April 20, 2014 | 1261 users online

Treatments - Peter Thomas Roth - Glycolic Acid 10% Hydrating Gel

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2014 5:35:00 PM More reviews by rachael1230

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do not recommend this to anyone as a daily product for ur skin care regimen. It is in no way hydrating nor did I see any improvement in pigmentation. It did however take are of my oily skin issue but that was just bc it did such a job in dehydrating my face like no other. I had gross flaking in the center of my chin that no makeup will conceal and the area around my nose has these awful lines that look like they are almost burned. I also see more lines around my eyes bc this dried me out there so bad as well. I could see someone who is really oily acne prone using this as a weekly treatment maybe..but def not daily. And not in place of a moisturizer. I stopped using it after two days and have been bathing my face with coconut oil ever since. This stuff is harsh!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by veronicacolombia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Definitely saw improvement to my skin - in terms of improving discoloration and smoothness. But after applying I had the feeling that it extremely dries out my skin... I waited as much as possible before putting a moisturizer but the feeling wasn't nice at all... So will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2013 11:24:00 AM More reviews by hypergal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I adore this product!

I recently had a bout of whiteheads on my cheeks. I've used Mario Badescu buffering lotion & drying lotion as well as benzoyl peroxide but to no avail. The whitehead kept on appearing, causing red bumps. I usually have a clear skin (combination + oily skin) with the occasional pimples during that time of the month.

I use the gel after using the un-wrinkle peel pads. A pump goes a long way. After applying the gel, I will wait for a few mins for it to be absorbed before applying Mario Badescu buffering lotion. For the first week, I used it on alternate nights to acclimatize my skin. Second week, every night. By the end of the 2 weeks, vast improvements on my skin can be seen. I did have some purging but it cleared up within the first week. After the 2 weeks, my skin was less bumpy and the whiteheads stopped appearing.

Third week onwards, I started to use it in the morning and evening on alternate days. It has been a month now, my skin is clearer, no more bumps, the red marks are fading and less obvious and pimples/whiteheads will clear up within a day or 2!

One lippie off due to the glass bottle and price. Otherwise, this product is indeed wonderful!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by LBooz16

I really like this a lot!! I haven't been using it long enough to give it the review it deserves but so far I'm loving it. My skin feels tight and bright the next day and it's not been drying at all so far. My only gripe is that it's in a clear bottle which makes me wonder if the lights are damaging the formula at all. Other then that it's really a great glycolic/hyaluronic acid combo.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by tigerlily217

I am on the fence about this product. First off, it absorbs very quickly so my face doesn't feel sticky, etc. Not the most hydrating during winter but otherwise it suffices. It doesn't irritate my skin or cause any breakouts. However, after using this product religiously for ten months, I don't notice a difference for my skin. I don't break out as often but my skin is still uneven, red and the hyperpigmentation scars are still apparent. It didn't aid in diminishing any of my scars, etc. It does make my skin feel a lot smoother though. I like how it feels on my skin so I might purchase this as a moisturizer but not for the benefits it claims.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by fushigisushi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews on this product, I decided I had to give it a try. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin and before using this product, I normally get whiteheads and the occasional red bump. I read that one reviewer's skin "purged" before it got any better so when I started getting painful red cystic acne around my jawline I continued to use this for a bit. Now I'm already halfway through the bottle and the acne on my jawline has not gone away so I think I will retire from this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used Peter Thomas Roth's glycolic acid 10% hydrating gel once daily for several years.

Positives
+ decent brand
+ decent ingredients
+ does not break me out
+ does not cause me a rash
+ large quantity for the price; the amount in 1 bottle could easily last me a year
+ can be used around my eyes with no ill-effects
+ does not sting at all
+ the pump on the bottle works fine - I've never had them clog up on me or malfunction

Negatives
- the bottle is clear, which allows for the formula to degrade quickly in the bottle due to light exposure
- the formula seems to lose all potency after 5 or 6 months, even though I always have more than half still left in the bottle, and at that point my skin begins to break out a little more and that's when I know to get a replacement bottle
- regardless of how little I apply, the resulting feel on my skin is kind of sticky, and it remains tacky even after drying completely, so it does not work well when layering it with foundation, sunscreen, or other products
- the glycolic acid percentage, in practice, affects my skin as if it's more like 5% than 10%. Even when I pile it on my face and neck and leave it on all day, there's no stinging or redness. This is not the case with other glycolic acid 10% products I've tried.
- the bottle is heavy and made of glass, which is not convenient for travel or using in places (like most bathrooms) with hard surfaces where an accidentally-dropped glass bottle can easily shatter

Due to some of the negatives (the trouble I have with layering it with other products, the vulnerability of the clear bottle to light degradation - especially of the vitamin C and other vitamins in the formula), I'm trying to find a different glycolic acid product.

I will be experimenting next with glycolic acid pads, where the product is meant to be rinsed off after 20 minutes or so, thereby not conflicting with other facial skincare items I want to use in the daytime, such as sunscreen, moisturizer, foundation, etc.

(By the way, unlike a lot of people, I cannot use a glycolic acid treatment at night -- for two reasons: 1. I have to use benzoyl peroxide at night because I find it impossible to use during the daytime, and I have to use benzoyl peroxide daily to control breakouts. 2. Somehow, when I use any glycolic acid product while sleeping, it migrates onto my lips and causes a great deal of lip-chapping by morning.)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 5:28:00 AM More reviews by AllyRaph

This product changed my life!!
I've been on acne treatments since I was 12 years old. Antibiotics, epiduo gel, the pill are the medicated things I used and I doused my face in every chemical known to man!! Even the terrible proactive :(
Then I did some research and found this little known brand Peter Thomas Roth.
I looked at the ingredients and it seemed to be legit so I picked up the face wash to start off with and got testers of the glycolic acid 10% gel and the oil-free moisturiser.

After two day I noticed my pours had gotten smaller and less noticeable and everything was coming to the surface. I do have to say, my skin did get worse before it got better. A bit of flaking and dryness as well as a few breakouts.

After a week it was a radical change that I'd never experienced. After years of searching I've finally found the product!! I also use epiduo just to keep everything in check but could probably go off it now :) No more awful antibiotics messing up my gut either!

I would definitely start using this product every other night and stay away from your lips, eyes and anything super inflamed... its pretty potent! Enjoy with a moisturiser and obviously facial cleanser. Stick to the cleansers and moisturisers of the same chemical compounds. Don't go natural for one and then hard-core for the other, they seem to counter react one another form my experience.

Here's to you Mr Roth!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2013 7:09:00 PM More reviews by augusta23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was tempted to return my half used bottle back to Sephora, but I decided to see if I would actually see some, if any, type of improvement in my skin if i were to finish it- I didn't. If anything, I think this exacerbated my mild acne.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

If I had to choose 1 item to use for the rest of my life, it's this gem. I had bad acne that responded well to Retin A, however once I turned 26 my insurance didn't cover Retin A anymore. So my dermatologist suggested purchasing the highest strength glycolic acid product I could find. I came across this gel years ago. Loved it. Keeps me clear and acne free. It was so hard not to use it during my pregnancy, the day I came home from the hospital, I restarted my glycolic gel and ahhh...beautiful skin again.

So if you're acne prone and don't get results with the typical BHA products, give this AHA product a try.