April 17, 2014 | 1491 users online

Cleansers - Shu Uemura - Cleansing Beauty Oil Balancer

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2013 3:35:00 AM More reviews by styra

This was the first cleansing oil I ever bought and used. I loved it at first, because of the novelty (way back many years). It heats up slightly as you spread across the face and it smells great too. However, after a few washes, my pores began to clog and I panicked. At first I thought it wasn't anything to do with the oil and even bought a second bottle. But I then decided to change to a normal cleansing fluid and then the pores emptied out slowly.

I've heard that mineral oil clogs pores, I'm not too sure about that. My pores became a victim of that. I then switched to Fancl Cleansing Oil and it's been great ever since.
The oil is really pricey too but not so in Japan.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2011 9:52:00 AM More reviews by pickles945

This is a great cleanser. I have combination skin with red patches round the cheeks, nose, temple. I'm always looking for a cleanser to take the aforementioned and this has been great! As dubious as I was, you know "can oil really clean like a foaming cleanser?" the amount of good press this gets it tipped me over th edge and it does live up to it. I use the green one; two pumps on damp hands and the I massage into my face for 2 mins and rinse. Follow-up with toner etc etc. highly recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2011 12:41:00 AM More reviews by joeylafille

Basically, my main aim to the Shu Uemura counter was to purchase the UV Under Base Fluid SPF20 PA+ - Beige and the girl was raving all about this product.

She tried abit of the product on my hand and my hands looked so much whiter that I decided to try it.

The Oil sadly was quite a put off for me at first, but I was AMAZED by how they dissolve and is nowhere near OILY when in contact with water!

They completely leave any traces of make up off my face!!
I do a counter check with my toner after wards and found that the cotton pad was completely clean as compared to other products!

As I'm a MUA who have to wear thick foundation, this is the product for me!

Pleasant enough! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2011 7:31:00 AM More reviews by Elfinoz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a sample of this with this month's beauty box, but I didn't really expect to like it. Having combo/oily skin the thought of putting oil on my face was just blech.

I was pleasantly suprised! This rinses clean away and doesn't leave any oily residue and it's great for removing waterproof mascara and long-wearing makeup. I generally dislike spending a lot of money on cleansers so I can't see myself purchasing the full size any time soon, but perhaps I will if I'm feeling extravagant ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2011 7:33:00 PM More reviews by tobias47

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My night cleanser for the past ten plus years. Love the fact that I can apply it to dry skin, then rinse off with warm water without the product foaming up. Leaves my skin very receptive to night cream. This is one product where I disagree with Paula, who finds it very standard; for me, it's any but in terms of being effective, gentle, and pleasurable to use. Although it seems very expensive, a little goes a long way -- I use maybe two bottles per year. I nearly freaked out when this product disappeared from stores, until I learned that US distribution is now entirely through the web. I first tried SU in Japan, and might just fly back there to buy more if it came to that!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by luisajames

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleansing oil works well for my skin. My skin is normal, no major problems and this works as my pre cleanser. I rarely use it alone so I don't feel any film on my skin but I like that it takes off all of my makeup very quickly, almost melting it away with very little trouble, even waterproof stuff very quickly. My skin has never reacted badly to this and i have never broken out. I've gone through one large bottle and am halfway through my second and it's been about 4 years since I started using the product. So a little goes a long way. It doesn't go bad of lose potency because it's an oil so that's awesome. But now that it's not available in stores in the u.s. I might look for a cleansing oil that doesn't have mineral oil once I'm done with this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2010 2:14:00 AM More reviews by Ewabili

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got the pink cleanser as a gift and was using Cetaphil cleanser at the time. I also started wearing more intense foundation and makeup a year ago (when you're in your 30's you have no choice to keep your skin looking young) and I found that Cetaphil was too gentle to really get rid of all the makeup I was using. Shu Uemura's cleansing oil will really lift any makeup you have on.

Also as I've gotten older and my skin has gotten dryer (originally it used to be oily), I've found that moisture is key,especially after talking with a 35 year old model who's skin was all plump and youthful. She told me her secret was natural oils, which I am now using to nourish and hydrate my skin, especially in winter. This cleansing oil leaves most of your natural sebum in place, while most cleanser will reach below the surface and strip your natural oils creating a vicious cycle of sebum over-production.

The trick is apply it on your dry face, massage and and wet your hands to emulsify it, then you have to really rinse it well (about a 1 min with cool water). I usually check the color of the water dripping from my face: when it's clear -- it's clean! I've been using it for 5 months and the 150ml bottle is one third full and I never had any breakouts from it. I think the challenge for most will be to miss the "clean feel" you get after using oil stripping cleansers and you have to get accustomed to it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by amandalsl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best cleanser that works for my oily to combination skin (since oil lifts away oil). I have used products that range from gel to cream to oil, and this balances my skin without drying it out. I'm currently using Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser and while it is effective, I think it dries my skin out a little. Shu's cleanser gets rid of everything - foundation, waterproof mascara and eyeliner, concealer, etc. I use this as a prior step to a daily scrub, which takes away any greasy residue that the oil may have left over. I have come across other oil cleansers that are more difficult to remove than Shu's, especially when they come into contact with your eyes. I can get Shu's cleanser out of my eyes with a few splashes of water. I also like the smell very much! XD This is the first cleanser I've ever used, and I might just stick to Shu's cleansers for life.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2010 8:55:00 PM More reviews by mcdownloadd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great product, had been reading reviews and doing research on this before I actually decided to buy as the price was expensive! But well worth every penny as the price per use is soooo affordable, mine lasted well over a year (450ml bottle). I now have the balancing oil, the green tea, whitening and the fresh versions. Well, I guess I won't need to buy anymore for the next 4+ years!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2010 6:13:00 AM More reviews by PMNIKOLA

I agree with the majority. FAB-product.
It is fool proof:
If you feel like it is too rich for you-the person who sold it too you has given you the wrong type.
-Although for me when I first got it I was sold the lightest one and still felt slippery.
---One of the purposes for Shu Uemura is to teach your skin how to hydrate it self and to balance out your skin so it can educate itself how to act like normal skin rather than being over active in certain areas.
My key when I still feel a little oily is to splash a little more water on my face adjitate my skin and if there is still the milky residue on it-you have not completley washed it off. hope this helps.