I learned to poke the brush up into my lash line from the underside first and then finish on top. Lasts all day with absolutely no flaking or smudging. I would buy again but I have a feeling this cake will last a very long time. Great product for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My favorite eyeliner ever and the only one I really use now. Still working on my first pan...this stuff lasts forever! If I ever run out, I'm buying another!

Edited 2/24/15: Still my go-to! I've tried others, but everything else smudges on me. The very dark brown suits me better than black and doesn't budge all day.

HATE this, I heard they changed the formula, I got this a few months ago and I would not recomend this.
The colour itself is very nice and rich brown but the texture is dry and you hardly get any product with your finger or brushes I tried it wet and still no results.
You can't get the product out at all, I had to throw mine away because it was just a real waste of money.
Really disappointed!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just got this recently, so my review is for the new formula. The color doesn't show, doesn't last, dry, chalky and hard to apply. Disappointing. Turned out the new formula requires a separate activator to enhance the intensity. Uh ohh. So that's $22 for the cake, another $20 for the Tightline Activator = $42 for an eyeliner. I really don't get it. WHY couldn't LM stick with the old formula so no extra stuff is necessary?

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Is a very soft brown, but can take some work to build-up the color. Would be great for a fairer individual. Using just to use up, and works on days I want to enhance my eyes without looking like I'm wearing e/l. I prefer a more striking color (black). Between being too soft of a brown and the nature of her cake requiring more fussing than using a powder e/s as a liner, I'm not in love with this. The first few times I used it, it offered a very subtle, flattering lined effect, then perhaps shadow from my brush mingled with the cake and now I have to scrape the top off to get any pigmentation. Powders are easier to use.