October 31, 2014 | 1389 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Lustre in Sophisto

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Lisau

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had asked an on-line MAC makeup artist for a recommendation for a light, YLBB shade and Sophisto was one of the recommendations. (I'm an NC20). When I first saw Sophisto at the store, my thoughts were "I asked for a LIGHT color - she must have misunderstood what I wanted". Just looking at the color of Sophisto in the tube, this color looks dark & vampy, especially for me whose collection of lippies consists of very light, natural lipcolors in shades of champagne/beige, peach, and light pinks.

However, after swiping it on my hand and applying it to my lips, it certainly is sheer, not at all what I thought it would be. One swipe of Sophisto, on my lightly pigmented lips, it appears as a sheer raspberry stain with tiny bits of gold flecks - very pretty, especially if you are into berry colored stains or lippies. Very nice, everyday, suitable for work shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 9:23:00 AM More reviews by hippychic823

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sophisto is my BFF!!! I don't know why this color isn't raved about more on YT or beauty blogs. It's a medium toned shimmery berry color with plum undertones. On me it's a MLBB color (for reference I'm olive skin with chestnut brown hair and lt brown eyes. Not sure what MAC foundation color I'am but I'm shade Barcelona in NARS Sheer Glow and it's almost a perfect match to my skintone, just a *touch* too pale though). This color is soooo versatile. I apply it sheerly 1-2 swipes straight from the bullet to my bare lips for a MLBB look; I can line and fill in my lips with a plum liner to bring out the plum tones for a darker look or I can line and fill in with a wine colored liner to bring out the berry tones. It looks amazing with a smokey eye and it looks amazing with minimal makeup. It's just a great everyday lippie to pull together any look and make you look polished. I can see this color looking fantastic on any skintones really. I just can't say enough great stuff about Sophisto. Don't let the way it looks in the tube fool you. It looks boring and dark and almost...brown??? But when you put it on your lips...something magic happens :) I will def be repurchasing this lippie until the end of time. Just a great everyday lip color. And the Lustre formula feels amazing. Not drying at all, and goes on sheerly so you can build the coverage to your liking and/or layer it with a liner or another lipcolor underneath.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by MadHattress

Sophisto, let me pledge you undying love. My favorite lipstick, I have dozens of mac lipsticks, I almost let them sit hardly ever used because I love Sophisto so much I wear it on a daily basis, it compliments a barely there makeup look, rocks a smokey night time look. It's my lips at their best. my lips but better, without being that boring neutral that washes your lips out. ITS PERFECTION. Hope M.A.C NEVER discontinues it. And yes I'm positive I'll buy back ups.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very understated color that looks a lot darker/bolder in the tube than it really is once applied. On my pigmented lips it's simply a little extra something that I can apply when I don't want bare lips but also don't want anything that takes time and effort to apply or that will be loud. The Lustre formula makes it moist and shiny and I find I can go without a prior application of lip balm when I use this one. It is a little sheerer than most lipsticks but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just depends on what you're looking for.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by zahra81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

A beautiful colour, but a bit too sheer for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2012 12:04:00 AM More reviews by SuburbanSue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In a nutshell: This is "O's" little sister.
I guess this color has been in MAC's line for a while, but I've just discovered it. I have this thing about lipsticks that are too vivid or too colorful. I think they look clownish on me. I tend to gravitate toward YLBB or red-brown shades. But something about Sophisto appealed to me, so I tried it on in the store. My first thought was, "Holy crap! It's too pink! Too bright!" But the salesperson went on and on about how well it complemented my coloring (I'm very pale, with brown eyes and blonde hair). I took it home, tried it with a neutral lip pencil, and realized she was right -- it's a great color on me. It's a very wearable shimmery mid-toned berry that isn't too bright and has some brown/plum undertones (although I would not classify it as a "brown" lipstick). Not a YLBB shade, but "calm" enough that it doesn't scream "hot pink shimmery lipstick!" like some colors do. The texture is smooth and not as drying as some MAC shades. It looks different in the tube from how it will look on your lips. It is similar to MAC "O," but a bit lighter and less vampy. I wore it the other night with Stila Kitten eyeshadow, a berry-toned blush, a black dress and a sparkly necklace and it was perfect.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by canadian

This is one of my favorite lipsticks from MAC. I would describe the color as a raspberry with gold flecks. However it's not glittery or frosty. I tend to wear this color more in autumn and winter. I don't like dark lipsticks and this color is perfect.
For reference I'm close to a medium skin tone, dark brown hair, green eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by RosieJ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is by far my favorite fall and winter MAC lipstick. It is a beautiful rosy/berry shade with gold shimmer.. I really like the lustre formula which goes on sheer. This lipstick is one notch up from MLBB on me. Just a little darker than my natural lip tone.It is also comfortable to wear and doesn't dry out my lips. I have repurchased this lipstick several times. For reference I am an NC30 with medium reddish brown hair and light brown eyes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sophisto is a glossy, sheer-but-pigmented, moist, plummy pink and I love it! Straight from the bullet it's a little too bold/dark for me so I usually put some lip balm on top of it to tone it down. Perfect - just wish it lasted longer!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by josie13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great colour. It looks so dark and brown but it gives my lips a lovely berry sheen. I also like the fact that when it has worn off it doesn't leave any harsh colour residue; it just fades.